Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default SRD no more with new government restructuring?

The AFGA just released the following press release, which is very troubling.
No mention made of Fish & Wildlife in ESRD re-structuring!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - (Edmonton July 4, 2012)... Alberta's largest conservation group, the Alberta Fish & Game Association (AFGA), is concerned that the newly formed Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development department has created seven internal divisions none of which directly include any reference to fish or wildlife. In an internal document received by AFGA, Deputy Minister Dana Woodworth outlined the divisions as follows:
  • Strategy Division
  • Policy Division
  • Operations Division
  • Corporate Division
  • Integrated Resource Management Planning Division
  • Forestry Division
  • Transformation and Integration Division
The document continues stating"...this move has an impact on people, all of us. Old relationships will change or be redefined, and new ones will be built". This undoubtedly a euphemism for career-ending lay-offs which can potentially further damage wildlife management as experts in their fields may be let out to pasture.

This re-structuring creates many unanswered questions such as who looks after fish and wildlife, who enforces the Wildlife Act, how and who will monitor populations, will each of the divisions have a small part of fish and wildlife management and if so how well will they communicate with each other? The list goes on.

"We, as the Alberta Fish and Game Association, hope with all sincerity that these changes will keep fish and wildlife in the forefront and that it will be a better way of doing business, however at this point in time the fact that no mention is made of these two important resources provides us reason for grave concern", said AFGA President Conrad Fennema.

The Alberta Fish and Game Association is a not-for-profit volunteer organization proud to serve Albertans in the promotion of the wise use of our fish and wildlife resources and the conservation of their habitats. The AFGA has been active since 1908 in working towards these goals and has a province-wide membership of more than 21,500 individuals spread among 90+ Clubs.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Default No More Fish and Wildlife Division?

http://www.afga.org/news/article/No-...c9286c3776761/

We are working on a story for the next issue of AO, but we might as well get this out there right now. Details are sketchy, but it looks like there may no longer be a fish and wildlife division in Alberta.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Think some of our DV members should be phoning their MLA, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM

So who's going to be out watching for the idiots that drive black dualies and shoot where ever when ever.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
:
  • Strategy Division
  • Policy Division
  • Operations Division
  • Corporate Division
  • Integrated Resource Management Planning Division
  • Forestry Division
  • Transformation and Integration Division
Oh man, I couldn't have dreamed up that last one even at the end of my most idiotic management retreat. I thought "strategy" and "policy" were vague enough that you could do (or not do) about anything you wanted with them. Agree with the AFGA. We need a "Critter Division" and a "Places That Critters Live Division".
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

I didn't vote for her.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 PM

arrrggghhhh I guess I can wait to see what actually happens.

Hey guys. did you vote for Harper? Fish habitat is now out the window too. Seems like all levels of government are getting even further out of the way of industry doing anything they damn well want.

Oh god, I'm starting to sound like Neil Waugh! (jk neil, jk... sorta)

Last edited by Okotokian; 07-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 PM

I didn't vote for them.....
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

i first heard this 6 weeks ago. im not sure its a bad thing. maybe a few of the dummies within srd will be punted, and hopefully with amalgamation there may be more funding for the guys in the field.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
well...."somebody" did...and we better nip this one in the bud pretty quick!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Thats already becoming very old around here.....and a bit useless...

When the Liberals were in power, its good that people werent ignorant enough to sit around and say "I didnt vote for them" and actually lobby the current government and support the opposition to show opposition and their displeasure for the things they were doing...

This is a democracy....even if 'your' side didnt win, people should still have a voice and be active. Or....a guy could just become predictable with the "I didnt vote for them" line which apparently erases all sense of interest in a subject. That cant seriously be the best that people have got around here. Hell, I dont even live in the province and I'm looking into how I can show my displeasure....
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter who didn't vote for her (I didn't), but it is time to get your lobby hat on. Time to get those "other" organizations on board, not just the AFGA. Organizations like the AWA, which knows how make noise, especially in the Calgary media. Does anyone have GOOD contacts in side any of the Treaty organizations.

I will be talking both to my MLA, who happens to be in cabinet, as well as another cabinet minister I know well.

This needs a full court press. You need to do more then send emails to your MLA. Written letters (hand written is best) that are mailed will get more attention. Phone calls will, and personal meetings are best. It doesn't matter who you voted for, it matters that you contact them.

This is SOOOO disturbing.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Looks like they want more paper pushers and less boots on the ground?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Might be a good place to start the ball rolling right here....everyone here says all the time how much they love the hunting, fishing etc. I think it would be pretty tough for her to ignore 20,000 e-mails (also pretty sad if only 2/3 of the members here chose to send one)....
Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Might be a good place to start the ball rolling right here....everyone here says all the time how much they love the hunting, fishing etc. I think it would be pretty tough for her to ignore 20,000 e-mails (also pretty sad if only 2/3 of the members here chose to send one)....
What Hal53 said, and see, him and I can agree on things
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM

maybe we should get a form letter on the forum that all the members can easily cut and paste, we can Email bomb our representatives
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
maybe we should get a form letter on the forum that all the members can easily cut and paste, we can Email bomb our representatives
pophouseman, with all due respect, politicians ignore form letters as they see it as an organized drive.

It is much better to contact them as individuals. You ARE the voters, and if we can get the non-hunters and anglers upset, like we did back in the game farm and potatogate issues, we have a chance at winning this one.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
pophouseman, with all due respect, politicians ignore form letters as they see it as an organized drive.

It is much better to contact them as individuals. You ARE the voters, and if we can get the non-hunters and anglers upset, like we did back in the game farm and potatogate issues, we have a chance at winning this one.
X2!!!....state in your own words your displeasure....mine has gone to her, hope many more follow...
H.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh man, I couldn't have dreamed up that last one even at the end of my most idiotic management retreat. I thought "strategy" and "policy" were vague enough that you could do (or not do) about anything you wanted with them. Agree with the AFGA. We need a "Critter Division" and a "Places That Critters Live Division".
the one that scares me is "integrated resource management"....hmmmmm lets put her buddy Rob McIntosh in charge of F&W....nice....real nice
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default Contact list for MLAs

If you want to get in contact with your MLA, here is the contact list, including email addresses and phone numbers. Phoning is best

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_home
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If you want to get in contact with your MLA, here is the contact list, including email addresses and phone numbers. Phoning is best

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_home
no one seems very interested....
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

I have just been informed that Rick Blackwood, who was Asst. Deputy Minister for Fish and Wildlife, will be heading the Transformation and Integration Division.

I can further advise that it looks like all new divisions will be split up as per the boundaries in the in the Land-Use Framework. It will be lead by Mathew Machielse who was Assistant Deputy Minister, Economic Policy Policy Coordination in the Executive Branch.... in other words, the Premiers Office.

More news as I get it. Apparently F&W staff have a luncheon meeting this Friday which will outline more details.

Sounds like things are developing as opposed to being completely planned out, but things will go forward without F&W being front and center.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
sheephunter

Can anyone say privatization? Is it possible our F&W duties, other than enforcement that was conveniently moved the the SG's office, might be in the hands of a private agency soon?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Can anyone say privatization? Is it possible our F&W duties, other than enforcement that was conveniently moved the the SG's office, might be in the hands of a private agency soon?
wonder if they would spin off the expanded Sherriffs role?...
gotta go find where the wife keeps the tin foil, this is getting curioser and curioser..lol
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Geezus TJ, I hope you haven't heard any rumors to that affect!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good grief I hope not we've privatized enough in this province already.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 PM

just sent my MLA for Bonnyville/Cold Lake an email asking about rumours in rgards to Fish and Wild Life
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealclubber View Post
Good grief I hope not we've privatized enough in this province already.
I don't know, depends who it goes to and what duties their are, it may not be a bad thing at all.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

My understanding is that they will fall under operations.
The theory is that there will be more F&W out there enforcing and less in the office tied to the desk.

If you think thats weird...they married a big chunk AHS with SRD.
Can't wait till it comes down to an interdepartmental conflict between... a wetland or something and the people that have to live next to it.

Less government.
Sometimes getting what you want is worse than living with what you have.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know, depends who it goes to and what duties their are, it may not be a bad thing at all.
Well, as I outlined in post 22, Blackwood will be in charge of Transformation and Integration Division, whatever that means. Blackwood of course was the ADM in charge of F&W.

The only privatized agency that would remotely be capable would be the ACA, but I don't see that happening, as that would require a change in the legislation, and this is an administrative move, which doesn't even require a regulatory change.