Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-02-2022, 09:38 PM

Default Castoreum

With castoreum prices at such highs I’m curious if anybody knows where it is going. I’ve heard in the making of perfume. Anybody have any insight? Who are the buyers? What are they using it for?
Old 04-03-2022, 09:10 AM

I know it is used in ice cream and that a distillery in New Hampshere uses it in their whisky. $65US for 6 ounce bottle.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:46 AM

Always thought Ladies perfume was largest market.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:04 PM

Oddly enough strawberry flavouring
Old 04-04-2022, 07:13 AM

I'm aware of it being used in the perfume & cosmetic industry and as a food additive (not exactly a vanilla replacement apparently but still a 'natural ingredient' for flavouring). I've also heard that it was at one time used in the tobacco industry as a flavouring for certain cigarettes; not sure if that is still the case. And, apparently it is used in some types of natural medicine for menstrual cramps, anxiety and insomnia. And, of course, lures for trappers!
Old 04-04-2022, 07:29 AM

Default Castor article

I wrote a 3 page article on Castoreum for the Alberta Trapper, about 2 years ago. It was a fascinating story to research, and One of my favourite published stories. There are many uses including perfume, vanilla enhancing capability, medicinal, traditional medicine (First Nation) etc. Interesting as well- a lot of castor is ultimately ending up in new markets like Dubai, Saudi Arabia, China. And yes there is long standing demand from traditional perfume customers in France for instance. One long time buyer (3rd gen buyer!) was very helpful on the story- and did a online presentation to West Central trappers (ATA) last year. Christian Hrab is his name - Montreal. Another fascinating angle is how castor can go back and forth between dry and wet state with humidity, temp. Lot of challenges there
Old 04-06-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
I wrote a 3 page article on Castoreum for the Alberta Trapper, about 2 years ago. It was a fascinating story to research, and One of my favourite published stories. There are many uses including perfume, vanilla enhancing capability, medicinal, traditional medicine (First Nation) etc. Interesting as well- a lot of castor is ultimately ending up in new markets like Dubai, Saudi Arabia, China. And yes there is long standing demand from traditional perfume customers in France for instance. One long time buyer (3rd gen buyer!) was very helpful on the story- and did a online presentation to West Central trappers (ATA) last year. Christian Hrab is his name - Montreal. Another fascinating angle is how castor can go back and forth between dry and wet state with humidity, temp. Lot of challenges there
Interesting. Do you have a link for the article?
Old 04-06-2022, 09:43 PM

Seems to me that castoreum is indispensable and ought to be worth a whole lot more than trappers get paid.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:26 PM

We think the same about the furs.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
We think the same about the furs.
Yes, but furs aren’t widely used like castoreum… which leads me to think that trappers ought to control the marketing of castoreum through a privately owned co-op etc.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Yes, but furs aren’t widely used like castoreum… which leads me to think that trappers ought to control the marketing of castoreum through a privately owned co-op etc.
Chef may be on to something, but I believe there is a synthetic/man made castoreum produced. The real castoreum is preferred but price an availability reflects what is used. I am going to have to look back in some of the Alberta trapper magazines an find Garry G write ups on Castoreum. I probably got my info from reading His research. Garry Goberson aka muskrat/coyote assassin has written articles in our magazine for years always a good read with very interesting history an info.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:40 PM

Read an article that talked about the use of synthetic castorium and how the sales of products that were using it went way down. People could tell the difference and weren’t happy. Companies turned back to the natural product and that is when we started to see the continuing rise in the value of castor.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Interesting. Do you have a link for the article?
Christian hrab is a great guy and I sell all my castor to him. He pays auction prices, the shipping with no shrinkage and e transfer quickly. 1000 times better than using fha. I'm sure he said that he ships alot of it over to india and Pakistan or something like that.