Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Jimboy you can keep posting anytime you want, I am not sure there is anyone on this forum that can top how ridiculous your posts are. Chub even makes a valiant attempt, but the way you can just pull out absurdity is a talent I envy! It is sad when you get so much enjoyment from an internet forum, but when I see you have commented on a thread, I just cant help myself. They say ignorance is bliss - you must be on cloud 9, hey? Fantastic work, keep it up!
Not ridiculous at all , if you cant understand my post , your to young , and as far as ignorance is concerned , l been around for 70 years , l know whats going on , we need regs , but not ones that cater to another group for profit.

l,m getting stoned here for eating fish , why dont you stone the bear hunters for killing a bear just to get a bear rug .
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Not ridiculous at all , if you cant understand my post , your to young , and as far as ignorance is concerned , l been around for 70 years , l know whats going on , we need regs , but not ones that cater to another group for profit.

l,m getting stoned here for eating fish , why dont you stone the bear hunters for killing a bear just to get a bear rug .
because we do that on the hunting thread not here
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
People like me aye , listen pal , l,ve been fishing long before you were in diapers , my dad and l were 2 of the first and very few who fly fished the bow back in the early fiftys , lic was $2 l believe back then , we slept over in Dads station wagon many times along the bow , at that time we could camp anyplace where we could drive to the river road or no road.
The flys we used back then were royal coachman , black knat , and a mosquito pattern, never did we get skunked , and we always ate them , and they were delicious , and when a fish was playing around with a fly and not taking it , my Dad had the answer to that , he,d go to the bank and catch a grasshopper and hook in onto the fly , usually the first cast back into the pool wham ! !! , he was on , and a good chance he,d stay on because the hook had a barb , life on the bow was good back then.
l can remember stopping off at a fellows place in east calgary to buy some live minnows , we put them in a large glass pickle jar , no plastic them days either , and head down the bow , even with a live minnow it was a challenge to catch one , but in the right pool they worked well .
There was never any catch and release nuts back then , everyone was out to catch a fish supper , and if you had a big one on and it got off , that was a bad day , and there were some big ones in the lower bow back then , my largest was 12 lbs , caught where the highwood meets the bow , we drove right down to the rivers edge from the north side at that time , now some nester owns all the land and has fenced it up , the road is barely visable now do to erosion , sad , that was a nice spot.
As more and more people moved into Calgary we began to see them on the banks of the bow , fancy gear and all , years later outfitters moved in , lobbied the govt for changes , catch and release , then came the barbless thing , it wasnt about conservation it was about preserving the fishery for the wealthy , like outfiitters and their American clients .
Was lots of fish back then , still is , but not from catch and release , lots of them die after the fact , bow is a self renewable resource , next time out just look at the thousands of minnows in the pools .
Not sure if the bow is stocked now , havent fished it for years , to many idiots on it now , can only keep 1 small one , barblees hooks , and with flyfishing , that means fish off on first jump even with a tight line , so whats the point , you fish kissers can have it now ,
We have fish hatcherys today to replenish our waters , so l dont see why your all so worried about our future fisheries , there will always be fish even if we keep them for supper , at least 4 anyway , anything less then that is a waste of gas to get out to catch them.
lf l want to get off with a tug on my line , l,ll tie my dog to it , and release him after l play him in , same thing , any fish l catch goes into the pan because l love fish , lots of people hate fish , thats why they let them go.
l,m old school , and proud to be one , life was easy back then , less rules , less bull crap , just plain ole pole fishin with a worm or whatever , now every place l go , if l throw a line in the water l,m poachin somewhere in the regs , getting as bad as hunting , sold half my guns now because of the crap that goes along with hunting today , its not fun anymore.
once again Before or after the trout were stocked?
what did you catch?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
MMmmmm Gulp juice.....shutup Chubb.
I realize I'm a little late to the party but BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
no its...."WHAT IS LOVE! Chubb don't hurt me....don't hurt me no more...."

LC
I miss all the fun while I'm at work!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
People like me aye , listen pal , l,ve been fishing long before you were in diapers , my dad and l were 2 of the first and very few who fly fished the bow back in the early fiftys , lic was $2 l believe back then , we slept over in Dads station wagon many times along the bow , at that time we could camp anyplace where we could drive to the river road or no road.
The flys we used back then were royal coachman , black knat , and a mosquito pattern, never did we get skunked , and we always ate them , and they were delicious , and when a fish was playing around with a fly and not taking it , my Dad had the answer to that , he,d go to the bank and catch a grasshopper and hook in onto the fly , usually the first cast back into the pool wham ! !! , he was on , and a good chance he,d stay on because the hook had a barb , life on the bow was good back then.
l can remember stopping off at a fellows place in east calgary to buy some live minnows , we put them in a large glass pickle jar , no plastic them days either , and head down the bow , even with a live minnow it was a challenge to catch one , but in the right pool they worked well .
There was never any catch and release nuts back then , everyone was out to catch a fish supper , and if you had a big one on and it got off , that was a bad day , and there were some big ones in the lower bow back then , my largest was 12 lbs , caught where the highwood meets the bow , we drove right down to the rivers edge from the north side at that time , now some nester owns all the land and has fenced it up , the road is barely visable now do to erosion , sad , that was a nice spot.
As more and more people moved into Calgary we began to see them on the banks of the bow , fancy gear and all , years later outfitters moved in , lobbied the govt for changes , catch and release , then came the barbless thing , it wasnt about conservation it was about preserving the fishery for the wealthy , like outfiitters and their American clients .
Was lots of fish back then , still is , but not from catch and release , lots of them die after the fact , bow is a self renewable resource , next time out just look at the thousands of minnows in the pools .
Not sure if the bow is stocked now , havent fished it for years , to many idiots on it now , can only keep 1 small one , barblees hooks , and with flyfishing , that means fish off on first jump even with a tight line , so whats the point , you fish kissers can have it now ,
We have fish hatcherys today to replenish our waters , so l dont see why your all so worried about our future fisheries , there will always be fish even if we keep them for supper , at least 4 anyway , anything less then that is a waste of gas to get out to catch them.
lf l want to get off with a tug on my line , l,ll tie my dog to it , and release him after l play him in , same thing , any fish l catch goes into the pan because l love fish , lots of people hate fish , thats why they let them go.
l,m old school , and proud to be one , life was easy back then , less rules , less bull crap , just plain ole pole fishin with a worm or whatever , now every place l go , if l throw a line in the water l,m poachin somewhere in the regs , getting as bad as hunting , sold half my guns now because of the crap that goes along with hunting today , its not fun anymore.
Howdy Jimboy.

I believe everyone gets where you are coming from. You had some fabulous fishing back in the good old days when fishermen were few and far between and there was lots of fish to go around and then around again. Back then rules were lax and limits were high and old timers could fill their freezers and eat regulars meals of tasty fish.

We all have those stories about when we were young and the new kids today will tell the same story of sorts in 50 years.

Trouble with stories is the message you are reading is not what most of us are hearing.

We hear...
  1. caught and killed most fish we hooked.
  2. There are not as many fish around place now and now we can get skunked
  3. Transferred sucker minnows all over the Province.
  4. We hated people fishing our spots
  5. We hated the influx of fishermen consuming our fish
  6. We hated having regulations implemented to protect fish stocks in general
  7. We want to just stock and restock rather than have any naturally reproducing viable fisheries.
  8. We loved it when it was cheap back in the 50's...before inflation and time made things cost more.
  9. When we flyfished...it was cool...when others started they were lame.
  10. I can't catch fish on barbless spinners in the river any more.
  11. The petroleum industry has destroyed the glass jar business.
  12. Guys that like to fish just for the relaxation and enjoyment are stupid.
  13. If you ain't killing...you ain't fishing.
  14. People that own land along the river suck cause they stopped us from trespassing with gates and fences.
  15. I don't believe in conservation...it is just a conspiracy of the wealthy elite to restrict my right to kill everything.
  16. All Bow River fishermen are idiots.
  17. If I can't kill a large supper...I ain't fishing.
  18. There was tons of fish in the olden days...lots now...more people fishing...conservation is stupid...don't know if the Bow is stocked...don't fish it anymore...but I can still tell you what is up with that!

Jimboy.

Problem with getting old...besides getting old is trying not to become self absorbed and egocentric. Fishing is not about one person. Fishing is about all sportsmen in Alberta. If the regulations from the 1950's...liberal limits (what was it 10 or 20 trout a day), $2 licence, no anti poaching regulations etc... Can you really look someone in the eye on this forum...take any 12 year old new to fishing and tell him...guarantee ya sonny...the fishing would of been just as good today as it was in the 50's...without all the regulations. The 10,000 X increase in anglers...the 10,000% increase in cost of living over that time...the continued illegal transport of fish...nothing would have negatively impacted the fishery.

Sigh....still Jimboy...all of us that were not fishing in the 50's are envious...not because of the rules we have today...but because you got to experience fishing of such a fine quality before your generation ruined it for the rest of us.

If your generation protected our resource better (can't really fault you because most of the problem was a combination of ignorance, politics and selfish greed) wow...what a fishery we would have today...and the impacts are now hindsight...

IMHO
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Well you gotta give him some credit, at least he doesn't fish anymore - lot's of guys with his attitude still fish with both fingers in the air, and their freezers are close to as full as they were 50 years ago still...

I like to refer to people like this as "meateaters" and not "sportsman". The reason being, they really only fish TO get some food, not for the sport of actually fishing. This attitude is what fuels so much poaching as well. I keep fish all the time because I like to eat fish, but I don't need to keep fish to consider my day of fishing successful. I could be wrong, but this shift in attitude is almost needed to be able to abide by the angling laws AND still have a good time. We no longer need to be out killing our own food for survival - that is what a grocery store is for...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well you gotta give him some credit, at least he doesn't fish anymore - lot's of guys with his attitude still fish with both fingers in the air, and their freezers are close to as full as they were 50 years ago still...

I like to refer to people like this as "meateaters" and not "sportsman". The reason being, they really only fish TO get some food, not for the sport of actually fishing. This attitude is what fuels so much poaching as well. I keep fish all the time because I like to eat fish, but I don't need to keep fish to consider my day of fishing successful. I could be wrong, but this shift in attitude is almost needed to be able to abide by the angling laws AND still have a good time. We no longer need to be out killing our own food for survival - that is what a grocery store is for...
X2

there are not enough fish in the province to sustain this attitude for a day let along a 365 day fishing season...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
We no longer need to be out killing our own food for survival - that is what a grocery store is for...
I was nodding until you threw out that clunker. Your PETA membership card is in the mail.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM

You guys have too much time. Just go fishing.....
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I was nodding until you threw out that clunker. Your PETA membership card is in the mail.
Am I missing something here? I like to call hunting and fishing a sport, the meat is just a bonus. Where are you from that hunting and fishing is about survival and how do you have internet access in such a remote location?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 AM

I absolutely disagree with the statement that we don't need to kill our own food for survival. Some people do.
Growing up hunting and fishing put food on our table at home. My parents couldn't afford to be buying meat all of the time.
Beef were for selling.
Fish and wild game were for eating.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Hey I am all about keeping an open mind and would be happy to learn something new today, as I have not met anyone so far that depends on wild game and fish for survival in 2011. Is hunting and fishing for survival even cost effective over buying food at the grocery store anymore? For the price of walleye at the store, by the time I have spent money in gas, tackle, and time - it would have been a lot cheaper for me to have just gone and bought it from the store, but I fish for the sport of it so I am obviously missing something here...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
You guys have too much time. Just go fishing.....
He's from Sask... all he has is time...
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

It is not feasable for me personally with my location and job and I'm lucky enough that I don't have to rely on my poor skills to feed myself, but I bet for some people it is a reality.
Even if an person doesn't bag enough game or fish to feed themselves and their family for an entire year what they do get can still offset the cost of buying it in a store and for some that may be the difference between survival or not.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunger View Post
It is not feasable for me personally with my location and job and I'm lucky enough that I don't have to rely on my poor skills to feed myself, but I bet for some people it is a reality.
Even if an person doesn't bag enough game or fish to feed themselves and their family for an entire year what they do get can still offset the cost of buying it in a store and for some that may be the difference between survival or not.
I can see someone shooting some deer or an elk or moose for their red meat to last a year...but do you really think given the number of fishermen in Alberta and limited water compared to BC that we could really switch and allow a total meat fishery harvest in Alberta.

Understanding there are two concepts you are debating.

One is where I can go and kill enough fish daily to feed my family.

One is where I can go out and catch fish every day and occasionally kill a fish or two to eat.

Which one do you think is sustainable in Alberta? To put it in perspective...have you heard the screaming when the gill netters fish a lake in Alberta. The recreational anglers see a noticeable drop in catch rates. Those netting fish hardly feed a small portion of Albertan. To feed them all...how many need to be harvested. You can not use the argument that only you or someone elses wants to meat harvest. If one person does...all should be allowed. Hense...rules, regulations and limits.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Am I missing something here? I like to call hunting and fishing a sport, the meat is just a bonus. Where are you from that hunting and fishing is about survival and how do you have internet access in such a remote location?
I eat three times a day for survival. You said I don't need to eat wild game to do that, and should use a grocery store. I'd say you are indeed missing something, though perhaps you were just over-stating your case a bit. I support people eating wild game exclusively if they wish, as long as they take it legally.

Last edited by Okotokian; 06-30-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I eat three times a day for survival. You said I don't need to eat wild game to do that, and should use a grocery store. I'd say you are indeed missing something. I support people eating wild game exclusively if they wish, as long as they take it legally.
When it comes to big game...you can join the draw/lottery to see if you can get a moose or elk or enough deer to last a year. Then pay your money for the licence...then also pay for gas, accomodation, ammo, gear etc. A big city slicker...has more expenses then a farmer or ruralite.

So then you go out and may or may not shoot enough to eat. I then wonder...are those hunting and fishing for survival dieing every year of starvation...if they are unsuccessful?

As per my email above... There is not enough fish to support the harvest for survival in Alberta. If you went the stocking route...then the licence costs would be so high...you would save money going to the grocery store.

I am not sure you are really arguing for fishing solely for survival or just like me that sustainable harvest should not be eliminated from the fisheries management strategy.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
again its this backwoods blinders over the eyes mentality that has our fisheries in the state its in. you obviously have no concept of diversity in nature or an ecosystem and i would like to personally thank your generation for leaving my generation with the total mess you have.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I eat three times a day for survival. You said I don't need to eat wild game to do that, and should use a grocery store. I'd say you are indeed missing something, though perhaps you were just over-stating your case a bit. I support people eating wild game exclusively if they wish, as long as they take it legally.
I support that as well, my whole point was there is no "need" in 2011 to do that anymore, wether you choose to live this way or not is a different story. Like I said, I have a hard time in thinking it is cost effective to live this way today - it sure would cost me a lot more in the end to do this...

But with your logic of placing this understanding into the ideals of PETA, you might also call me a terrorist when I light off a few fireworks tomorrow
Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Sundancefisher

I agree 100% that fish populations in Alberta could not sustain large harvests with unregulated limits.

The point I'm trying to make is that the statement "We no longer need to be out killing our own food for survival - that is what a grocery store is for..." is not accurate.

If it had read "most" I would have to agree.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Actually...if you read PETA's propaganda... they are more aligned with Okotokian and Jimboy killing everything they hook for food versus anyone wanting to catch and release.

Confusing...but true.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunger View Post
Sundancefisher

I agree 100% that fish populations in Alberta could not sustain large harvests with unregulated limits.

The point I'm trying to make is that the statement "We no longer need to be out killing our own food for survival - that is what a grocery store is for..." is not accurate.

If it had read "most" I would have to agree.
We see eye to eye on the first sentence. I am however confused by the point you are making in sentence 2.

So you will die if you don't hunt and fish in 2012? Please clarify.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM

No I won't starve.
I do know people that rely on hunting to put food on the table that they otherwise would not have. Would they starve? Probably not. But their quality of life would be seriously affected if they had to start buying all of their protein from a store.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Wow this thread has got the makings of a "Quality Trout Thread",,, so last night I was playing with numbers and thought about the economics of fishing,, and yes there are many factors to employ but I stuck with trying to create a supply/demand equation and then made it a supply/pressure/demand equation.

So, what if licenses were issued in value to pressure per region frequented (smaller versions of eastern slopes, pp1, pp2, etc). So if you live in a three hour radius of Edmonton or Calgary your license costs $75, if you live in High Level your license would reflect the pressure in this region and be (for sake of this post) $30, if you frequent the Pincher Creek area $40 and so forth. Additions for other regions can be done as punch card, so if I want to venture to Wabunumunnumununm (<sp?) I would have my license "punched" at a cost of $5.00, which may reflect two outings up that way. A license could be issued for Southern Alberta or Northern or Eastern, or a whole Alberta license for $150, I don't know many fishers who hit every quadrant and subquadrant of the Province. So backwoods Bill in the most remote area of Athabasca only needs a license for $10.

Our license doesn't financially justify a fisheries/conservation/SRD department,, spread over a year it costs .50 cents a week,, that's an incredible privelage/incentive to harvest. It really should reflect the value of the resource. Since last Saturday my family has eaten high quality trout for lunch and supper, I valued the fish at around $32 from the grocers (could be higher, due the quality) and that was just one outing. I don't keep all the time, the fishing is more about peace and quiet and nice air and meeting people, but I'll always keep one for the pan (except Walleye).

So, there are some number crunchers here and some who know the truer numbers or frequencies or pressure,,, can we make a reasonable model for a license based solely on harvest (as if C&R never existed)?

And finally,, somebody mentioned that W.I.N and license fees go into general revenue, this really needs to change or allocated to the department serving the outdoorsmen community.

Oh, and Jimboy fished the early days where the total population of Alberta was probably the same as the total amount of anglers now. It was also a time of less ego on the waters and not a very wasteful post-war society. It is our impact that is the detriment not long gone generations.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Wow this thread has got the makings of a "Quality Trout Thread",,, so last night I was playing with numbers and thought about the economics of fishing,, and yes there are many factors to employ but I stuck with trying to create a supply/demand equation and then made it a supply/pressure/demand equation.

So, what if licenses were issued in value to pressure per region frequented (smaller versions of eastern slopes, pp1, pp2, etc). So if you live in a three hour radius of Edmonton or Calgary your license costs $75, if you live in High Level your license would reflect the pressure in this region and be (for sake of this post) $30, if you frequent the Pincher Creek area $40 and so forth. Additions for other regions can be done as punch card, so if I want to venture to Wabunumunnumununm (<sp?) I would have my license "punched" at a cost of $5.00, which may reflect two outings up that way. A license could be issued for Southern Alberta or Northern or Eastern, or a whole Alberta license for $150, I don't know many fishers who hit every quadrant and subquadrant of the Province. So backwoods Bill in the most remote area of Athabasca only needs a license for $10.

Our license doesn't financially justify a fisheries/conservation/SRD department,, spread over a year it costs .50 cents a week,, that's an incredible privelage/incentive to harvest. It really should reflect the value of the resource. Since last Saturday my family has eaten high quality trout for lunch and supper, I valued the fish at around $32 from the grocers (could be higher, due the quality) and that was just one outing. I don't keep all the time, the fishing is more about peace and quiet and nice air and meeting people, but I'll always keep one for the pan (except Walleye).

So, there are some number crunchers here and some who know the truer numbers or frequencies or pressure,,, can we make a reasonable model for a license based solely on harvest (as if C&R never existed)?

And finally,, somebody mentioned that W.I.N and license fees go into general revenue, this really needs to change or allocated to the department serving the outdoorsmen community.

Oh, and Jimboy fished the early days where the total population of Alberta was probably the same as the total amount of anglers now. It was also a time of less ego on the waters and not a very wasteful post-war society. It is our impact that is the detriment not long gone generations.

I would say it is the cumulative impact of all previous generations combined with the fisheries management direction over that period is what depleted fish stocks. Not Joe blow yesterday. I did a historical review of Alberta fisheries years back. I was amazed what the fishing was like...but the photos of gramps with a rake of 50 bull trout or 100 walleye explained a lot visually. That direction was a mandate to have people catch and kill fish equal or greater than the cost to get them (gas, etc). Times have changed as you noted the population is much greater.

Your theoretical calucation above should include...

Value of fish stocks (ie. there will be a difference between stocked and natural).

Limiting harvest through economic forces (ie. those that want to harvest should pay enough to limit those harvesting to the numbers of harvestable fish).

Economic impact on Alberta's economy

Last time I reviewed the various costs etc...licences did not cover the cost of the recreational activity and management thereof. BC adopted a money in fish and services out system of fisheries management. I believe they have a user group help with developing policies etc. Definitely worth looking at.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
But with your logic of placing this understanding into the ideals of PETA, you might also call me a terrorist when I light off a few fireworks tomorrow
Man, if a guy can't wildly exaggerate once in a while what's the point of posting? LOL
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Actually...if you read PETA's propaganda... they are more aligned with Okotokian and Jimboy killing everything they hook for food versus anyone wanting to catch and release.

Confusing...but true.
Now now Sunny, I just fried up a trout last Sunday. First fish I've caught and eaten in a couple years. I'm just reacting to a statement that sounded an awful lot like I hear anti's say... "You don't need to hunt. There are grocery stores". I know the poster didn't mean no taking of game ever. We just need to stop making THAT statement.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Now now Sunny, I just fried up a trout last Sunday. First fish I've caught and eaten in a couple years. I'm just reacting to a statement that sounded an awful lot like I hear anti's say... "You don't need to hunt. There are grocery stores". I know the poster didn't mean no taking of game ever. We just need to stop making THAT statement.
LOL

I hear ya. There are fanatics on all sides. I have not read anywheres where in anyone said we should not harvest any fish or wildlife in Alberta. If there was one...it is rare and therefore I don't see the need to blow it out of proporation is all.

Most people these days know that to have fish to catch...you have to put some back. How many that some is depends upon is it stocked or natural and what level of harvest can be supported without crashing the population.

Jimboy I am sure realizes that in the end.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Jimboy you can keep posting anytime you want, I am not sure there is anyone on this forum that can top how ridiculous your posts are. Chub even makes a valiant attempt, but the way you can just pull out absurdity is a talent I envy! It is sad when you get so much enjoyment from an internet forum, but when I see you have commented on a thread, I just cant help myself. They say ignorance is bliss - you must be on cloud 9, hey? Fantastic work, keep it up!

thats the most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me