Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Just A few Archery Questions.

So i get a call from someone at pipestone archery, NOT Jim but just someone that was there and was asking me about our Archery Shoot we are having this spring. Jim was nice enough to post our poster up there for us.

So the guy says your having a shoot and says there is 8 of us who would come,then asks what kind of targets we are shooting. I tell him they are brand new McKenzie targets. He quickly cuts me off talking and says well we wont be coming now. Says if the were Rinehart targets they would come but they are not coming to shoot at a Mckenzie target. Said they are ****, junk.
I tries to explain to him that they are brand new never been a arrow in them but he said he wasnt coming to have arrows pass through targets ect ect ect.

He said the mother of all shoots was terrible, Arrows passing through targets bouncing off targets, He said it was not good and that they would not be shooting any targets unless they were Rinehart targets. I went to the mother of all shoots and other than one target the "Beaver" was the only target that was shot out pretty bad. Did any one else exsperince arrows passing through brand new McKenzie targets?

Anyways my shoot is for fun and they are McKenzie targets with a few Delta targets, So every one is aware prior to coming that has a problem with McKenzie targets, Its also for a great cause as well. I am not sure if there are many shoots out there that have just Rinehart targets are there? Any ways each to there own but holy Cow its just a shoot for charity.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Guy sounds like a first class a#$hole to me.
There is nothing wrong with your targets,I shoot an APA king cobra with easton full metal jacket arrows.
If anyone would pass through it would be me.
I would shoot your targets in a heartbeat.No worries.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM

I hate pulling arrows from mckenzie targets way more than rinehart but it sure wouldn't stop me from coming to a shoot. The guy must not be able to get to many shoots because I don't know many clubs who shoot exclusively rinehart. I doubt there will be many pass throughs on new targets and it will take a lot of clubs a long time to put as many shooters through as the mother did in 2 days.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Can you PM me details about your shoot? I would be interested in knowing more about it.

LC
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Can you PM me details about your shoot? I would be interested in knowing more about it.

LC
me too.

Any target that stops my arrow and allows me to pull it out is A+ in my book.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Default Archery Details.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
So i get a call from someone at pipestone archery, NOT Jim but just someone that was there and was asking me about our Archery Shoot we are having this spring. Jim was nice enough to post our poster up there for us.

So the guy says your having a shoot and says there is 8 of us who would come,then asks what kind of targets we are shooting. I tell him they are brand new McKenzie targets. He quickly cuts me off talking and says well we wont be coming now. Says if the were Rinehart targets they would come but they are not coming to shoot at a Mckenzie target. Said they are ****, junk.
I tries to explain to him that they are brand new never been a arrow in them but he said he wasnt coming to have arrows pass through targets ect ect ect.

He said the mother of all shoots was terrible, Arrows passing through targets bouncing off targets, He said it was not good and that they would not be shooting any targets unless they were Rinehart targets. I went to the mother of all shoots and other than one target the "Beaver" was the only target that was shot out pretty bad. Did any one else exsperince arrows passing through brand new McKenzie targets?

Anyways my shoot is for fun and they are McKenzie targets with a few Delta targets, So every one is aware prior to coming that has a problem with McKenzie targets, Its also for a great cause as well. I am not sure if there are many shoots out there that have just Rinehart targets are there? Any ways each to there own but holy Cow its just a shoot for charity.
I passed thru a couple of targets at the mother, but it was to be expected with that many arrows over the course of the weekend. If a guy won't shoot because you don't have a certain brand of target then good, too bad for him. Good luck with your shoot. I hope everyone has a great time. If I can I'll be there as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 AM

If he had problems with arrows bouncing of targets or getting pass throughs at the mother, maybe he should try to shoot for the X ring, instead of shooting line bitter 0's........ What a tool!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Honest I didn’t miss, the arrow just passed right through, mark me down as a ten it was a good shot.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Well here is my take on it....

I pass through my far share of targets with skinny arrows with heavy tips... I prefer rinharts over mackensies mainly because rineharts are easier to pull arrows out of...

I also prefer rineharts as a club range guy because they have replaceable kills... and self healing foam...

Now the same huy is complaining of pass throughs and hard to pull!....

Well you usually have on or the other...

When you are setting your shoot here is my advice... keep targets where the average shooter will be able to land arrows in the replaceable kill zone. Nothing frustrates average archers more than looking for arrows.... arrows in scoring zone where target is softer are easier to pull than when you have to pull one out of the animals rear....

By average archer I mean the guy that makes one shoot a year for fun!... These are the guys we want at shoots.

They are there for fun, They are not going to whine and complain about every little thing and if guy is being a jerk... you know you probably don't need his happiness!...

Putting on a shoot is a service to archers... Some archers have this sense of entitlement that you are doing the shoot host a favour by showing up!....with their 40 or 50 bucks to shoot at $20,000 worth of animals!...

I love the big macho 80 lb bow shooters who feel their arrow should be the one to pass through...

What is going to pass through better a heavy baseball at 90 feet per second or a light needle at mach 6!...

PS sounds like you are dealing with the happiness that I have had to deal with for years as a tournament director!...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Crapola I'm working that weekend. Sorry