Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2022, 12:29 PM
Banned

Exclamation Conservation, Thompson Steelhead Style

I know some don't like Hooton's approach to trying to generate change... But I do.

Thanks Bob for your efforts.

Conservation, Thompson Steelhead Style

We’re deep enough into the annual returns of Interior Fraser Steelhead (IFS) to be able to go out on a limb and say a few things about the commitment of three levels of government (federal, provincial and indigenous) to conservation of the most iconic steelhead in British Columbia, if not the entire range of the animal. We’re past the point of anyone even recognizing, much less caring about the other stocks (Chilcotin, Bridge, Seton, Stein and Nahatlatch) that make up that group of steelhead so the only game in town is the Thompson. Let’s examine where we’re at in the conservation arena as of Halloween, 2022. Start with recent history. (The red line represents 938 spawners, the science supported minimum requirement.)

There is a lot of content which follows, culminating in this assessment:

Conservation is a meaningless term of convenience, consistently trumped by the politics of reconciliation and business opportunity. Steelhead, IFS or otherwise, do not warrant recognition.

I absolutely concur...

Nog
Old 11-02-2022, 12:33 PM

So sad.
Do we get to watch the same thing on the Skeena next?
Old 11-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
So sad.
Do we get to watch the same thing on the Skeena next?
Already happening...
Old 11-02-2022, 12:44 PM

All the clear cutting on spawning tributaries is helping speed up the demise.

It is unfortunate the folks pick the easy way rather than the right way to do things. We are headed for a bio-lack of diversity world
Old 11-02-2022, 12:52 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
All the clear cutting on spawning tributaries is helping speed up the demise.
This is very true, and readily apparent on Vancouver Island.

Quoting a career Forester from a discussion on another Forum:

" Having worked for the Ministry of Forest from 1962 until 2002 and been on all the forest roads ever since I can back up what others have written here. I'm not a Green Peacer or an anti logger by any means, but I can see right from wrong. I used to mention it to my superiors and they replied that is was all under control. I bought a chemical kit and took tests of all our island rivers and have the proof of what has been done. I took under water pictures and video with my GoPro cameras. Much of my experiments and tests were recorded in my diaries.

#1 There is no old growth forest remaining on Vancouver Island, and I would guess there is none on the remainder of the coast. You could not put on a scalers log exam today because there are no trees big enough.

#2 There is very little mature second growth trees remaining, and even the second growth trees are being cut long before they are half grown.

#3 The trees of most concern are the Douglas Fir which are the most valuable. The fact is that Douglas fir has a very acidic resin and every time a fir is cut the stump secretes the acidic resin into the nearest waterway. The acidic resin kills all plant growth in the stream and there is nothing remaining for fish (salmon fry and trout) to eat.

#4 Mature trees shade the land and prevent droughts. They also prevent floods by slowly releasing the water and give it a chance to soak in. Currently, we've just gone through a drought, but because the rains have come intermittently the water has had a chance to soak in before rushing into the nearest river.

This is the Muchalat Valley where the Gold river joins the Muchalat River. At one time the Gold River was one of the finest steelhead rivers on Vancouver Island, but it is now closed to fishing because there are no steelhead remaining. That was all caused by excessive cutting of second growth and third growth Douglas Fir forests."

SAD!
Old 11-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Banned

Arrow

Apologies Folks!

Thought I had put the link to the article in when I first posted.

Damn SomeTimers...

So, here you go: https://steelheadvoices.com/?p=3314

Worth the read IMO...

Nog
Old 11-03-2022, 10:48 PM

There is nothing left.

One generation has consumed everything.

Almost all conservation organizations and government agencies exist to take money and make a show of environmentalism.

The truth is that if they were effective, they would not be permitted to persist.

All those government employees that butted heads with superiors and left the service were the ones doing the right thing.

I love meeting conservationists that live in big houses on a hill overlooking a scenic landscape, or on a gulf island.

Bought and paid for.

It's all a show and the road to Nanaimo Lakes is locked to you plebs.