Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Looking for moose jerky recipes

Looking to do up a bunch of my moose into jerky but looking for recipes. I prefer the cut jerky to ground. Any links to recipes, PMs, or past threads would be appreciated. Looking to do about 30-60lbs worth of it. I have access to a smoker and dehydrator so either one works for me.

I can’t do the prepackaged stuff so looking for actual recipes. Salt is not the issue, just don’t like the prepackaged stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 AM

Default Jerky

Just look on thr internet there are hundreds to choose froor do like I do just make it any way you want. They’ve important is having thr right amount of cure if Your temp. Is below 150f I am sure you are aware of that. Piker
Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 AM

We really like this one.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/86...hot-and-spicy/

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Suspended User

The simple old way is best. One to one of brown sugar and salt. From there add what you like, hot sauce or soya sauce, are my two.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM

"Belmont" Peppered Beef Jerky mix from Halford Hides. One package is good for 25 pounds of meat. I season each slice individually on both sides then throw them all into a big dish and add a few cups of red wine. Mix it up really good and marinate over night. Smoke with alder chips. Its pre-packaged but can't be beat.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Anyone else find moose jerky to be oddly tough? I can do deer or elk with the high mountain stuff and it always turns out great. With moose I find it shrinks twice as much as the other meats and always ends up tough. If I cook any cut off that same moose it turns out great but the jerky sucks. I don't know if it is just a difference in how much water is retained in the muscle of the moose or what.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Anyone else find moose jerky to be oddly tough? I can do deer or elk with the high mountain stuff and it always turns out great. With moose I find it shrinks twice as much as the other meats and always ends up tough. If I cook any cut off that same moose it turns out great but the jerky sucks. I don't know if it is just a difference in how much water is retained in the muscle of the moose or what.
Depends on how old the beast was, if it was hung and aged, how it was treated after does a lot. Plus what was it living like before death, hay fields or swamp. I've had many tasty moose, and an equal number that needed to be pressure cooked.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Hi Mountain jerky seasoning garlic and ground peppercorn

Pin
Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Pikergolf: thanks! That one looks good

Mr Dave: how much soya to sugar/salt? 1:1, enough to get it wet, etc?

My moose was pretty old, and has been in the freezer for a while. Texture isn’t a huge issue for me so not to co vented about the toughness as long as it’s edible. Also has anyone used beer as a marinade for jerky? Any thoughts or recommendations on that?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Depends on how old the beast was, if it was hung and aged, how it was treated after does a lot. Plus what was it living like before death, hay fields or swamp. I've had many tasty moose, and an equal number that needed to be pressure cooked.
I am talking young bulls well aged, shot on farmland. Every cut on them as a steak or roast was tender as hell but I have yet to have tender jerky off any moose I have ever tried it with. I can take a tougher deer roast and the jerky is tender, take a tender moose roast and the jerky is tough and shrinks like hell. Something different with the muscle tissue on those bullwinkles. I honestly have gotten to the point where I refuse to make moose jerky. Why wreck the best meat on 4 hooves.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldenhwk View Post

My moose was pretty old, and has been in the freezer for a while. Texture isn’t a huge issue for me so not to co vented about the toughness as long as it’s edible. Also has anyone used beer as a marinade for jerky? Any thoughts or recommendations on that?
beer as a jerky marinade sounds pretty awful. lol.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 AM

Default Choices

Best jerky I ever had was from Sandy Lane meat and Deli, not even what you would call expensive to have made......FS
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldenhwk View Post

I don't add a lot of soya. If its a large batch I might use a 1/4 cup. It gives the meat a teriyaki taste. I not a fan of beer so I don't add it.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
I am talking young bulls well aged, shot on farmland. Every cut on them as a steak or roast was tender as hell but I have yet to have tender jerky off any moose I have ever tried it with. I can take a tougher deer roast and the jerky is tender, take a tender moose roast and the jerky is tough and shrinks like hell. Something different with the muscle tissue on those bullwinkles. I honestly have gotten to the point where I refuse to make moose jerky. Why wreck the best meat on 4 hooves.
Jerky takes all the moisture out. I don't make jerky out of the good cuts, why would you. The key to tender jerky is slicing the meat on a severe angle to the grain of the meat.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You are not wrong