Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Lip Gripper / Pike

I was reading some info on how well the lip grippers work on Pike so in attempt to stop further blood shed ( mine ) I was was wondering if anyone uses these? I am not wanting them to pick Pike up and hold them in the air with them because I think that's stupid. I was thinking of using them when you have them beside the boat to half open there mouth and remove my hook.

Dodger.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 AM

I use one ice fishing to ice big gators instead of reaching for the gill plate. Less chance of hurting them and me. Also gives you better control of the fish.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 AM

I use one year round for pike, only tip I have is make sure that fish is played out before you use it. Any thrashing it does will run the risk of breaking teeth especially in younger fish.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM

Default Occasionally

I ahve one as well but don't use it a lot. When i do it works fine. Mine has a built in liar spring scale as well so while it is hanging in the lips I can get a quick read on the weight all at once instead of doing the unhooking and then digging out the digital scale and doing a weigh in. Most of the time we are not worried about how exact the weight is anyway so a range is good for the most part. I still prefer the digital scale but when hooked up in the other it is faster and quicker for release.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 AM

had one a couple years ago, one pike I caught thrashed around when I used it and tore it apart. no more for me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 AM

Smile Barracuda

We used one 2 weeks ago in the flats and it worked fine. I think if the fish were very large I'd just cut it off. That is what I did with the shark.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Fantastic tool for controlling fish provided you use your other hand to support the fish. I am not a fan of hanging larger fish by their jaw. Tool is great for hardwater as well. Spend the money and get a good one like the boga.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
I use one ice fishing to ice big gators instead of reaching for the gill plate. Less chance of hurting them and me. Also gives you better control of the fish.
There a higher chance of hurting them with a lip gripper actually, if you grab them in the proper spot then you don't have any worries.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
had one a couple years ago, one pike I caught thrashed around when I used it and tore it apart. no more for me

This was my biggest concern.
Dodger.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
I use one year round for pike, only tip I have is make sure that fish is played out before you use it. Any thrashing it does will run the risk of breaking teeth especially in younger fish.

As Wayne mentioned the thrashing ripped up his Pike. The idea of making sure there played out was the same thought I was thinking would work. My concern would be the hammer handles as they seem to be squirrelly forever.

Dodger.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Fantastic tool for controlling fish provided you use your other hand to support the fish. I am not a fan of hanging larger fish by their jaw. Tool is great for hardwater as well. Spend the money and get a good one like the boga.
I have seen lots of positive info regarding the Boga.

Dodger.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM

actually no pike were harmed in the making of this video, it destroyed the lip gripper. 30 bucks down the toilet. wasnt even a big pike maybe 6 or 7 pounds.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
actually no pike were harmed in the making of this video, it destroyed the lip gripper. 30 bucks down the toilet. wasnt even a big pike maybe 6 or 7 pounds.
Those werent the Boga Grips then not for 30 bucks . Unless theyve come down greatly in price .

http://www.basspro.com/Boga-Grip-Fis...ct/20679/72109

Id love a pair , but Im gonna use a Cradle , that way a guy can attach it to his scale and fish doesnt have to be man handled .
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM

any more than 30 Id rather let them chew on my hand and spend the money on beers!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
any more than 30 Id rather let them chew on my hand and spend the money on beers!!!
I approve of this message!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Use a cradle, jaw spreaders and pliars. Those lip gripper rigs should be outlawed. Wanna kill some fish, thats how you do it.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Use a cradle, jaw spreaders and pliars. Those lip gripper rigs should be outlawed. Wanna kill some fish, thats how you do it.
Like any tool they are not for every situation. Yes they can be over used and lack control over the fish in some situations. Larger fish should not be hung from the jaw as these tools can promote (although with the mixed attitudes on cnr on trophys does this really matter..................)
In the right role though these tools can be part of an effective fish handling routine.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 AM

For example ice fishing pike

Bring pike up to hole, slip boga on jaw keeping fish below water line. The hole itself contains the fish. Unhook while in hole, slide fish out craddling body with one hand while boga in jaw. Pic, then release. Very slick, good control and fish is out of water for minimal time.

In open water I use it less for landing fish and more for holding for a picture, especially great for kids. Hand under belly and one on boga

A time and place tool