Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 05:49 PM

Default Browning A Bolt 300 Win Mag

I just recently purchased my first big game rifle. I was looking at some reviews that mentioned quite a bit of recoil from the gun I got which doesn't bother me for the most part. Just wondering if theirs any muzzle breaks anyone would suggest buying or if anyone is selling any let me know!
Old 03-29-2024, 05:57 PM

Do not install a brake, unless you are prepared to use hearing protection for every shot fired, including while hunting. A single shot with a braked rifle, without hearing protection can result in permanent damage to your hearing.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:09 PM

I sold one a few years ago. Awesome rifle with meat in freezer & stuff on the wall. Gun didn't kick bad at all with the 26" tube. I really like the semi-detachable mag as well.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-29-2024, 07:00 PM

That's a nice rifle and cartridge
A couple of things for recoil

-The overall weight comes into play .. You sound young and if weight dosen't matter I would put a nice but heavier scope and rings on . Get it to 8.5-9 lbs if carrying it is not an issue

-Recoil pads on the Browning are quite good however the Limbsaver might work a bit better at recoil reduction

-there's a diff in bullet weight , 200 gr vs 165

- time at the bench can be limited to sight ins. Shooting in the field at game really is not the same as in felt recoil

Enjoy your new rifle ..that's a good one
Old 03-29-2024, 09:52 PM

300 win is a cartridge to do it all .Guy like smaller cartridges because of recoil ,but where I hunted if something ever goes wrong and the bullet hits a willow or small branch your next shot might be 600 or 800 . At 300yards in the last hour of daylight ,you can't see a 1/4 inch small poplar and they all grow that size fast 5 feet high plus.

This is where it shines, you may never have this happen, but if it does you got plenty of energy to reach out and stop it dead in it's tracks .

Doesn't mean a guy just fires away ,still need proper shot placements always . But when crap hits the fan a 300 win is good to have . A 180 grain bullet at 3000fps is a hammer big time.

If a guy hasn't hit a branch or twig in his life he hasn't hunted cut outs or heavy bush area's . You can hear the smack at 300 yards easy on a good size animal with a 300 win. Sight it in on a bench and practice off the bench .

Good choice .
Old 03-30-2024, 11:37 AM

Avoid a brake. Absolutely deafening. A good recoil pad will help a lot although my son finds his factory A bolt recoil pad works just fine.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:42 PM

Anything that Browning has attached their name to is pretty decent stuff .
Old 03-30-2024, 01:59 PM

Default Muzzle Brake

I have been at the range several time, where I have seen shooters flinch, and with every size of shooter. I have seen 3 people scope themselves, 1 was north of 6 foot and 240 lbs. Recoil does induce flinch. If you are not sure if you flinch or not, have someone load your rifle with an empty case (some where in the stack) so that you don't know which round is the blank. you will know if you flinch or not, right away. Muzzle brakes reduce recoil, which help stop flinching. Flinching induces poor accuracy.

Every rifle that I own larger than a 257wby (13 including one 257wby) has a Muzzle brake.
There is a multitude of hearing protection types on the market, that are very easy to use. For me it is a no brainer, Muzzle brake!
Old 03-30-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Moose View Post
I have been at the range several time, where I have seen shooters flinch, and with every size of shooter. I have seen 3 people scope themselves, 1 was north of 6 foot and 240 lbs. Recoil does induce flinch. If you are not sure if you flinch or not, have someone load your rifle with an empty case (some where in the stack) so that you don't know which round is the blank. you will know if you flinch or not, right away. Muzzle brakes reduce recoil, which help stop flinching.
Flinching induces poor accuracy.

Every rifle that I own larger than a 257wby (13 including
one 257wby) has a Muzzle brake.
There is a multitude of hearing protection types on the market, that are very easy to use. For me it is a no brainer, Muzzle brake!

Not only recoil causes flinching, the extra noise from a brake, can also cause flinching. As for hearing protection, many people find them a hindrance while big game hunting, especially on a windy day. The Walkers muffs are extremely annoying on a windy day, as are most sound amplifying muffs.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:47 AM

Witt Machine makes excellent muzzle brakes. I have a few on my rifles, including a 300wm.
I wear hearing protection when shooting(foam plug) but not during hunting. i work in compressor buildings daily so and have my hearing tested yearly with passing tests. Muzzle brakes transform a rifle in a positive way. I don't understand why people think otherwise but that's their experience so don't discount it.
Besides recoil management the added benefit of target acquisition after the shot is invaluable. Enjoy your new rifle!
Old 04-08-2024, 02:39 PM

I cant recommend a specific break, but I have one on my old ruger M77 300 win mag. It is a heavy gun, which helps recoil a lot, but the break helps quite a bit as well, or it must because that original Ruger butt pad is rock hard.

The guys I hunt with don't think that it is that much louder than a similar gun without a break when out in the open... I have only shot it 3 times without muffs/foamys and it wasn't brutal, not pleasant but not the worst I have experienced. I wouldn't hesitate in a pinch to not cover my ears, but I wouldn't go out of my way to not use protection

At the range, one of my buddies damn near hit the roof on my first shot when we were sitting at benches side by side in the shack Said that between the boom and the concussion he felt it scared the heck out of him

I think break design has a lot to do with the sound experience. The one on my 300 is a simple 3.5 to 4 inch tube with holes drilled through it so the gas dissipates in a 360° pattern 90° to the muzzle, this design is much much "quieter" than the break I had on a 7.62x54. The break on the 7.62x54 was a multi "finned" design and it forced the exiting gases back and to the sides, no way for the gas to go up or down. This break was very efficient but I would never, ever even think about shooting it without protection, even with muffs it was really really loud. This makes sense since it is forcing the gases backwards instead of at a 90° angle to the muzzle.

I always have my ear protection and for the most part, I am taking fairly long shots with time to take my time, so I just pop the muffs on. Depends on your situation, I do not do tight brush hunting where I need my ears with that gun.

YMMV but I really like the one on my 300 and I would recommend a similar design. I do not think the same gun with a finned design that forces the gases to the side and back would be good for a hunting rifle, I would not want to shoot it without ear protection and would 100% flinch from the sound. The finned design will work more efficiently to reduce recoil, but the trade off is they are really really loud
Old 04-08-2024, 02:58 PM

Dont listen to the Fuddlore about brakes, just wear a pair of those wraparound ear plugs around your neck while hunting and pop them in before a stalk or before you shoot. Anything that helps accuracy is good.

You say first big game rifle, I'm hoping that 300 win isnt your first rifle ever? Thats a tough caliber to learn on.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:39 PM

In order to be good with 300 you have to shoot it regularly from field positions.
In order to afford ammo you have to reload.
Shoot reduced loads until you get really good with it and then gradually increase loads.
Not do much about shooting a lot a few times of year but more about shooting it on weekly basis year round.
Scope with a lot of eye relief for prone position
Shotgun recoil pad is not a bad idea.

Tags
ammo, gun, hunting, scope, shooting