Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Hey all. If your in southern Alberta and want an easy way to get your license PM Winch101

cohod

Last edited by cohod; 05-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Take the test is a pretty easy way to do it!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Holy Crap! I took the test finally, and only got 3 wrong.... with my friend google's help. I even read the whole 'study booklet', but I read on here that some people said it was really easy. I figured it would be like the PAL, mostly common knowledge.

Well the test at boatexam.com seemed like it was geared for Big Boats and Big water. First question was this lighted buoy code.
"oh just great" I said.
"Now I'm screwed".

I finished with 4 mins left. If I didn't expect it to be a breeze, like I'm sure the Alberta 'Local exam challenge' is, I would have been fine. I usually over-study and take notes on everything in preparation for the "trick-questions". I hadn't a clue what a third of the answers were, 45 mins after reading (quickly) booklet.

The upside is I have my licence and I didn't have to do anything more then go next door to take the test.

If anyone plans on taking the test online theres a couple things they don't tell you until you pay.

1 - you'll need a Non-relative to "supervise" your test.
2 - you cannot take the test in your residence. (******ed I know)
3 - your not supposed to use any material, like I heard someone used google once. 8-)
4- study the booklet from the site. They charge $20 to let you print off the booklet, but if your handy with the mouse, its possible. Cough*Alt*Ctrl*Prt Scrn*Ahem! Even better, write out the booklet in a Notepad (windows), so you can 'find' keywords like Hypothermia for example.
5 - you get 45 mins but unless your from out east or the coasts and you know your Ship, the test I took was Killer, and I would have failed for sure had I not used material.

They asked me what two goverment agencies were key in mandating the Pleasure-craft licence, for an example of a BS question. Not something anyone would naturally pay attention to, obviously.

It cost me $42, and I should get it in 3-5 weeks. They let you print off a temporary certificate.

If you can take an test locally with little effort, I'd go that route. I live in the sticks, so online has its advantages. However if your planing on boating on Big water, or just want to know your Ship, the online is the way to go. I'm sure I could drive the Titanic now with all the Ship I know now.

Tight LInes.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:24 AM

it's totally a useless liberal cash grab. i have been driving a boat since i was in elementry school with no problems. now they tell me i need a license even if i just put the electric motor on my 12 ft aluminum. cause i am going to do lots of damage with that. but until this year i can drive a 20ft boat with a 300hp motor with no license so watch out. the reason most fish cops don't ask is because it is a federal issue and they are provincial. there are a lot of dumb questions about marker bouys and big scale water ways that don't apply here. it should have been grandfathered in if anything. just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM

My kid brother and I were laughing about it one day.
"yup, I can drive my 22' marathon with the 350 rocket, no sweat, but I'd better not be caught without a licence in my 10' crawdad"!!
The big reason as I was told was because of all the jet ski and small boat accidents.
We see more bigger boat wrecks up here, and most involve booze , BTW.
Cat
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Common sense

Most of you guys have been boating for years, so the test is "useless" and a "joke".
If you find the test easy, it is because you know the rules already. It is common sense and a little knowledge of your boat. Anyone with common sense can pass this test, and if you don't have common sense, you don't belong behind the wheel of anything powered by a motor.

Look at the changes to the drivers licence...way more complicated now than years ago when you walked in and payed 2 bucks for a licence--done deal!!

I think that changes need to happen because there is a lot more traffic on the roads and lakes too.

Yes, there are flaws in the system, but then there are flaws in every system and instead of complaining about the flaws, lets look for ways to improve them. Write a letter to your MLA, email the PM, and make some noise and present the discrepancies in the licencing.

I think there should be the same sort of thing for OHV operators too. Way to many kids getting killed on those. But then, the parents need to be educated as well.

In an aside: I got my PCOC 5 years ago in Feb and I was checked for it that spring...depends on who is checking I think.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I totally agree EyeLover. Complaining about it is pretty pointless. Sure its a cash grab in a sense, but what isnt? We all want more Enforcement but nobody wants to pay for it.

Sure in Alberta, learning about buoys is pointless, but 99% of the boats in Canada are near the Big waters. And on Big water, you better know your Ship. I've personally have almost been killed by some mofo in a 30' monster boat, so I'm not complaining about more marine regulations at all.

I mean, we all had to have seen this coming someday, no? You need a licence to drive a fork-lift, buy bullets, and even to play guitar on the street. Boats are pretty deadly vehicles if used improperly, so to be honest, I'm surprised its taken this long to require some sort of proficiency training.

I see stupid people doing stupid things on the water all the time. Most of the time they get away with it, but once in awhile they get whats coming, and then we all pay for their life saving surgeries, or your own if its your lucky day.

People think boating is like bath-time, and everyone is free to do as they choose. Making people sit down for an hour or two and learn the ABC's, and using their $40 to not only pay for the entire system, but motivate them to learn, is a good thing IMO.

So everyone who owns and operates a boat pays $40-$60 and everyone has to take their 'Boat learners'. Yet I'm sure the waters will be much safer and orderly, now that were ALL on the same page.

I honestly don't see the irony of needing the same instruction and knowledge if your in a 10' 2 seater, or a $60k boat. Most of the instruction and requirements are to keep yourself safe. In a 10' "water-snail" your more vulnerable then anyone, and you should be prepared for almost anything. Like getting caught in bad weather, for example.

And another positive spin on it, is now I have a excuse not to let my buddies drive for a bit. lol. I'm a wheel-hog.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Default a little confused

Just to be clear. Born in 1977 have 12' w/9.9 Do I have until sep 15? Or was I boating illegally this morning?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM

your good till Sep 15
Old 05-08-2009, 06:24 PM

I don't like it myself but like every other incident where the knuckleheads cause problems and the good people have to pay in the end, I just suck it up, pay the price and keep on boating. One good thing from this is that the spoiled little brat of a kid who's daddy has more money than brains cannot rent his 12 yr. old a high powered jet ski to run amuck on a lake. Thank you
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM

I throw a 5hp kicker on my drift boat in the spring to poke around pike fishing, I need a license for this?

Who does the enforcement and checking for this license?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM

I think anything short of hanging over the back and kicking your feet, you will need a licence.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Just to be clear. Born in 1977 have 12' w/9.9 Do I have until sep 15? Or was I boating illegally this morning?
Actually no, if it was a 14' you'd be okay but they dragged the 12' ers in with the PWC, I don't think anyone would push it though, no-one ever checked me in mine.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Default Writing Boat Operator License

Just wondering if anyone has tried writing exam with this before:

http://www.freecourse.ca/prices.php#mlexam

Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Good one alpikes.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Boating License (canada)

I took my Boating license online. Only took about half hour for 50 bucks

Boating License Ontario

Outdoors Guy