Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Headed out to Sunbreaker Cove this morning, hell-bent on Redemption!

Met up w/skwatty at first light and we headed out to a spot I fish often in the boat. Still a very large heave at the Sunbreaker launch so we drove over to Palm Bay and departed from there (driving on).
We noticed another very large and lengthy heave between Palm Bay and Sunbreaker. Navigated that and hit the "spot".

We drilled upwards of 20 holes with depths varying from 3-25 FOW. Saw a few whites early, I missed two and skwatty managed to hook one but lost it below the ice.

After 11am I noticed several walleye hunting and the jawjackers started firing. Right around 1pm I lucked into a delicious surprise on the jawjacker! This continued right up until sundown after which we departed Redemption in hand!

Beatiful day! Great Company! And my faith in Sylvan restored!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Drove down to Sylvan today from Edmonton. Plan was to be on the ice at first light but hit a whitetail just south of the Usona exit. When it come out from under the 3/4ton the guy following me caught it with his Audi. Minor damage to my pickup more to the Audi.
Got on the ice out in front of the marina about 10. Saw a few whites buddy caught a couple Walleye then dead till about 2 when the little perch moved in. Caught several, all went back in then a 75cm pike flew through and slammed my wire worm. Got it through the ice removed the worm and back down the hole.

330 the perch were back and around 415 the whites were around suspended about 4ft below the ice. They weren’t interested in anything we offered. At 5 we packed up and headed home.

Good day on the ice.

BW
Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Nice work Bwacky! Great looking pics as usual.

Seems there are some nasty obstacles at Sylvan this year. Most other lakes are still flat with little to no heaves.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Met up w/skwatty at first light and we headed out to a spot I fish often in the boat. Still a very large heave at the Sunbreaker launch so we drove over to Palm Bay and departed from there (driving on).
We noticed another very large and lengthy heave between Palm Bay and Sunbreaker. Navigated that and hit the "spot".

We drilled upwards of 20 holes with depths varying from 3-25 FOW. Saw a few whites early, I missed two and skwatty managed to hook one but lost it below the ice.

After 11am I noticed several walleye hunting and the jawjackers started firing. Right around 1pm I lucked into a delicious surprise on the jawjacker! This continued right up until sundown after which we departed Redemption in hand!

Cheers,

Scott.

Pleased to read fishin has improved, Tks for the update, great pic's, too.

D.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post

Cheers,

Scott.
What camera did you use for these pictures? Is it a phone camera or actual camera?
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM

I use my Google Pixel 3 XL

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM

love the update!!! ill be out sat!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM

The wife and I were out on Sylvan Lake a couple Saturdays ago to try for whitefish. We saw 6 but only one bite, the wife managed to land her first whitefish so she was happy. This was my first time back to fish Sylvan Lake since my Infamous 1997 "Scales of Justice" Ice fishing contest win! Or should I say loss... LOL
Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Has it been that slow? That there are no updates or is it just the cold that no one is out fishing? My excuse is it is too dam cold and im working. Im off wednesday for 5 days then going to try to slay some whites around sylvan. First try sunbreaker then 23 then norglenwold. Might even stay in my tent friday to sunday if the weather cooperates.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:33 PM

i was about to post. got to the lake yesterday...set up....late..445 pm...at around 515....i got one!!!! a nice white!!!
was using zip candy cane yellow orange with green glow bead...pink maggot. stayed in my shack last nite. i was warm ...got up...tru k barely started. sleeping in a motel at sylvan and gunna get up early and try to get a few more whites.
i.will let everyone know how i did!!!! smoked white fish here i come!!!

happy
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
i was about to post. got to the lake yesterday...set up....late..445 pm...at around 515....i got one!!!! a nice white!!!

was using zip candy cane yellow orange with green glow bead...pink maggot. stayed in my shack last nite. i was warm ...got up...tru k barely started. sleeping in a motel at sylvan and gunna get up early and try to get a few more whites.

happy
Atta boy!!!!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:

happy
Gratz on your first white!!! More to come. Probably see you guys this weekend! Keep in touch.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:

happy
Happy .... as Scott & Scott have said, congrat's you've finally got that Monkey!

I'm still trappin live bait, plan on targeting a different species of Palm Springs Whitefish, these guys are big, fat & will inhale anything .... stay warm fellas, tks for the update, wish you all the success.

Cheers

David

Got beat up a bit it was hiding in my computer bag on the floor!

Second one's just a baby, but stings when it bites!

Custom made Stiff flex graphite Fishin Pole.

SoCal Whitefish good fight poor eats!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Ata boy Dave! Too bad about the scorpions. Keep us posted and stay safe down there. Will update after this weekend and hopefully have good news about fishing.

Scott
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 PM

got started at 745 am...saw a couple whites...missed em....i think i shoulda been set up at 7....next week ill get em

happy
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 AM

ohhh and i got checked by the fish cops!!!! first time in years....this weekend coming up ill slay em....

happy
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Sounds like it is picking up Happy. Hope the weekend is a slayfest.

If you even want to pick some whites up in the afternoon you will have to leave the shack.
I've found really good afternoon success at Sylvan by drilling say 8-12 holes near a drop off and covering some different depths on the holes. I fish one for about 10 min (sometimes 5 min) and move if I don't see something. If I do see something I keep going. If I actually hook and/or lose one I give it a minute and move to the next one. Kind of a 1 fish / 1 hit per hole. Then repeat on the holes that I saw something in. I find usually at least half of the holes show something good or a hookup.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 PM

i aint serching for a drop off....lol...how do i find one? just my sonar or punch holes and put the camer down? do u have a lityle 1 man shack? how can u see down the hole?
maybe drape a dark blanket over me? and grab a portable chair?
if im bored i guess i can venture out....

happy
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure where you are fishing but the drop off at Sylvan is along the North or South shores. Sonar / vex would be good to find it in the winter. I located it in open water to make it easier in the winter.

I have a clam style flipover so I can just flip it up, move, flip it down. Easy peasy and staying warm.

If you sit in a shack from morning until afternoon then you can expect to see whatever might swim by. If that is they way you want to do it, more power to you
Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM

i have a foam mat i can lay down on....but what can i use to cover my head to block out the sun to prevent the glare? maybe a towl....ill figure it out. Im at norgenwold west of the launch...ill just sonar it and when i get to 10 fow...ill punch 10 holes to and away from shore and try it out!!!

weather permiting of course!!!

tnx

happy
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 AM

hey not to derail but how far out is the ice heave from shore at Sunbreaker, I'm wanting to put my camper on the ice, along the shore, for the long weekend.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
hey not to derail but how far out is the ice heave from shore at Sunbreaker, I'm wanting to put my camper on the ice, along the shore, for the long weekend.
It is at the launch as in blocking it and across it. No chance getting on at that entrance. If you get on at another spot you should be fine driving it back over to Sunbreaker.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Thanx for the reply Snapfisher. Sounds like too much trouble, decided to go to Gull and try Birch Bay.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Any recent updates on Whites? Going to be there on Friday .
Old 02-24-2019, 04:49 PM

got to the lake at 4 pm yesterday. missed 1 pike and 2 walleye. but caught 1 walleye!!! tomorrow ill hunt for whites if the weather is decent....lol...lets see how brave i am....

https://imgur.com/a/CLDHk22
Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 PM

got to the lake and set up by 715. didnt see anything....then a pike came in and i got him. at around 11 i decided to take snaps advice and punched about 8 holes....moved around each hole...saw 1 white and it tried to eat my swivel.....LOL.

im only in 5 FOW and i think the whites are in the 10 foot range. will thr white move into the shallows before the year ends??

tnx

happy
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
got to the lake and set up by 715. didnt see anything....then a pike came in and i got him. at around 11 i decided to take snaps advice and punched about 8 holes....moved around each hole...saw 1 white and it tried to eat my swivel.....LOL.

im only in 5 FOW and i think the whites are in the 10 foot range. will thr white move into the shallows before the year ends??

tnx

happy
Make sure you are working the drop off on the 8 holes. Some on the top side, some just on the drop and some off the drop.

I find the most consistent is the 10-12 FOW overall but I fish all the depths when hole hopping.

You'll get em!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 PM

tnx...just to confirm....FOW includes the thickness of the ice....correct? 8 feet of water colum plus 2 feet of ice is 10 FOW....i checked with another AO member and thats what he uses....lol....

ill find that drop off...question.....is the drop off like very noiticable? does it go to like 6 fow to like 10 FOW in like 20 feet from shore?

tnx

happy
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 PM

Yes, I would include thickness.

There are places where it goes from 3 feet to 8 in a few steps. Or 7 to 25 in a few more. RR23 has a dramatic drop. Sunbreaker is good. Pretty much all along most of the North and South shores there is a drop off on Sylvan. Just use Google maps satellite view. It shows it all well.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 PM

im at norgenwald....ill just walk out till i find around 10 FOW....i checked satalite view and depth map.....lol....

i always just see a slow dip getting deeper.....ill scout a bit with the camera and sonar.....and drill holes between 8 to 12 fow and about 10 holes. Another AO member said instead of laying on the ice looking down the hole just use my fishfinder . question is will i be able to feel a white fish bite? is it just a real light take?
ive been out 40 times over 5 years and have caught 3 whites....lol....i suck

im gunna try the above method next.....it was just too dam cold laying on the ice last weekend......

tnx

happy