Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Who knew they ate fruit??

Threw this orange out in the backyard and this rabbit ate it!!

Old 04-30-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Threw this orange out in the backyard and this rabbit ate it!!

Yup. I put apple bits out for robins when they arrived on Mar 17. Most of the apple bits were eaten by Jackrabbits.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-30-2018, 11:29 PM

A few years ago I was trying to catch a porcupine in a live trap baited with an apple. Every morning I had to release the same damn rabbit.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
A few years ago I was trying to catch a porcupine in a live trap baited with an apple. Every morning I had to release the same damn rabbit.
apple fed rabbit sounds like it would taste great.
did you alternate between granny smiths and galas, or was it straight mackintosh?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Release? I would have made stew!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmmm internal flavouring of the rabbit prior to the stew pot, great idea!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
apple fed rabbit sounds like it would taste great.
did you alternate between granny smiths and galas, or was it straight mackintosh?
After the third time, I considered “dead” release because it was not giving porky a chance ... and porky was chewing on apple trees.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Last winter rabbit climbed a leaning pole and stuck his head in a marten box on my trapline to get at beaver bait. He became bait himself after that!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Gone Hunting

I know that Wolves and Coyote eat berries, I've seen them doing just that, so I have no trouble believing a rabbit would as well.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know that Wolves and Coyote eat berries, I've seen them doing just that, so I have no trouble believing a rabbit would as well.
Exactly, rabbits are (mostly) vegetarians after all, they eat all sorts of berries, flowers, mushrooms or fruit and produce if it tastes and smells good to them. It's also well known for rabbits to eat their young on occasion.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:21 PM

Those gnarly, suburban Jacks in Calgary will eat the siding off your house, and then pick a fight with your dog!

When your shotgun hits a snowshoe hare with one lousy pellet, that bunny falls over and gives up. With a prairie Jack rabbit, you can ventilate him all day and he keeps going until you execute a perfect heart/lung shot. Man those things are tough!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Those gnarly, suburban Jacks in Calgary will eat the siding off your house, and then pick a fight with your dog!

When your shotgun hits a snowshoe hare with one lousy pellet, that bunny falls over and gives up. With a prairie Jack rabbit, you can ventilate him all day and he keeps going until you execute a perfect heart/lung shot. Man those things are tough!
ROFL

I know what you mean about those Jacks.

When I was in High School my kid brother went with a friend hunting Jacks east of Wetaskiwin.
They shot one, threw it in the trunk and drove back to town, to the place we were renting.

They did some visiting on the way home so they arrived at our house around 1:00 am. All was quiet. No cars on the street, no people walking the sidewalks.

They got out and opened up the trunk to retrieve Mr. Jack only to discover it weren't dead. Darn thing tried to run away.
They had a bit of a rodeo but finally got it pinned to the pavement. Now what to do. They couldn't shoot it to finish the job, not in town. So they tried to suffocate it. That's when it started to scream.
Ken said it sounded like a baby being strangled, only much louder.

Panic set in, they expected all the houses on the street to light up at any moment and the cops to show up shortly after - with guns drawn.
The two of them commenced to beating on that big old Jack trying to shut it up but the more frantically they beat on it the louder it screamed.

Eventually they did get it subdued and put it out of it's misery but by then they wanted nothing to do with Jack rabbits, for the rest of their lives.

To this day my brother turns pale at the mention of Jack Rabbits.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Freak I imagined the scene and am still laughing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Time to get out the Holy Hand Grenade. Just remember to count to three. (Monty Python reference).

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Yes, 'Three' shall be the number thou shall count.

Even the fleas on those mangy Jacks are tough - and HUGE! Never, ever throw a freshly dead Jack over your shoulder to walk back to the truck. As their body cools and the fleas abandon ship, they'll march right through your eyebrows to check out your face to decide if they like you. I looked at a friend once who had Jack rabbit fleas the size of baby shrimp marching across his forehead.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
ROFL

I know what you mean about those Jacks.

When I was in High School my kid brother went with a friend hunting Jacks east of Wetaskiwin.
They shot one, threw it in the trunk and drove back to town, to the place we were renting.

They did some visiting on the way home so they arrived at our house around 1:00 am. All was quiet. No cars on the street, no people walking the sidewalks.

They got out and opened up the trunk to retrieve Mr. Jack only to discover it weren't dead. Darn thing tried to run away.
They had a bit of a rodeo but finally got it pinned to the pavement. Now what to do. They couldn't shoot it to finish the job, not in town. So they tried to suffocate it. That's when it started to scream.
Ken said it sounded like a baby being strangled, only much louder.

Panic set in, they expected all the houses on the street to light up at any moment and the cops to show up shortly after - with guns drawn.
The two of them commenced to beating on that big old Jack trying to shut it up but the more frantically they beat on it the louder it screamed.

Eventually they did get it subdued and put it out of it's misery but by then they wanted nothing to do with Jack rabbits, for the rest of their lives.

To this day my brother turns pale at the mention of Jack Rabbits.
Yes this has happened to me as well and they sound just like a baby screaming, eerie.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, 'Three' shall be the number thou shall count.

Even the fleas on those mangy Jacks are tough - and HUGE! Never, ever throw a freshly dead Jack over your shoulder to walk back to the truck. As their body cools and the fleas abandon ship, they'll march right through your eyebrows to check out your face to decide if they like you. I looked at a friend once who had Jack rabbit fleas the size of baby shrimp marching across his forehead.
Is this from Monty Python? If so which movie?and the fleas yikes.there are all kinds of critters on ducks and geese as well, they leave the body after it's been shot.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Is this from Monty Python? If so which movie?and the fleas yikes.there are all kinds of critters on ducks and geese as well, they leave the body after it's been shot.

It’s off the Holy Grail.

https://youtu.be/QM9Bynjh2Lk

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default Rabbits

Naturally, Rabbits enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables.