Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default $$$ whitetail allocations $$$

Anyone know what the average price of a rifle whitetail allocation is nowadays?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Unhappy sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
me i would have to say no i don't price of a rifle whitetail allocation is nowadays?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
All depends where you are. But from what I've seen lately they aren't worth what they used to be. I remember guys paying 16K a piece almost 20 years ago, and up to 24K ten years ago.
The last decent ones I saw were selling for 8K, but they were only decent, not good ones.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

130$
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

130$
He didn't ask what the renewal or transfer fee was, he asked what people are paying for them.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

Thanks guys,

Tork is correct, I was wondering about the cost of the allocation not the renewal.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys,

Tork is correct, I was wondering about the cost of the allocation not the renewal.
He knows. He just hates Outfitters and was making a crack about how allocations shouldn't be worth anything.

When in fact he's a total hypocrite, because he has no problem going to another country and hunting with an outfitter. Just not in Alberta, because Outfitters don't need money here to support their families and employees, but there they do.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Yes I just don't get it I'm a guide have been for 20 plus years friends with a few big Outfitters but they just don't see it when we gotta wait 10 to 20 30 years for an antelope hunt but yet anyone with money from a different country can come and buy one every year I don't get it I definitely think things should change for the resident Hunters never always used to think like that but I'm more of a resident Hunter now than a guide

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 PM

It is the way it is guys and I don't see it changing. I wish it would but it won't. I spent $4500 on a Speedgoat hunt for myself and went to NM last year just so I could get a good goat.
As for all round hunting Tork is right in we have a good amount to hunt here in Alberta. We are lucky with what we have even though it should be way better.
I'd love it to manage thing so we could get tags more often and have better quality but it just ain't going to happen. Between Native Harvests, Canadian non residents thinking they are residents and hunt in multiple provinces every year and outfitter tags the resident will always get the left overs. The glory days are over boys so get a second job and save your pennies for your hunting trips where you can get them when you want because hunting here at home isn't going to get better....
Old 03-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes I just don't get it I'm a guide have been for 20 plus years friends with a few big Outfitters but they just don't see it when we gotta wait 10 to 20 30 years for an antelope hunt but yet anyone with money from a different country can come and buy one every year I don't get it I definitely think things should change for the resident Hunters never always used to think like that but I'm more of a resident Hunter now than a guide

Thank you for the honest post ^^^
Old 03-05-2017, 01:16 PM

I begrudge no one the opportunity to make a living, guides included, so this is not a slam at anyone. But there is no way on earth we should have to apply in a draw for a tag that a yankee can come and buy for cash. The wildlife of this, or any other province is owned by it's citizens, not it's wealthy neighbors to the south.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:01 PM

My understanding was that the number of allocations issued to outfitters per specie per wmu was established on a percentage of what the total of amount of animals per specie was harvested by residents in that perspective wmu.
The percentage used to determine how many allocations were available for that specie was 3%. Whether that is still the case or not I am unsure.
The DNR does not care if the same non resident comes and kills an antelope each year with an outfitter. That outfitter has x amount of allocations and he chooses who to fill them with. And personally I do not care either.
I would imagine Wyoming is the same with their antelope, the residents wait to get the drawn, but you could go down there each year if you choose and hunt with an outfitter.

And yes allocations have been dropping in price over the last few years.

Last edited by laker; 03-05-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
My understanding was that the number of allocations issued to outfitters per specie per wmu was established on a percentage of what the total of amount of animals per specie was harvested by residents in that perspective wmu.
The percentage used to determine how many allocations were available for that specie was 3%. Whether that is still the case or not I am unsure.
The DNR does not care if the same non resident comes and kills an antelope each year with an outfitter. That outfitter has x amount of allocations and he chooses who to fill them with. And personally I do not care either.
I would imagine Wyoming is the same with their antelope, the residents wait to get the drawn, but you could go down there each year if you choose and hunt with an outfitter.

And yes allocations have been dropping in price over the last few years.
I wouldn't care either if Alberta residents were allowed to use those allocations off an Outfitter but we are not

Old 03-05-2017, 03:59 PM

I think the point that gets lost in the heated rhetoric is that if every Albertan could afford to go down to Wyoming to hunt an antelope then that would be fine. Kind of like a little Utopia it would be. The reality is most can't. However, most likely can drive down to southern Alberta. They would need the same hotels, and would be spending money in the same establishments as a foreigner, but we can't do that, but once or twice in a lifetime. Yet, a wealthy foreigner, should he choose, can come and hunt that very species, every year should he choose. That part of the allocation system is broke.

Guys like Nube and Claudio Ongaro should absolutely be able to make a lawful living outfitting waterfowl, as there is no draw system limiting opportunities for resident hunters. If they are successful at it, all the power to them.

It's when I can't hunt that species on a general license that it is wrong. Why it continues I have no idea.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I agree the system on the surface seems set up to benefit the outfitters. On the other hand you say anybody with money from another country can hunt antelope every year. I guess technically they could but they would have to find an outfitter that hasn't sold his hunts or has had a cancellation. Yes there are a few who do as you describe and hunt antelope or mule deer or whatever every year because they have been using the same outfitter for years or have a booking agent who gets them to the front of the line and have a place save for them, or they outbid the other hunters who want to come here, but because they do that, some other person from a different country doesn't get to hunt here. It's first come first served for non residents. There are tons of non residents who would be hunting here if they could find outfitters who had tags, but outfitters only have what they have and when they're sold out that's a wrap. There are several on here who are trying to make it sound like outfitters can print tags and sell as many hunts to non residents as they want, which is not true.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I agree the system on the surface seems set up to benefit the outfitters. On the other hand you say anybody with money from another country can hunt antelope every year. I guess technically they could but they would have to find an outfitter that hasn't sold his hunts or has had a cancellation. Yes there are a few who do as you describe and hunt antelope or mule deer or whatever every year because they have been using the same outfitter for years or have a booking agent who gets them to the front of the line and have a place save for them, or they outbid the other hunters who want to come here, but because they do that, some other person from a different country doesn't get to hunt here. It's first come first served for non residents. There are tons of non residents who would be hunting here if they could find outfitters who had tags, but outfitters only have what they have and when they're sold out that's a wrap. There are several on here who are trying to make it sound like outfitters can print tags and sell as many hunts to non residents as they want, which is not true.
You're exactly right but I still can't wrap my head around foreigners can come every year and we can't

Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You're exactly right but I still can't wrap my head around foreigners can come every year and we can't

It's simple it's all about money.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:

So if you could, say use the outfitters allocation for Antelope, would you ? Or do you just want the choice to use it ?

Silver sage sells there hunts for $4500 US. That would cost you about $6,000 Canadian.

Because if you want, for about half that you could drive 4 hours further south and hunt then every year 👍
Old 03-05-2017, 07:07 PM

Here's a question for everybody

If non residents had to put in for a draw just like we do, would you be ok with them hunting here ?

Or are you totally against sharing and eliminating the outfitting industry ?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
So if you could, say use the outfitters allocation for Antelope, would you ? Or do you just want the choice to use it ?

Silver sage sells there hunts for $4500 US. That would cost you about $6,000 Canadian.

Because if you want, for about half that you could drive 4 hours further south and hunt then every year 👍
One thing I have noticed is there are very few that really spend much for money on outfitted hunts in other countries or even out of province. Even if guys could there would be very few actually buying a tag from an outfitter here in Alberta.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM

You are exactly right but I still can't wrap my head around a foreigner can pay for a hunt here that I don't have the opportunity to have

Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Check out Harry McCowen website, he has some Alberta WT allocations listed.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSb...GBRqFl354D00w-
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Check out Harry McCowen website, he has some Alberta WT allocations listed.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSb...GBRqFl354D00w-

Thank you!