Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 08:12 AM

Default Cochrane Area Late September

We'll be heading down to Cochrane to visit family at the end of the month. I may be able to sneak away for an afternoon or two of fishing. I've never fished that area.

Is the Bow in Cochrane worth taking a crack at or should I plan to drive out of town a little ways? Any tips on access points?

Would it be too late to float some hopper patterns? I'm primarily a dry fly and streamer guy when it comes to rivers, having not quite figured out nymphing yet.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:21 AM

Floated the Bow from ghost to Cochrane on Tuesday the bite seems to really pick up late afternoon. Honestly there is lots of access around town to flick out a fly or 2. Also 45 mins west you can try around Seebe/exshaw/Canmore area if you have the time with several highway access points.

Last edited by fishead; 09-08-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:16 AM

early morning b4 the dam is let loose fish 50-300 yds upstream of the hwy22 bridge for rmwhitefish ... small sculpin with a small san juan dropper and a orange bead head .. or a nail, fly maggot combo bounced along the bottom ... the big pool around the bend from the camp ground can often have rising fish in a fall afternoon ... otherwise streamers ... the trout pond in town used to be good, CR for adults ... wet fly stripped ... mouth of Jumping Pound where it enters the bow above hwy22 bridge ... or just wade jumping pound and walk upstream and fish as you go
Old 09-08-2022, 06:45 PM

Good stuff, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying a new area. I may have to try the dropper fly thing, that's something completely new to me.