Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 09:53 AM

Default Fishing sonar help

Good prices right now, this or that. If I get the Lawrence will the navionics card have lakes like Newell and Rattlesnake on it?

https://www.gpscentral.ca/product/lo...3-200-hdi-row/

https://www.gpscentral.ca/product/ga...ker-vivid-7cv/

I am leaning toward the Garmin as it is supposed to have a great view. I have i fish on my tablet so I do have lake maps.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-28-2022, 10:21 AM

The navionics maps give some info but our southern res they are way off. If I buy a new unit I would do my own mapping and would be way better though time intensive. Don't forget Genesis social maps if you can find 1.

y
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Good prices right now, this or that. If I get the Lawrence will the navionics card have lakes like Newell and Rattlesnake on it?

https://www.gpscentral.ca/product/lo...3-200-hdi-row/

https://www.gpscentral.ca/product/ga...ker-vivid-7cv/

I am leaning toward the Garmin as it is supposed to have a great view. I have i fish on my tablet so I do have lake maps.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:02 PM

I haven't seen any mapping for Western Canada that isn't hot garbage. These are the only decent maps I've ever seen for any lakes I fish. They won't put you on the "spot on the spot". But they do generally give a good idea over the overall bathymetry.

Of your two choices, I'd go with the Lowrance personally. I'm not familiar with the GT20-TM transducer on the Garmin, but the 83/200 HDI transducer on the Lowrance is the real deal. You'll want a proper ice transducer for either if you are using it for ice fishing.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:28 PM

Navionics maps are generally terrible. They're an estimate.

If you go Lowrance, you'll have access to the Genesis Maps FREE Social Maps layer, and even have the ability to custom shade the contours.

https://www.genesismaps.com/SocialMa...x?mwID=1241131

The attached maps show the available coverage at Newell and Rattlesnake. They're at a 1m contour interval, they're available with 1' contour data as well, which is even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newell 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Rattlesnake.jpg (42.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-28-2022, 01:57 PM

I'm a garmin guy....I have a vivid 7sv and love it. The gt 20 ducer is the entry level chip ducer but it does map well. If you can swing the extra $100 get a vivid 7sv with the gt52 ducer. Garmin has its own map sharing app as well called active captain (lots of other features in the app as well).
Here is what's available for user mapping on newell.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I haven't seen any mapping for Western Canada that isn't hot garbage. These are the only decent maps I've ever seen for any lakes I fish. They won't put you on the "spot on the spot". But they do generally give a good idea over the overall bathymetry.

Of your two choices, I'd go with the Lowrance personally. I'm not familiar with the GT20-TM transducer on the Garmin, but the 83/200 HDI transducer on the Lowrance is the real deal. You'll want a proper ice transducer for either if you are using it for ice fishing.
I have the i-fish program that uses those maps on my tablet. It marks my position as I travel (chart plotter?), I can mark positions and I am guessing label them, and I find the charts quit accurate. Looking at the other maps on this thread and it is not even close. I guess I will continue to use my tablet for navigation.

Thomas Sowell