Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 PM

Default bow tuning

any one find paper tuning to be a waste of time any one find walk back tuning to work better
Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 AM

LMAO, do both. They both tell you the same but different. I hate walk back tuning. I do it to tell me I need to paper tune.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM

I allways paper tune.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
I allways paper tune.
x2 and bareshaft tune aswell !!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Any tuning is not a waste of time.

Paper tuning, walk back tuning, and bare shaft tuning all have a purpose... you can also add broadhead and tiller tuning to that list.

Depending on the skill of the archer, tuning can be quite infuriating, and in some instances, redundant. But you are maximizing your bow and arrows potential and efficiency, albeit maybe from a 95% to a 99%-100%.

I know many shooters who simply broadhead tune, call it done, fill a tag or two and are more than satisified.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM

does any one find you have the bow paper tuned and then when you walk back tune you need to move the rest a bit to get a good line of arrows at 15 20 and 25 yards and then back to check the paper tune and you have a off tear in the paper but the bow is shooting great groups
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Paper tuning get you fairly close, walk back tuning gets you really close, and a combination of bare shaft and broadhead tuning gets u bang on. At each stage the adjustments to your rest will be smaller and smaller right dowm to 1/32. Once my broadhead and bareshaft are within an inch of my field tips at 30 yards, then I will adjust my poundage up or down until my point of impact is identical for bh and fp. This is why arrow spine is crucial to bh tuning. Each bow will have an ideal poundage for the arrows you shoot, based on the arrow lenght, foc, spine, and tip weight. Have fun.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
does any one find you have the bow paper tuned and then when you walk back tune you need to move the rest a bit to get a good line of arrows at 15 20 and 25 yards and then back to check the paper tune and you have a off tear in the paper but the bow is shooting great groups
Thats possible and it could be attributed to the spine of the arrow. One thing that is effective is playing with your yokes for real fine tuning for left right tears. as it will change the tension on your cables and control the lateral nock travel of the arrow