Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Default How do you store your auger at the end of the season??

Do most of you guys and gals just run it out of fuel and put it away for the season?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 PM

I run fuel stabilizer in the last tank of the year and let that work its way through the system over a trip...but don't run it dry before i put it away. I don't think most people recommend running an engine dry as it then leaves it more prone to moisture/corrosion. I run a carb cleaner each spring. You dump stuff in the carb intake until the engine floods with the stuff. Leave it sit 15-20 minutes and then fire it back up again. You can also touch up the spark plug point with a light sandpaper to get rid of any carbon.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM

I hang it up in the garage and it starts on 3 pulls next year. But don't leave much gas in the tank. Did that last year and even had some old gas in the jerry can from last year I used. It stalled alot first 2 trips. Got new gas and has not been tempermental since. Biggest thing for me is to start the new year with new gas.

I know guys that run it dry after each day. This I don't get. Also some use fuel stabilizer & carb cleaner like Elkster. That can't hurt.

I drill maybe 150 holes a season and after 3 years I still haven't take the plug out. Just fresh gas helped me.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM

havent even finished my first tank yet, is the season over already?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Apparently at my FIL's....cause he saw it in my truck and said ...":u don't use that" and took it home!!!!....like he's ice fished in 50 yrs.!!!!...oh well, wife said we can go and buy it back at the spring garage sale for $25.00
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM

My auger is over 27 years old and we have just been running it until it starts to sputter (out of gas) and then hitting the kill switch. From what I can tell it leaves a little coating of oil and/or gas on the inside and this is fine. Fill it up next season with fresh stuff and your ready to go. If you have any spare gas, lawn mower it or put it in a full tank of gas in your truck. Cover the powerhead with a bag or something and your set.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM

pour fuel out of tank- then start it up and run the carb bowl out of fuel- or mix bit of fuel stabilizer in tank and run for lil bit till fuel is mixed in carb..