Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Default Cutbow

That is nice, thick cutthroat!

Here is a cutbow from the Oldman R. caught this spring for comparison, mostly rainbow characteristics other than the orange slash.

And then this one from the Castle R. caught last year that is more cutthroat.

Regardless, looking at your catch totals, it doesn't look like you guys will have any issues catching a cutty, no need to measure in a cutbow (unless it's a monster of course). Good luck with your search.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks Hacman...since you mentioned it, I'll tell you I got that one from the Castle as well.

I'm ashamed to say I don't really see the differences between those two pics of yours...I obviously have to do a bit of research! If there's any blatant things I should be noticing let me know, otherwise I might have to borrow my brother's million and one species book
Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM

Just looking quick, it seems the biggest difference is that Rainbows tend to have black spots above and below their lateral line, and Cutties are typically only above. Well, the slash is probably the biggest difference, but that's another one.

I'm looking at pics of different guaranteed rainbows I've caught, and I see a mix...the smaller ones don't seem to really have spots on the bottom, but the bigger ones have tons...I don't get it...lol...darn fishing!
Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
That is nice, thick cutthroat!

Here is a cutbow from the Oldman R. caught this spring for comparison, mostly rainbow characteristics other than the orange slash.

And then this one from the Castle R. caught last year that is more cutthroat.

Regardless, looking at your catch totals, it doesn't look like you guys will have any issues catching a cutty, no need to measure in a cutbow (unless it's a monster of course). Good luck with your search.
Thanks! I haven't caught a cutbow yet but I haven't spent the time in the area yet either. That's some great pictures for example, can easily tell which one is half rainbow!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 PM

If you catch something you are sure is a cutbow I guess submit it as what it appears to closest represent. If it looks like a rainbow like Hacmans above but has a tiny slash count it as a rainbow(since some rainbows can even have slash). If it looks like a cutty but you think it might be a cutbow then submit as a cutty, if it shows the characteristics I can't really deny it as an entry.

Better yet just don't catch any cutbows, it makes my life easier lol.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Don't mock your entry Ninja, that's the 2nd biggest one in the derby! ;-)

Nice walleye Mitch...geez, everyone's a genius at catching big walleye. That's one fish I obviously have to learn better...ah who am I kidding, I have to learn them all
Old 06-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Don't mock your entry Ninja, that's the 2nd biggest one in the derby! ;-)

Nice walleye Mitch...geez, everyone's a genius at catching big walleye. That's one fish I obviously have to learn better...ah who am I kidding, I have to learn them all
Thanks man! Find a nice deep back eddie on the north sask and you will catch them!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Question: If I'm trolling around in the boat and let one of my kids hold my rod while trolling for a bit (and I just have one rod in the water) is that cool to count in the derby?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumBarMan View Post
Question: If I'm trolling around in the boat and let one of my kids hold my rod while trolling for a bit (and I just have one rod in the water) is that cool to count in the derby?
No you cant use other peoples fish even if it is your rod. You have to catch the fish in order to count it.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Alright I wasn't sure how that worked for like a 3 year old.. Was thinking if I was trolling for a bit and she wanted to help hold my rod for a couple minutes and we happened to get a bite then it would still count (I would be reeling it in, she's only 3..). Figured she'd be looked at similar to a rod holder which I know would be ok to count. But thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:37 PM

If you are the one fishing, casting retrieving etc then can claim it. If your kid is reeling it in etc then hard to claim it as your fish. Pretty sure you will know if it is your fish or not.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:38 PM

Ok sounds good man
Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Wow, nice weekend for Hacman. Not sure when I'll get out next, but at the rate Hacman's catching species, hopefully it's soon! Nicely done Hac!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 AM

I wish you guys would start working like me...Ricky and Platinum, I see you snook out yesterday and caught lakers....must be nice!

Not that I want Ricky to gain any more inches (he's getting too close) according to my spreadsheet he actually has 191 inches...it's possible I miscalculated or wrecked my spreadsheet while changing formulas and formatting cells, so maybe Ricky you should verify and then let Rav know if there's a change. Rav potentially missed one of your million upgrades (probably your Rainbow update to add .75") or maybe it's my bad...

You guys are lucky, doesn't look like I'll have a chance to derby post for awhile yet, but for sure by the end of July I'm hoping to get another 1-4 species...something tells me Rav will take advantage of the fact, Platinum will continue to sneak out, and Ricky will keep hurtling upgrades at us ;-)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I wish you guys would start working like me...Ricky and Platinum, I see you snook out yesterday and caught lakers....must be nice!

Not that I want Ricky to gain any more inches (he's getting too close) according to my spreadsheet he actually has 191 inches...it's possible I miscalculated or wrecked my spreadsheet while changing formulas and formatting cells, so maybe Ricky you should verify and then let Rav know if there's a change. Rav potentially missed one of your million upgrades (probably your Rainbow update to add .75") or maybe it's my bad...

You guys are lucky, doesn't look like I'll have a chance to derby post for awhile yet, but for sure by the end of July I'm hoping to get another 1-4 species...something tells me Rav will take advantage of the fact, Platinum will continue to sneak out, and Ricky will keep hurtling upgrades at us ;-)
I added it up and he is spot on! But thanks for ring honest buddy! Lol ohhhh yeah cutties next week!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
I added it up and he is spot on! But thanks for ring honest buddy! Lol ohhhh yeah cutties next week!
Remind me to find you a wife to tie you down, a job to keep you close to home, and some extra shackles just in case you still manage to sneak away ;-)
Maybe also 5 kids, 3 dogs, and volunteering 3 times a week...that should do the trick!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Remind me to find you a wife to tie you down, a job to keep you close to home, and some extra shackles just in case you still manage to sneak away ;-)
Maybe also 5 kids, 3 dogs, and volunteering 3 times a week...that should do the trick!
Then do the same for Rav :-)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Ugh no thanks lol
Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM

uploadfromtaptalk1435357895175.jpg Did you guys knows they used to stock kokanee in Phyllis lake I'm gonna catch the monster lol and I just figured out how to upload pics I think!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Uploading pics is easy Ricky .

Step 1: Create photobucket account
Step 2: Upload photo to photobucket
Step 3: Paste photo link in image tags

Way better quality then attaching it via AO.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 PM

I just downloaded tapatalk and now can upload lol
Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Yeah tapatalk so much easier and quicker for anyone with a smart phone. Just take a pic and post it 2 seconds later full size
Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Spent a little over an hour looking for a spot to fish.
My favorite spot was occupied by a bunch of people drinking beer and smoking pot.
Went downstream a quarter mile. So shallow the dog and i walked out to the middle and cast from there. Not even a nibble.
I think i need a fly rod.
I even remembered my paper token today!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 AM

I used tapatalk for my cutty and it shows up small...won't use it again, plus had problems..maybe I'm too old for technology?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 PM

Went out to a really great spot on the rdr today.
Forgot my token, tape, and tarp for the fish to lay on...
I have been painting my own jigs lately, tried some out for the first time.
Second cast of the day. After this one, hooked 3 more, none made it to shore though.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Nice one Hydro!

Nice mooneye Dago...I should have caught 5 Mooneye by now, but for some reason ever since a beaver broke my custom pickerel rig and I put a new one on, I'm having troubles catching fish in the river. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM

I've been at a bit of a standstill...my remaining species for the derby are a bit of a pain to get! I also hate giving up my precious trout time for a darn perch or whitefish or sauger...but what can you do...lol.

I see my brother is right behind you Rav, but don't worry, he's going to Mexico, so no need for immediate action ;-)

Ricky's bound to get back to work so should hopefully stop seeing his daily posts soon..haha
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM

I think we should suspend the derby while there is a warm water advisory out. I will not be entering any more while the advisory is in place.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
I think we should suspend the derby while there is a warm water advisory out. I will not be entering any more while the advisory is in place.
I agree with Dago; in fact, in these perilous times of warm water advisories and such low water, I feel it would be our duty to suspend it for the remaining year. With that in mind Rav, could you please add up the totals and see who won? ;-)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:21 PM

It is just an advisory, the derby will proceed as there are still many bodies of water that are fine to fish be it lakes and ponds or streams to the north or west.

If you are worried about this then I recommend following SRD's advice and carry a thermometer and be very careful with fish if the water temp is over 22 degrees. Choose deeper colder bodies of water to fish now, there is still lots of time later in the year to fish other areas once they have cooled down a bit.