Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 10:13 AM

Default Anyone here with garage doors business/experience

The garage door cable broke down so I ordered a couple from Amazon and watched few youtube videos. Seems to go pretty simple process but it wasn't.....

At the moment, door is down.
The 2 cables that goes on rollers are little loose.
When I push the open button, the door tries to open but won't go up.

I don't know if the springs has tension/torque in them
I didn't not touch the spring at all.

Any advice will be useful. Thanks
Old 03-29-2024, 10:17 AM

When the cable broke your spring unravelled. You need to tension the spring so that it naturally holds the door half open. Most people on here will tell you its too dangerous to do on your own. I have done plenty and would never be scared of it. But I am mechanically inclined and understand what is happening. I am sure youtube has videos; you decide. You need to respect that spring though.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:42 AM

GET HELP

those springs can kill

back in grade 8 worked for the local building contractor and we took down some garage doors to recycle in a renovation in the summer

when moving the first spring once detached from the broken door it flipped or sprung on me and grazed my shoulder
scared the frickin crap out of me

SOOOOO told the boss and he said don’t be a sissy
well that som-in-a-bitch ( like sheriff Buford)
SPRUNG ON HIM AND MISSED HIS HEAD AND NECK BY A INCH OR TWO

quite religious but he swore a blue streak and gave me attitude that I should have told him about it

funny now but one of us could have been in very serious trouble

get the guys who know what they are doing or at least have workers comp

just sayin
Old 03-29-2024, 10:59 AM

I had a spring break. I paid $280 to have a new one put in. Not worth the risk for me.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:18 AM

Default Where

Might help to know where you are.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Might help to know where you are.
Good point, I am South Edmonton. Millwoods to be exact.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
I had a spring break. I paid $280 to have a new one put in. Not worth the risk for me.
X2 Ditto Here. Have spent more money on foolish things But wasnt going
to mess with that.
That was in Calgary but phone around up there. Lots of different prices quoted
for me at that time.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:53 AM

Those springs are just not worth the risk for a DYI project. One spring to assist the door while opening so it has to be tensioned sufficiently to manage the weight of the door from a dead lift. The matching spring is counter wound to lower the door to prevent it from rocketing down. Gravity is not a friend of overhead doors. I have had good results from Creative Door Services - at one time was a dealer - Service guys are quick and trucks well supplied. 780-851-1719
Old 03-29-2024, 11:55 AM

Did you change cables with door down
Old 03-29-2024, 12:02 PM

I have loosened and tightened a number of springs, 2 pieces of rebar and a vise grip and keep your face and body out of the way. Those smaller doors are pretty easy to do. Like others said just be careful but definitely able to do it by yourself. You can also try Perfection overhead door or Cross Country doors.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 03-29-2024, 12:05 PM

Don’t fool around. Garage door springs don’t hand out participation ribbons when the sht hits the fan.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:48 PM

Give Doug a call, 780-893-8060. Used him a few times, my friends did too. Very reasonable and nice guy to deal with.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don’t fool around. Garage door springs don’t hand out participation ribbons when the sht hits the fan.
A good friend was maimed by one. Almost lost a eye. Pay someone and keep their card taped to the junk drawer if they are any good.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:11 PM

After reading the OP's post, the only reasonable recommendation, would be to hire a professional. If you don't understand how the mechanism works, the odds of fixing it properly, are about as good as requiring medical treatment.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:12 PM

My BIL was thrown from a ladder and had the door crash down. After repairing a few myself, I consider that he was lucky. Cable lengths, spring tension all needs to be in balance. Best to call a pro rather than learn the hard way. Cable rust out at the bottom of the door? A squirt of WD40 every few months will chase out moisture.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:28 PM

Default Google "Dallas Does Doors"

Nice fellow.

Helped me out quickly and effectively at a reasonable price.

Money well spent.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
For $280 for nine and a half minutes work I will do all of AO's springs.

It will take longer to unload and load my ladder.

EDIT: Sorry, he replaced your spring for $280 not just tensioned it. I will still tension the springs for half that.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Minnow View Post
Those springs are just not worth the risk for a DYI project. One spring to assist the door while opening so it has to be tensioned sufficiently to manage the weight of the door from a dead lift. The matching spring is counter wound to lower the door to prevent it from rocketing down. Gravity is not a friend of overhead doors. I have had good results from Creative Door Services - at one time was a dealer - Service guys are quick and trucks well supplied. 780-851-1719
No, that is wrong. If one is pushing up, and another down, there is no advantage. They are wound opposite ways as they face different directions on the same axel. They both assist in lifting the door. They basically hold the weight of the door so a small motor can move a heavy door effortlessly.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
No, that is wrong. If one is pushing up, and another down, there is no advantage. They are wound opposite ways as they face different directions on the same axel. They both assist in lifting the door. They basically hold the weight of the door so a small motor can move a heavy door effortlessly.
Bingo, it’s not that hard of a job. There is usually a line painted on the spring. Depending on the size on door there is either one spring or two springs and about 8 to 10 wraps on the spring and then lock the set screws. When your ready to tighten the set screws just make sure the one piece of rebar that is in hole on the end of the spring adjuster is resting against the wall and then tighten the set screws then use the other piece of rebar that you were using to tighten the spring put it in another free hole and pull down on it to get the piece of rebar that is against the wall out of its hole on the adjuster on the end of the spring.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:30 PM

Don’t think a broke cable will unwind a spring if both cables brake it will,cables also should not be loose if done right

Last edited by tjm; 03-29-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Don’t think a broke cable will unwind a spring if both cables brake it will,cables also should not be loose if done right
Your right, all that Ninjababy has to do is look at the spring and see if the line that is painted on the spring in straight across the spring or if the line is wound on the spring. With him ordering 2 cables I’m thinking he wants to change both of them, so he’ll have to unload the spring or springs if there are two springs, change the cables and then load the spring or springs back up.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After reading the OP's post, the only reasonable recommendation, would be to hire a professional. If you don't understand how the mechanism works, the odds of fixing it properly, are about as good as requiring medical treatment.
X2, not a job for someone who doesn't have a thorough understanding of what it's all about.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
You are right. I read he ordered cables and in my mind both had broke. Regardless he will need to pull tension to swap a cable. He shouldn’t have to loosen the set screws, but will have to pull off tension and attach the cable.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:12 PM

Yep just back wind one spring leave winding bar in and change cables