Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 05:37 PM

Default Paralysis by Analysis

This post doesn’t have much meaning or content, other then an inside on decision making. Does anyone else suffer from paralysis by analysis. Where you are looking for or researching something or look at reviews/feed back on stuff to gather all the information that you need to make a decision only to have further muddied the water of your decision making skills. With money getting tighter all the time there is only really a chance to buy right once. How can one make sure that you got the best thing you were looking to purchase.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:47 PM

My wife...but she either gets it right or there are no options but the last one standing...
Old 03-29-2024, 09:12 PM

Yea, I’ve been infected since birth. Luckily, I have another side that gets activated when I sense opportunity. For me, it comes down to wants and needs, and who owns them.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:31 PM

I have always done a lot of research into whatever I was buying, used to be magazines and now of course online. Very frustrating now as Google promotes for the first 5 to 10 pages those that are paying them most, and to me these are mostly useless. Reviews are partly fake now, you tube posters are there to mostly get their viewer numbers, and spend time with just general blah, blah, blah. So after a while I just say the heck with it, I probably don't need it anyway.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:33 PM

You guys can afford to buy stuff?
Old 03-29-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
This post doesn’t have much meaning or content, other then an inside on decision making. Does anyone else suffer from paralysis by analysis. Where you are looking for or researching something or look at reviews/feed back on stuff to gather all the information that you need to make a decision only to have further muddied the water of your decision making skills. With money getting tighter all the time there is only really a chance to buy right once. How can one make sure that you got the best thing you were looking to purchase.
Simple answer, you can't. But to complicate your life more, I would suggest you look at it in terms of risk; what is the risk of you getting it wrong? If we are talking about Mars Bar vs. Snickers, then you shouldn't waste a lot of time analyzing the decision.

I know for me, these days, I look at things I thought I would have really liked a few years ago and I look at the cost and I think "do I really need it?" It would seem that my value proposition has changed from "which one is better" to "do I really need it".

Don't get me wrong, I still buy stuff I don't "need" (and when I do I still want the best value), but it is a very conscious decision.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:21 AM

I couldn't buy things because I wanted them. I had to buy things that would make me money.

Prices usually determine the profitability of something but I also would always say to myself. If I owned this right now and needed to liquidate it. What would I get out of it? And this doesn't mean advertising it for months and dealing with a bunch of people. It means selling it within a week.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:44 AM

No matter what you are buying there will be a large price range for something that does the exact same thing, whether that is a tool, camera, gun or whatever. To a very large extent, the cheapest wrench will be of poor quality and come from a place like Princess Auto. The most expensive wrench will come from specialty suppliers like Snap On. Use a Princess Auto set of tools beside the same set made by Snap On and you can easily see the difference, but whether you will use that tool enough for the difference to matter is the question you need to answer. Also, how many years do you expect to own and regularly use that item.

For most anything you are buying that is not daily use in your line of work, the level just below the top tier is usually what gives long life of service and very good performance. They also usually sell for about 2/3s of the top line tool and about 40 to 60% more than the bottom line tools.

Whether it is guns, tools, vehicles, furniture or whatever, this relationship generally holds true.

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I spent extra to get top of the line rifles, scopes etc. Fifty years later I still have most of those guns, but the scopes have all been replaced as the technology and glass has now evolved to such a great extent. However, those original Redfields provided 20 or more years of trouble free service, and sold for as much as I had paid for them new.

I have applied the same reasoning to pretty much everything I buy. Since I have been downsizing stuff it has also become VERY clear that the higher quality gear has a much better resale value and a large demand for used items that the bottom quality stuff does not have.

So short form, to me the key issues are, how often will you use it, how critical is it that it works perfectly, how many years will you own it, and will you be reselling the item at some point down the road. Once I answer those questions picking the right quality is easy to answer, though I have to say, Princess Auto China Junk is almost never the solution I pick for anything.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:57 AM

Compare and shop till you find what you want, sit on it for a week or two. Do you have peace about it? If so, them begin to look for a deal, never get in a hurry, that's where bad decisions come from and that is why salesmen push. They know if you have time to think you might not buy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-30-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No matter what you are buying there will be a large price range for something that does the exact same thing, whether that is a tool, camera, gun or whatever. To a very large extent, the cheapest wrench will be of poor quality and come from a place like Princess Auto. The most expensive wrench will come from specialty suppliers like Snap On. Use a Princess Auto set of tools beside the same set made by Snap On and you can easily see the difference, but whether you will use that tool enough for the difference to matter is the question you need to answer. Also, how many years do you expect to own and regularly use that item.

For most anything you are buying that is not daily use in your line of work, the level just below the top tier is usually what gives long life of service and very good performance. They also usually sell for about 2/3s of the top line tool and about 40 to 60% more than the bottom line tools.

Whether it is guns, tools, vehicles, furniture or whatever, this relationship generally holds true.

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I spent extra to get top of the line rifles, scopes etc. Fifty years later I still have most of those guns, but the scopes have all been replaced as the technology and glass has now evolved to such a great extent. However, those original Redfields provided 20 or more years of trouble free service, and sold for as much as I had paid for them new.

I have applied the same reasoning to pretty much everything I buy. Since I have been downsizing stuff it has also become VERY clear that the higher quality gear has a much better resale value and a large demand for used items that the bottom quality stuff does not have.

So short form, to me the key issues are, how often will you use it, how critical is it that it works perfectly, how many years will you own it, and will you be reselling the item at some point down the road. Once I answer those questions picking the right quality is easy to answer, though I have to say, Princess Auto China Junk is almost never the solution I pick for anything.
Sometimes princess makes sense.
Example I bought a tire changer on sale for $100
I could easily spend thousands on a good one but that $100 one made me money . Now I'm just changing my own tires. I don't have enough work to make a $5000 tire changer ever pay for itself.
I have tons of princess wrenches. If i had all snap on I would have hundreds of thousands tied up in wrenches. Money that I need to spend on other things.
Sand blaster . I started off with a princess one but modified heck out of it. Some stuff like the tips I bought from professional places but most of it from princess. I hook it up to several air compressors at once. It works like a $10,000 set up but I have less than a grand into it. For me it makes financial sense
Old 03-30-2024, 03:00 PM

If it’s for a one-time use, then I’ll buy the least expensive (and often still regret it!). But otherwise, I’ll buy the best, or one tier below. I still use the Makita poewer tools I bought as a teenager 50 years ago.If it’s a discretionary purchase - for my toys or hobbies - I’ll almost always buy used - from buy & sell forums - and I’ll very seldom pay more than 1/2 of ‘new’ retail.

It’s amazing how many guys will buy a top-of-the-line sporting items, envisioning themselves out, enjoying its use - but life gets in the way and they never use it. It sits in the closet for a year or a few, and they realize getting out and using it, is just a pipe-dream. Or their wife bugs them about it - so they sell it - cheap. I’ve almost never purchased new but I had a great selection of Islander / Sage / Hardy stuff, and a cabinet of Sako & Berettas. Even top brands of clothing - and Smithbilt hats!!!

But you’ve got to know what you’re buying, - your research must already be done (or you really really trust the brand), no more over-analyzing and be prepared to move quickly when one comes up. No dilly-dallying, or the best deals will be gone!
Old 03-30-2024, 03:08 PM

Although I’m thorough in ‘research’ and in preference for near ‘top-of-the-line’ items, once I’ve made the purchase, I forget all about the price I paid!

Someone can ask me a week later ‘What did you pay for that rifle?’, and I honestly can’t remember! I agonized over the price before purchasing, sought the best deal, but once that decision was made, I just file it under ‘Unimportant’. No sense in regretting or second-guessing the purchase - the deals done!

People think I’m ‘being cute’, or old school about it being impolite to ask about money - but I honestly can’t recall, and would have to go back to looking up receipts ! I very seldom do! Whatever I paid, to me - it was worth it!
Old 03-30-2024, 03:30 PM

Thumper - you make an excellent point about buying used. Your research tells you what the best makes are and what they sell for new, if you watch the buy sell pages you can pickup some great deals on near new, top quality gear. Interesting thing about good quality gear, own it a few years and even bought new it will sell for more than you paid for it. Even more likey to happen with used when you buy it.

Keeping your gear in top shape makes a huge difference too. A lot of stuff I sell, particularly vehicles, are bought by friends and associates because they know how picky I am about keeping stuff in top shape.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:21 PM

This talk of princess auto tools reminded me of my daughter. When she was little I was going to run into princess auto for something. Her mother wanted her to wait in truck with her but she begged to go in the store with me so I took her.
She was so disappointed!
Apparently she thought it was as store for princess things.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:38 PM

My current dilemma is tires it seems any set of tires I have looked at are all $2k. That’s allot of scratch for me. I want to them to last but with good performance.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
My current dilemma is tires it seems any set of tires I have looked at are all $2k. That’s allot of scratch for me. I want to them to last but with good performance.
Costco or Canadian Tire on sale saved me more than 30%. Last set of Tires for my 2500, 18", were $1,300 from CT. The 20" Michelin tires for the Jeep were 1450 at CT, on sale. If I was in Calgary or close I would go see Tire Bob.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Thumper - you make an excellent point about buying used. Your research tells you what the best makes are and what they sell for new, if you watch the buy sell pages you can pickup some great deals on near new, top quality gear. Interesting thing about good quality gear, own it a few years and even bought new it will sell for more than you paid for it. Even more likey to happen with used when you buy it.

Keeping your gear in top shape makes a huge difference too. A lot of stuff I sell, particularly vehicles, are bought by friends and associates because they know how picky I am about keeping stuff in top shape.
I have to second this. BNIB miter saws out of a guy's garage for 60% new, etc. I'm shooting & selling rifles I bought off Bargain Finder.

Perhaps there's used tires turned in with lots of life left. Check your tire dealer.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-31-2024, 08:52 AM

I have learned the hard way when I was younger and couldn't hardly scratch together two nickels of buying items on the cheap only to have to go out and replace with better quality and thereby spending more than if I had just ponied up and bought right first.

As a buddy of mine says.. I do not have enough money to be cheap!

DR
Old 03-31-2024, 08:58 AM

Buy once, cry once.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You guys can afford to buy stuff?
I like watching the item until it says 1 in stock then I wait some more and it shows out of stock and I'm like "ya didn't need it anyway I guess" lol
Old 03-31-2024, 10:23 AM

He who hesitates is lost. Some people spend too much time over thinking every situation in their life.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-31-2024, 01:45 PM

Wink Toys cost money

Quote:
$2k? That's not your average grocery getter.
Specifically for tires, I check out the reviews on sites like 1010tires and discounttiredirect to get an idea what others have experienced with specific tire models I am considering. Look for reviews with similar vehicles and geographic locations and disregard the reviews that don't match up. ie. ignore the review from the overloaded welding truck in New Mexico and the swamp buggy in Louisiana, the weight is different and neither will experience snow and ice at -40C YMMV
Once you've narrowed down the options, ask on here and hope that TireBob chimes in with his opinion.
Then make a decision.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-31-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
$2k? That's not your average grocery getter.
Sadly when your looking for 35ish LT tires on a one ton by the time you factor in mount and balance that’s the going rate. Every time I narrow down a choice I read a bad review that leaves me second guessing.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Sadly when your looking for 35ish LT tires on a one ton by the time you factor in mount and balance that’s the going rate. Every time I narrow down a choice I read a bad review that leaves me second guessing.
I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but have you checked online for gently used or takeoffs? I bought some used, about 85% left, for less than 50% of MSRP. Had never bought used tires, and although I looked them over pretty closely, I was still a bit uncertain. 10 months later it was a great decision.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:32 AM

I feel you, even if you find good reviews online on a place like here you often get competing opinions. Unfortunately the internet is full of "experts" and people who gobble up whatever said "experts" think.

Just have a look in the comment sections on Facebook videos or Reddit and see how many people think someone is doing it "wrong".

Looking for the best "thing" is a fool's errand. I look for things that have a decent track record, known brands, and reviews for big red flags and then I look for a good return policy and I use my experience with knowing what will work.

I avoid Amazon like the plague, and purchase from smaller vendors as I find that you can often weed out crap that way. I also look at user reviews to try and decide if the people have experience or if they just like to hear themselves talk. I find you-tube videos good not because of the review, but because often you get to see the object up close and see different angles so you can make an assessment of its quality.

The bigger question is I look at what I have and ask myself - why I am upgrading/buying it and am I even using the things that I have? The second part is the most important in my mind. Often I find myself looking at things for hobbies I want to do, but I'm not using the stuff that I already have so why do I need more?

My observation of people out in nature enjoying themselves is that they have gear that is mismatched, old, repaired with duct-tape or twine, and somewhat beat. Often people with the super optimized fancy gear spend all their time reading reviews, selling unused items on Facebook, and working to pay for it.

Then if I still think I want/need something, I look at reviews for obvious red flags, but I do tend to look at the mid to high range products.

For example, in general, I've never regretted buying a better tool, but I have regretted buying the cheap one. However, I have a corded electric impact that I bought from CT for $80 that has done everything I needed it to. I realized I didn't need a cordless one for the 2 times a year that I change tires.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:21 AM

yup.!! I do this all the time.
Did it when looking for a new used vehicle., I do it for big purchases. Appliances, vehicles, anything where I have to spend a lot of money.

I just went through this with a new car stereo to upgrade form factory in my old truck. Made a choice. Something basic and simple. Then started the second guessing and the mind changing and the review readings. ended up changing my mind and wanting something different, only to find that the research into the newly chosen option ended the same way. More confused and paralyzed than before, and far less confident in my choice.

I find when It happens, it's usually because I am researching or reviewing something I am unfamiliar with or know very little about the finer details. OR, and this is the more perplexing side of this, I have very little trust in the quality of anything these days, nor the people selling the item and that I am being naively taken advantage of in some way.

Eventually I either walk away completely, or just bite the bullet and go for it and hope for the best.
More times than not I have come away with a positive experience. But other times I have gotten totally screwed.....thus adding to my further mistrust of things and people.