Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Default Bow for 8 year old Daughter

Well my daughter has not showed a lot of interest in bow shooting.The last year or so,going with dad shed hunting,being in the backyard while I am shooting etc,she has started showing some interest.
What is the best way to introduce her to shooting?
Do I go get a cheap walmart kids setup? Have been looking at a Mathews Mini genesis but not sure if that would be a good way to start.What you think?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecustom View Post
Well my daughter has not showed a lot of interest in bow shooting.The last year or so,going with dad shed hunting,being in the backyard while I am shooting etc,she has started showing some interest.
What is the best way to introduce her to shooting?
Do I go get a cheap walmart kids setup? Have been looking at a Mathews Mini genesis but not sure if that would be a good way to start.What you think?
I picked my Son up a Martin "Tiger" @ WSS.....it can adjust from 10-20lbs....it has a capture style rest which makes it safe for the little ones. He has a blast going out with it....it wasn't too spendy and if they decide they aren't into it you aren't out a bunch.....he just turned 9 in January and he does well with it.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 PM

I started with my daughter with a recurve at 5, she is 8 now and shoots a Razor's Edge. If your around Red Deer speak to Irma at Wolverine. She know a lot about getting childeren into it. And how to strengthen there muscles in there back so you don't hurt there spine.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperV7 View Post
I started with my daughter with a recurve at 5, she is 8 now and shoots a Razor's Edge. If your around Red Deer speak to Irma at Wolverine. She know a lot about getting childeren into it. And how to strengthen there muscles in there back so you don't hurt there spine.
Ya Irma is great.Sounds like she spends a lot of time with kids teaching them the sport
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecustom View Post
Ya Irma is great.Sounds like she spends a lot of time with kids teaching them the sport
If you want great service head on over to RedDeer Archery center and talk to Pat. They run a kids program there for beginners up. They also have many diff types of bows there for kids to try so they will know what they like.....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM

I bought both my girls 9 and 11, the diamond nuclear ice for xmas. they love them. bow is good from 15 to 30 lbs and shoots 220 fps. paid $150 each on sale.
10" Fuse Carbon Blade Stabilizer
Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Find a local club or shop that has worked with younger kids. There are alot of different options out there. My daughter is 8 and is shooting an Alpine and loves it but I do find that she goes back and forth with shooting. She likes it one day and then the next could not bother with it. It is important to remember too that when dealing with younger children we put more focus on form and consistany than hitting the center bullseye. I have seen a number of kids get frustrated and quit because they cant hit the target center right away.

Hope this helps

Good Luck and Have fun!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM

I bought my son a Darton Jr. for his 8th birthday. It goes from 15# to 45# and has a draw length from 17" to 27". I figured it would take him up to an adult bow. His shooting interests are sparatic and he's now coming up on 14. Needless to say he's grown quite a bit. The bow has to make another trip to WSS to get adjusted. I'm not gonna try to figure out the cam and string length adjustments. Good bow, a little spendy at the time, around $350 with quiver and sight. He shoots LH so I didn't want to be looking for 2-3 bows before he got his adult bow. The folks at WSS north sold me the bow and are great at tuning it. The guys at the south store....not so much. My experiences only...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM

PSE has several bows for kids, including the Mini Burner
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 AM

I bought my oldest a Matthews Mission Craze and my youngest the Hoyt Ruckus, My 6 yr old nephew has a Nuclear ice, and we are just waiting for the Atomic to come in for my nieces.

There are a couple of factors that you are going to want to look at before you buy, Price range, what draw weight they are comfortable with, over all size, and if they do want to continue are you willing to upgrade them later or pay a little more now and get something that will last them longer.

My personal opinion, for what is worth. My oldest is planning on hunting this fall with me, that is why I bought her a Craze, due to the range of draw weight (15-70 lbs). It will last her for a long while, hopefully
My youngest needed a lower draw weight to start and can't hunt for a couple of years yet, so the Ruckus at 10 -30 lbs works great for her.
My nieces and nephew have not shown that archery is something they will stick with so that is why we went with the nuclear ice and atomic's,strickly because of price. If they stick with it, then I will upgrade them

It is a very personal choice, and only you will be able to make it. But some great help from someone who knows bows will make it much easier. If you are in the edmonton area, I dealt with Sherwood Park Archery Lanes and would highly recommend them.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Kids bow

I've also been looking for a bow to start my 6 yr old son with. Went to Jimbows and he shot the nuclear ice but it scared him that bow is definitely not a toy. A couple weeks later we went to trophy book and he tried shooting a recurve, well he loved it and even got his first bullseye. So I have a 18# recurve on order, I figure keep it simple and ensure its fun, if he wants a compound later great in the mean time I might buy myself a recurve they are fun to shoot!

Good luck
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM

I bought my son an Bear Appearance. He's also is 6. He has an 18" draw and it will go down to 15lbs at that draw length. But my friend bought the New Apprentce 2 for his son and he has 19 inch draw. We can only get it down to 25lbs at that draw length. Which ever kid is different, but he struggles with the 25lbs.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM

My daughter is 7, and I have her shooting a Matthews mini genesis. No definite draw length, and its max weight is 12 pounds. It's perfect for her. My 5 yr old daughter shoots a samick little angel recurve. At 8, I would be focusing on fun! Shooting a bow that is too much weight, or too many bells and whistles, is not fun! I don't think I would get the bear apprentice (or it's equivalent) until
She's a few years older! But that's just me!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
My daughter is 7, and I have her shooting a Matthews mini genesis. No definite draw length, and its max weight is 12 pounds. It's perfect for her. My 5 yr old daughter shoots a samick little angel recurve. At 8, I would be focusing on fun! Shooting a bow that is too much weight, or too many bells and whistles, is not fun! I don't think I would get the bear apprentice (or it's equivalent) until
She's a few years older! But that's just me!
My daughter has been shooting Dismound Edge compound since she was 5, she is turning 9 this summer. My son has been shooting his Apprentice for six months now. He just turned 6. You would be very surprised how fast they catch.

Baring the fact you have the skills and are capable of setting up a compound and teaching your child how to shoot.

To make it fun I blow balloons the size of a orange and for every balloon they hit they get a dollar. My last outing cost 36 bucks.

They will be taking in there first 3D shoots this summer.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
If you want great service head on over to RedDeer Archery center and talk to Pat. They run a kids program there for beginners up. They also have many diff types of bows there for kids to try so they will know what they like.....
I have two kids that shoot , my daughter is 11 and my son is 7 both take part in the juniors program at Red Deer Archery , Pat is an amazing coach and takes the time to make sure your child is set up with the right bow , she is a very busy lady at times but the kids come first , we have been very happy with both the mission craze and the riot that she set us up with , my wife shoots the Diamond Razor and it has been a great bow as well , I would also recommend doing a little shopping and trying to see what fits best , I do know in Red Deer the larger of the two shops may have a little more on the shelf but the price is also a lot higher for the same product and a little less service , good luck in your ventures
Bowtech Assassin 330FPS 29"DL #60 DW