Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Logging our traplines

Guys, are there any rules on logging our traplines. How close can they come to our cabins? Do they have to leave any trees along our marked trapping trails? I know we are all getting frustrated with pine beatle free for all by FMA holders.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 10-30-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM

We had to shut down half the line last year because of logging. We were told by the supervisor that his logging was more important than squirrel trapping. No compensation was paid

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM

So the crown is basically selling two leases (or some other sort of access) to the same land for purposes that are not complimentary? That makes no sense. Seems to me if you pay for a trapline and you lose the use of a significant portion of it for a period of time, there should be some sort of compensation or rebate of fees paid, etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So the crown is basically selling two leases (or some other sort of access) to the same land for purposes that are not complimentary? That makes no sense. Seems to me if you pay for a trapline and you lose the use of a significant portion of it for a period of time, there should be some sort of compensation or rebate of fees paid, etc.
I like your way of thinking but will it ever happen. Maybe when pigs fly, our business is not big enough for the Alberta Tories. Maybe they could send me to Washington DC 10-20 times about trapping & pipelines

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
FMAs in the image below are green outlines. TPAs are brown outlines:

FMAs in the image below are thick green outline with green fill. TPAs are brown outlines (which look more green than brown in the image).

What you get are a bunch of TPAs inside a much larger FMA. Basically, there are two competing surface activities. And, one has the ability to essentially obliterate the other.

Not very fair to the trapper . . . IMO.

My apologies for the garbage images. They compressed poorly.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
We had to shut down half the line last year because of logging. We were told by the supervisor that his logging was more important than squirrel trapping. No compensation was paid
Quote:
There are avenues for compensation. Here is a link to the ATA website which deals with that subject in detail. I cannot say how well it works as I have no experience with it.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/tips-...-trappers.html

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Default trapline safe zone

Guys, I accept we cannot stop the cutblocks. What I was wondering how close to your cabin or marked trapping trails can they log. What sort of buffer do they have to leave.eg 100yds from marked line?? or can they leave your cabin out in middle of cutblock. One trapper mentioned something like 600 yd buffer for a cabin??
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

No Idea how close they can get.
I'm sitting on a rig that is within a 100m of a trappers cabin right now. If it was my cabin I would be p***ed that they build the lease that close to my cabin. Industry seem to have no respect for the trapper. Yes that is where I make my living but it still gets me going that there seem to be no consideration for the trapper and his assets.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 PM

They can and will log your trails if that's the trees they want

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-30-2013, 02:54 PM

The FMA holder has the most power and will do as they please
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, I accept we cannot stop the cutblocks. What I was wondering how close to your cabin or marked trapping trails can they log. What sort of buffer do they have to leave.eg 100yds from marked line?? or can they leave your cabin out in middle of cutblock. One trapper mentioned something like 600 yd buffer for a cabin??
The contractor must leave a buffer around any cabin, or structure the trapper is activly using. The contractor may leave the entire cabin area if SRD and the mill doing the logging, come to an agreement with the trapper.

The contractor may open up other lines for trapping if the trapper has a TFA permit from SRD.

From my experence in the logging industry.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM

It might depend on the company in the area and the relationship that is worked out with them. I worked for a company that left at a minimum 100m buffers on trappers cabins and sometimes a larger area depending on what was around that cabin. I would recommend having detailed information on your cabin locations and traplines in the form of gps files and maps so that they can be incorporated into planning and reclamation. It's not going to stop the logging but it might help with saving some of the areas of your investment.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Buffer Zones on traplines

Guys, thanks for all the valuable input on logging near our lines and cabins. I find it surprising that their appears to be no guidelines, regulation would be better, from ASRD.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

I think that, regardless of how remote, that most lines are still part of an M.D. That being the case, you used to be able to acquire a lease on a piece of ground surrounding your cabin. Prices varied on the MD. as to what they charged you. Some were not even aware of this in existence but should be able to confirm. Not sure if the rate was for a 5 yr. lease or less...
I believe that, because of the lease agreement and therefore a GPS location, you were also provided some fire protection, as long as it isn't under the Slave Lake ESRD coverage....
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM

I saw a cabin a couple years ago that had been logged right up to the doorstep. It was a well maintained cabin, and the loggers took what would have been a beautiful cabin site and turned it into a cabin standing in the middle of a cutblock.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

It does happen, but it's mostly up to the machine operator the know where the cabin is on his block map and stay the proper distance away.
The other thing is some trappers have not disclosed the location of their cabin for what ever reason (illegal cabins) and then are not marked on the map nor flagged out in the block.

I have run a buncher during night shift and came upon a camp make in dense spruce, unmarked, not much i could do except back out of there and cut around.

It's in the hands of the Feller Buncher operator, the logging contractor can't do much after if the operator cut everything down during a night shift.

I am on both side of this story, involved in the industry and have a trapline, but i always pull for the trapper.