Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM

we will take care of the sanitizer and grab a big pack of TP, wifes hitting costco this weekend . going to see if I can find some decent size minnows Sunday as well, and have a whole lotta smaller ones I will bring. cant find decent smelts in this neighborhood

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Huge thank you to "ogre" for supporting the event with 250.00. From the kids and me...thank you so very much. Your generousity will not be forgotten, words are just not enough

as a note

All cash collected will be used for this event to make it the most safe enjoyable day possible for the kids. In the event we have money left over, the excess money will go to either the Childrens Hospital in Calgary or the Make a Wish Foundation Ice Derby at Wabumum Lake. When the time comes the cash donators will decide.

Its my hope that this event grows for next year and i will set up proper banking and partner with a non profit society to add professionalism.
For this year i will collect and keep a full ledger of monies with reciepts and that info will be posted for all to see after the event.

Thank you everyone
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
we will take care of the sanitizer and grab a big pack of TP, wifes hitting costco this weekend . going to see if I can find some decent size minnows Sunday as well, and have a whole lotta smaller ones I will bring. cant find decent smelts in this neighborhood

Thank You WC....the power of people that group together is a wonderful thing.
Please thank the wife also.......for helping with all this. And send her my sympathy for being with YOU...lol

Thanks wayne....i look forward to fishing with you
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Thank You WC....the power of people that group together is a wonderful thing.
Please thank the wife also.......for helping with all this. And send her my sympathy for being with YOU...lol

Thanks wayne....i look forward to fishing with you
she gets sympathy from most people who meet us I must have done something right sometime, with my memory I just cant remember what it was I am really looking forward to starting a whole new generation of fishing addicts!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Jims Jigs has stepped up big time and donated the jigs for the event.

thank you jim's jigs
Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 PM

This event is gaining momentum daily, thank you to our sponsors and everyone who has offered their help! A big thank you to our event coordinator, Chubbdarter for taking the lead and putting this event together for the kids.

As a reminder for those who are bringing items for use, not for donation;
If you are bringing your auger, rods, etc.. Please remember to clearly label your items with your identification to alleviate confusion when the event is over to ensure what you brought is returned to you.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks again TFG for taking on some of the work load.

M@M Meats has provided a awesome deal on the hotdogs needed
Thank you M@M.

As the list goes so far

smelts from superstore will be purchased with the generous donations

still needed are
Hotdog buns and condiments....i have a few requests out but no replies as of yet.

If any of you can think of other items we need please post so we can find solutions.

Thanks everyone
Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM

as previously discussed about prizes donated for volunteers, it was decided we will make it draw prizes for a fiver or a tooney. therefore i will obtain a gaming license for the event to keep it legal.

At this time we have a awesome sturgeon trip for 3 with Dago on the SSR in his jetboat

Hopefully the money wont be used because we are in arrears and passed onto a good cause..e.g. make a wish..etc etc.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM

as you know funds are really tight.....mostly because Chubb has created a monster....lol.....seriously it looked small and innocent when i started all this.
heres the question i have

Although i appriciate most volunteers expect nothing in return because thats the nature of the who you are.
I feel a gesture of appreciation is needed. Would a framed group picture of everyone be....okay?
No gift can say how much i appreciate what your all doing, but it can hang as a reminder of my thanks.

All donators and sponsors will recieve that gift also.

Every Donation...big or small is HUGE and i thank you all

comments?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Ya I think a framed thank you picture would be a good thing to give to all the sponsors of the event. The businesses can hang them up in the store showing their support for local events. Customers really do appreciate it when they see a store they shop at helping around the community.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
as you know funds are really tight.....mostly because Chubb has created a monster....lol.....seriously it looked small and innocent when i started all this.
heres the question i have

Although i appriciate most volunteers expect nothing in return because thats the nature of the who you are.
I feel a gesture of appreciation is needed. Would a framed group picture of everyone be....okay?
No gift can say how much i appreciate what your all doing, but it can hang as a reminder of my thanks.

All donators and sponsors will recieve that gift also.

Every Donation...big or small is HUGE and i thank you all

comments?
Like you said expected? No
Appreciated? Yes
I'm fine with nothing knowing I helped a little, but the picture would be nice. I would hang it proudly
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM

I think a group picture will have to be a panoramic shot, with the smiles that will be on the volunteers faces! Make it 5 bucks for the draw, or even 20. Ive fished with Dago in his boat, believe me any amount would be well worth it! Nothing like blasting through shallow water at speed, wind in your face and white knuckled, then anchoring and relaxing waiting for a whiskering. and if you get whiskered and hook up get set for the ride of your life!!!! Sturgeon rule!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I think a group picture will have to be a panoramic shot, with the smiles that will be on the volunteers faces! Make it 5 bucks for the draw, or even 20. Ive fished with Dago in his boat, believe me any amount would be well worth it! Nothing like blasting through shallow water at speed, wind in your face and white knuckled, then anchoring and relaxing waiting for a whiskering. and if you get whiskered and hook up get set for the ride of your life!!!! Sturgeon rule!!!!
WC....i respect your comments now and previous, therefore im obtaining the gaming license.

When all the smoke clears im positve there will be a few donations that are appropriate for volunteer prizes.
Any donations that dont cover each and every child may end up in this pool.

A framed pictue it is, thanks to all for commenting. Onward we go.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Wayne as im unfamiliar with the chunk of smelt on a jig technique i must ask
How many pieces of bait do you get from a average 5 inch smelt?
This will help me determine how many 8 dollar big bags i need to get from the SuperStore
thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 05:51 PM

I usually cut them in 4 pieces for the walleye. depends on how big they are, you usually only need an inch or maybe a bit more. I layer them and salt them as well, keeps them on a bit longer.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I usually cut them in 4 pieces for the walleye. depends on how big they are, you usually only need an inch or maybe a bit more.
Thanks WC
I hate to run out of bait.......the fear of 200 angry eyes staring at me if i announced at 2pm ...." okay funs over im out of bait".....gives me nightmares

do you use them frozen or thawed?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks WC
I hate to run out of bait.......the fear of 200 angry eyes staring at me if i announced at 2pm ...." okay funs over im out of bait".....gives me nightmares
if the eyes will eat sticklebacks I have a few of them hanging around and Im thinking of dropping my minnow traps in a certain place this Sunday, might be able to scare up a few more. I dont think we will run out of bait. Im sure a couple more people could pick up some smelts too, I will if I run into any, scarce pickings for them around here. I usually just keep my baitbag on the ice, so they tend to get soft enough to hook in the tent.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
if the eyes will eat sticklebacks I have a few of them hanging around and Im thinking of dropping my minnow traps in a certain place this Sunday, might be able to scare up a few more. I dont think we will run out of bait. Im sure a couple more people could pick up some smelts too, I will if I run into any, scarce pickings for them around here. I usually just keep my baitbag on the ice, so they tend to get soft enough to hook in the tent.
SuperStore has lots..im just not sure what we need.
I fear if all the kids arent useing the same bait, a issue could arise.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 PM

thanks goes out big time to Ogre for delivering as promised the donation of 250.00 today.....i look forward to fishing with you Ogre
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM

How are you doing with the volunteer cap, are we there yet?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM

One thing we need, is the hot dogs and hot dog buns. I am currently attempting to get sponsorship from a local grocer who is very involved in community events. If anyone is interested in securing these items as well, please PM me so we don't overlap.

Slivers.

-Also- to all you manual auger people... the arms are getting strong... whos in for the manual auger challange?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
One thing we need, is the hot dogs and hot dog buns. I am currently attempting to get sponsorship from a local grocer who is very involved in community events. If anyone is interested in securing these items as well, please PM me so we don't overlap.

Slivers.

-Also- to all you manual auger people... the arms are getting strong... whos in for the manual auger challange?
good stuff slivers. i have been working on other areas but will soon turn to hot dogs and buns. i will give High River businesses a try first. I think anybody who is canvassing for this event get a hold of chubb before he/she starts. he knows exacly whats needed and who is on it. looks like its gonna be a great event for the kids. thanks to everybody thats helping.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
How are you doing with the volunteer cap, are we there yet?
With the outstanding support of likeminded outdoorsmen, we are 4 volunteers away from maximum capacity.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks to everyone helping me the last few days while im under the weather...much appreciated.

some things needed yet but for a first year event things are looking okay....some items , some cash and a few volunteers still needed.

i expect most thing will go in limbo over the holidays and then we will be on a mad dash to the finnish.

1 question for the volunteers to mull over concerning the draw prizes

Should all the donations that CANT provide every child a prize be a draw prize for the volunteers?
i will secure the gaming license

10(20?) bucks a ticket for a chance to pick a prize from the pile....first ticket gets first pick.....eg the first ticket holder can take Dago's Sturgeon Trip, and so on and so on. i expect many other items like tools, rods and reels etc etc

because the event is cash tight the money could maybe go to photos and frames for sponsors and volunteers
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM

We would be happy to put 20 a piece for tickets, but honestly, I and my lady arent in this for prizes, helping another generation discover the joys of fishing is payment enough for me. Hope you are feeling better Chub.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
We would be happy to put 20 a piece for tickets, but honestly, I and my lady arent in this for prizes, helping another generation discover the joys of fishing is payment enough for me. Hope you are feeling better Chub.
Wayne, you hit the nail on the head sir and again have shown us what this board is all about. I agree with you, and would be happy to contribute $20 dollars for the cause.

I am just throwing this out there... With the overwhelming support from the board here, in exchange for a small donation, how about a banner with sponsors names on display at the event?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
x3 - prizes are a bonus, the look on a kids face when they get their first fish is priceless
Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Fully appreciate the comments guys and know your hearts and inttentions are always in the right place. I will be proud to fish with all you volunteers and sponsors.
The fact is we are getting some singular donations...e.g. rod and reel, because there isnt enough for all 100 children we need to utlilize those much appreciated prizes in other ways that benifit the event.
The sponsors of those prizes fully realize also that without volunteers a kids fun day isnt possible. So they are happy to see a token of appreciation go a volunteers way.
All you volunteers are giving time, vehicle wear an tear and fuel.....repayment isnt possible, but a token of thanks looks possible and realistic at this time.
I wish the event wasnt cash tight so that we could just give them away but facts are as you can imagine, lots of little and big items to hold a event for 100 children and 50 adults has unexpected costs. So in fairness i think the 20 buck buy in to win from a pile of prizes that are all worth between 25 and 350 dollars is fair and sensible...its my hope there is a prize for every volunteer by time im done canvassing.

As ive stated before if our cash situation changes and the funds arent needed to buy enlargements and frames for sponsors appreciation gifts, then we can spread our wings and make even more kids smile with a donation to the Make a Wish derby by Rumtun.

With the grace of god ,if im able to organize this next year i will do many things differently and eliminate alot of the problems ive had this year.

I thank you all who have helped with volunteering or sponsoring. YOU ALL MAKE ME PROUD TO BE A FISHERMAN AND I'D BE PROUD TO FISH WITH ANYONE OF YOU ANY DAY. YOU HAVE ALL STEPPED UP BIG TIME AND WILL MAKE A DAY THAT THE KIDS WILL NEVER FORGET.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Hey Chubb,the wife and I are still willing to volunteer if there's room. She is more than happy to come out and volunteer and will make sure that she has the day off. She's a nurse at The Children's Hospital ICU and is happy to fill any medical responsible role that may exist.

You'll be out again to organize this next year;I'm sure of it.

NHO.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Hey Chubb,the wife and I are still willing to volunteer if there's room. She is more than happy to come out and volunteer and will make sure that she has the day off. She's a nurse at The Children's Hospital ICU and is happy to fill any medical responsible role that may exist

NHO.

as of right now i have this list from AO
1-Mudslide
2-Npauls
3-GL2
4-GL2's wife
1114-14-13-5-Wayne Christy
6-Wayne Christy's wife
7-Horsetrader
8-Chesterfield
9-Slivers86
10-Slivers86's nurse
11-Ogre
12-Fish Farmer
13-Daceminnow
14-Daceminnow's wife
15-Dago
16-The Fisherman Guy
17-Mikeo2
18-Big Turk
19-Big Turks friend
20-Jack@7
21-Jack@7's Girlfriend
22-Hogslayer
23-Hogslayer's son
24-Dan Foss
25-AlbertaAngler
26-NHO
27-NHO's wife
28-Chubb
29-Chubbs warden
30-Chubbs daughter

Yes there is another list of people with no forum names.

thanks to you all

Please review the list if there are mistakes please inform me. It is very important that all volunteers are on the list to comply with legalities, anyone not listed will not be allowed to participate.

For anyone wishing to donate a prize, please inform me and make arrangements for it to be sent to me. In order to comply with the gaming permit I must inventory and declare all prizes with a disclosure of its full net worth. Any prizes brought to the event without proper documentation may not be allowed to be presented as a draw prize.

Thanks everyone