Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season? (2022 Edition)

It's that time of year again. I posted a similar thread last season that seemed to be well received.

Last year I said I had pretty much everything I wanted in October and then proceeded to drop a few grand through the season anyways. This season I'm already overcommitted to new stuff I'll post up here as I break it out. I'll start out with the new ice camping hub shelter I picked up last week. Again, I posted quite a thorough review here of why I went with the new Otter Pro Vortex Monster Lodge over the Eskimo Outbreak 850XD or the Eskimo 9416i I already had. Once we have a good 7-8" of ice I'll break it out for its maiden voyage. The 9416i already sold on the AO Buy & Sell Forum.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:57 PM

One of the things I'm most excited about is upgrading my LiveScope system, since it's like the hub of everything I do on the ice. I'm selling my original LiveScope Ice Fishing Bundle and upgrading to a "custom" LiveScope Plus setup. Garmin actually makes two LVS34 transducers. I'm waiting for the LVS34-IF to come into stock. The -IF stands for ice fishing, and it comes with a more flexible cold-weather cable. You can't order a LiveScope Plus System with the -IF transducer though, so I'll have to order the GLS-10 black box separately. I'm going to stick with Garmin's shuttle and bag system since it works well and holds the chartplotter at a good angle for the fishing I do. But I am going to run ArcLab's Pro Series pole and ice bundle instead of Garmin's bulky pole system. ArcLab's isn't much more compact, but it will make it easier to use the unit on a boat when I get around to it.

Live imaging is where it's at folks. It's so effective and entertaining on the ice.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 PM

AlbertanGP, can I come fishing with you? Please.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Absolutely. Where are we going?
Old 10-10-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Absolutely. Where are we going?
Let's start out at Wab. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2022, 07:51 AM

My new Lowrance Explorer Active Target Ice Kit arrived in the mail last week, I'm pretty excited to get out on the ice with it this winter.

Very impressed with it. It's like the world's finest ice fishing milk crate lol.

The backpack carrying case has a removeable plastic frame, a lot like a milk crate, that everything attaches to - sonar unit, battery, and Active Target box. It keeps everything solidly mounted and protected, and it's still quite light. Great idea.

The transducer pole is aluminum, with lots of length, so no issues when the ice gets crazy thick. The handle could maybe be a bit longer, but it folds down really small for transport which is nice.

The new Explorer ice fishing stuff is available "a la carte" with everything separate if you already have a sonar unit or Active Target system and just want the pack or the pole, or in complete bundles.

I bought the full Elite FS9 bundle, it comes with the FS9, Active Target transducer, Active Target black box, custom wiring harness that powers the black box on and off automatically with the sonar power, ethernet cable, ice transducer pole, a Dakota Lithium 24Ah battery with 2 USB charging ports built in, and the backpack bag with frame to keep it all in. The only thing missing is a 2D sonar transducer, which would be handy for just checking depths when hole hopping and as another "eye" on the water below. I've got one that I can throw in, but that was a bit of a miss by Lowrance IMHO, that should be included when you buy the full meal deal kit.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but I *think* you might be able to squeeze a 12" HDS unit into the bag. That would be pretty sweet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (47.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (124.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (38.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (42.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (63.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (118.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (147.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (100.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:21 PM

I got a Mega Live and an ArcLabs pole and boat mount in Spring and just got the ice tripod for it as well. Looking forward to using it out on the ice this winter for lakers.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-14-2022, 04:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That as I mentioned before is just a freakin fish slaying rig!!!

Had one similar last year and many thanks if your reading this drag my F150 out of a snow drift effortlessly.

Can hardly wait until the Skandic SWT shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2022, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up

Got the call yesterday the skidoo has arrived, dealer will let me know when I can pick it up after the techs go over it etc

Will post a few pics of the beast.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Got the call yesterday the skidoo has arrived, dealer will let me know when I can pick it up after the techs go over it etc

Good for you. What a gorgeous sled!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Funny, I got the same text yesterday.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:

i ordered a skidoo expidtion sport . hope it shows up this year.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
i ordered a skidoo expidtion sport . hope it shows up this year.
Mine are Expedition SEs I snow checked in March. So hopefully your Expedition also arrives soon.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:30 AM

In case anyone is wondering, the new IF-specific LiveScope transducer with it's silicone cable is worth the price of admission alone. The benefits of upgrading from the LVS32 to the LVS34 are just icing on the cake.

I'll see if I can get a side-by-side before I deliver my old LiveScope setup tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:56 AM

Aqua-Vu Av715C with 75' Cable and Mo-Pod 3 Bundle

We got this for $399.00
At cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Aqua-Vu Av715C with 75' Cable and Mo-Pod 3 Bundle

We got this for $399.00
At cabelas.
Hard to beat that deal.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:17 PM

Last Spring, I bought Striker's top floatation suit, the Apex Jacket and Bib. It was regularly $1,260 at TFH, but was on sale for $756. My old predator suit is still holding up fine, but I wanted a spare suit for another son that doesn't come out as often. I've only had the chance to use it down to around -20*C so far, but it's a nice suit. I definitely like it better than the Predator (I do miss the microfiber towels on the bibs though...none of Strikers suits have them any more). But I don't think the Apex suit is worth almost double the price of the Predator. The Predator is a very nice suit I was comfortable in down to -50*C last Christmas.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Last Spring, I bought Striker's top floatation suit, the Apex Jacket and Bib. It was regularly $1,260 at TFH, but was on sale for $756. My old predator suit is still holding up fine, but I wanted a spare suit for another son that doesn't come out as often. I've only had the chance to use it down to around -20*C so far, but it's a nice suit. I definitely like it better than the Predator (I do miss the microfiber towels on the bibs though...none of Strikers suits have them any more). But I don't think the Apex suit is worth almost double the price of the Predator. The Predator is a very nice suit I was comfortable in down to -50*C last Christmas.

I need a floatation jacket at some point. I have the Striker Ice bibs and they're among the best money I've ever spent in fishing. Probably come spring time, at the end of this ice season, I'll try and catch a end of season sale and get either a Striker, Eskimo or FXR jacket to complete my gear.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I need a floatation jacket at some point. I have the Striker Ice bibs and they're among the best money I've ever spent in fishing. Probably come spring time, at the end of this ice season, I'll try and catch a end of season sale and get either a Striker, Eskimo or FXR jacket to complete my gear.
Cabela's has some good prices on flotation gear in their Black Friday Sale you may want to check out.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
It's that time of year again. I posted a similar thread last season that seemed to be well received.

Last year I said I had pretty much everything I wanted in October and then proceeded to drop a few grand through the season anyways. This season I'm already overcommitted to new stuff I'll post up here as I break it out. I'll start out with the new ice camping hub shelter I picked up last week. Again, I posted quite a thorough review here of why I went with the new Otter Pro Vortex Monster Lodge over the Eskimo Outbreak 850XD or the Eskimo 9416i I already had. Once we have a good 7-8" of ice I'll break it out for its maiden voyage. The 9416i already sold on the AO Buy & Sell Forum.

You need a very strong auger to drill holes there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-21-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Lol. That's what all lakes felt like after I got back from Diefenbaker last year. That trip was hard on the blades.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Homeless shelters

Dibs on the middle one.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:21 PM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season? (2022 Edition)

Ordered up a new Otter Rod Case during the Black Friday sale at CMX Powersports on Wednesday. As usual, first class service and pricing. Received this morning.

Got the 48 inch” model. Very robust construction, probably throw it out of the back of the truck at 60 mph and not hurt it. Pricey but worth it. Broke 3 rods in my old case which gets pricey quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-25-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:32 PM

JawJackers came on sale for $50 at Cabela's for black friday. I ordered two of them so I'm looking forward to trying them out this year.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:47 PM

New for me a 6 sided insulated clam hut, trying to put a stove hole in it, soon, could always use my big buddy heater

my eskimo double 4 man hut is for sale, not insulated , but comes with screw in anchors 6
Old 11-25-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
JawJackers came on sale for $50 at Cabela's for black friday. I ordered two of them so I'm looking forward to trying them out this year.
Even at $50 they're ridiculously expensive for what they are...and yet so worth it.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Even at $50 they're ridiculously expensive for what they are...and yet so worth it.
I think they should be about $30 but everything thing these days is ridiculously expensive. Glad to hear they're worth it though.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I think they should be about $30 but everything thing these days is ridiculously expensive. Glad to hear they're worth it though.
there are some excellent home made versions around. I think I may have to build another this winter for walter just for fun. myself, I received my new Marcum camera Friday so Im excited to get back on the ice and try it out. Hopefully the water is starting to clear in the bays now

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-26-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad I bought all mine when they were under $35 and the jigging bases were $99.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:25 PM

I found my new vehicle to get to the hotspots quicker! just need to find a flame proof sled mount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRJItKqClk

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich