Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Question Choosing a bow

Well found out today my hunting partner bought a new bow, Since im having a hard time finding different cams for my handed down bow, I must now buy a new one. So other then choosing a bow with a draw weight Im comfortable with and getting the proper draw length. What should I look at or keep in mind while choosing a bow?? For now I have no price range as I dont know what I should be looking at when choosing a bow.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Shoot as many brands as you can and pick the one feels the best to you. If that don't work buy a Mathews.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Shoot as many brands as you can and pick the one feels the best to you. If that don't work buy a Mathews.

Good luck.
haha good answer
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Go to your local pro shop and get a Staffer that knows his equipment to measure you and set up diiferent bows for you to shoot in your price range and then pick the one you like shooting the best,Your the one hunting with it and spending the money on it.Have fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Hi winger - one of the most important factors for choosing a hunting bow, at least I believe so, is choosing one with a longer brace height. Yes a shorter brace height means that the bow will have a longer powerstroke, but the trade off is that they are less forgiving to shoot.

A lot of the speed bows have brace heights of 5 to 6 inches, but there are many options with longer ones. For me personally, I wouldn't go below 7 inches - perhaps if I shot some of the newer models out now my opinion on that may change, but for me personally I favor the ease and forgiveness of a longer brace height.

But definitely make sure you shoot a few different bows and get the one that you enjoy shooting the most, don't worry about brand x or brand y too much and all the marketing hype.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Heckler is right. The main thing to look for is Brace height. Wearing bulky hunting clothes you need as much clearance as possible. I dont kno how many guys I have talked to have made the mistake of buying into the hype of a 5" BH 340fps IBO bow and regret that decison because they cannot hit the broadside of a barn.

There are lots of bows out there to choose. I have a Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT on the way for a killing stick this year. Can't wait to get it!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Some guys can shoot smaller brace heights just as well as longer ones,I Prefer 6" on my axe 6 over anything smaller but can shoot an omen or omen pro with my winter hunting gear on just as well as a longer brace height,When i started i shoot a 7" Brace height,For starting the longer the better,But as you grow as a bowhunter i learned to adapt and can shoot any brace height really good,i beleive once you get comfortable and shooting awhile.I Have found a Longer Ata holds better for me now then my shorter bows.I Like a 32"-35" Ata for a Hunting bow but like my Shorter bows for Hiking and Spot n Stalk and Hunting Turkeys out of a Ground Blind.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Hit a pro shop!! best thing to do is shoot them all and make a choice..i own a pro shop and shoot hoyt but i always make guys shoot all the main lines and choose from there..remember bows are like politics or trucks guys will say has to be mathews or has to be hoyt ect.. Buy what u like even if its lower end..In the end your accuracy will depend on your confidance in the bow you shoot..

Mathews, pse, hoyt and bowtech have great bows..and theres many more then that out there and they are great as well!!

I shoot a hoyt carbon element for a hunting rig and a carbon matrix for target..

good luck
rob
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM

If you can try out an APA bow, not only are they amazing bows to shoot and their customer service is unbelievable, they are also a Canadian made product