Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: should their be a big price to pay for neglecting to take your ice shack off the ice and it going th
yes, they polute the lakes 132 95.65%
no 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

Default ice shacks

should ice shack owners be find if their shack goes throught the ice?
expensively find
Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

it should say "through the ice" on the poll not "th"
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

They should at least be charged for the cost to remove and dispose of them.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Well if the owner is in the shack when it goes under I hope they "find" them

I'm with Dave, they have to pay to remove it if they don't

We need some sort of registration rule but that will only cost the gov more money so it won't happen

Last edited by Willowtrail; 03-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM

I use to fish the Ottawa River, and we had a set date for shack removal. I think it was March 15th, regardless of the ice and weather conditions. All huts had to be registered and have the registration number affixed to the hut. One year we were burning skids in our woodstove and we noticed that the MNR had affixed our number to the wood pallets. Taking your hut off also meant taking your extras also (they also gps'd your site). Some years it was a chore to get the hut off and some years it was easy. As you came off they would be there with their check list. Fines were heavy for those who opted for a later date removal or the melt through method.

Alberta would do well with this method. Registration was free, non compliance was their money maker. You were not allowed open liquor unless there was a bunk in the hut.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM

of course it is littering is it not
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
We need some sort of registration rule but that will only cost the gov more money so it won't happen
This is one of the AFGA resolutions this year. Using WIN numbers as a registration number wouldn't cost anything. I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner and I wouldn't rule it out from happening.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123952
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
I use to fish the Ottawa River, and we had a set date for shack removal. I think it was March 15th, regardless of the ice and weather conditions. All huts had to be registered and have the registration number affixed to the hut. One year we were burning skids in our woodstove and we noticed that the MNR had affixed our number to the wood pallets. Taking your hut off also meant taking your extras also (they also gps'd your site). Some years it was a chore to get the hut off and some years it was easy. As you came off they would be there with their check list. Fines were heavy for those who opted for a later date removal or the melt through method.

Alberta would do well with this method. Registration was free, non compliance was their money maker. You were not allowed open liquor unless there was a bunk in the hut.
x2 I had a shack in Pembroke in the bay behind the lumber company. I had to go on course at short notice one year just before the drop dead date for taking my shack off and I was scrambling to find some guys to take it off for me. It all worked out but given the situation and, without a registration system, I wonder how many guys would have made the effort that I had to.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Cool

I want to know when they are considered salvage,so I can go grab a nice one before it ends up on the bottom. have a friend with an argo so should be no prob.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

Wink thats the way to do it, "fish gunner"

like a clearence sale:innoc ent:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This is one of the AFGA resolutions this year. Using WIN numbers as a registration number wouldn't cost anything. I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner and I wouldn't rule it out from happening.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123952
I hope it happens. Everything I own seems to need to be registered.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post

I agree with the registration of the ice huts, but one thing always leads to another.

Starts out as a free registration, then the governments sees that they are losing money on the whole thing and charge a minimal fee of $10. After that the government makes a little profit and see the potential for more profit and charge $30-$50. The government is now happy and in the money, but the residents around the lake find that the huts don't look nice from the deck. The home owners in an effort to get the huts removed lobby the government to raise the fees to $200-$500. And so on, and so on.

Best bet is if you have a hut find out who owns the huts around you. If they don't remove the huts report them and they will be charged for the removal.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM

why not just make it so any one that leave there ice hut on any lake thay have to have name, address, phone #.in sask thay have to or at lest thay did.
just my thout on this.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKMASTER7MMMAG. View Post
it should say "through the ice" on the poll not "th"
Spell check OFF
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM

1. Is this really a big problem?

2. If it is, maybe folks shouldn't be able to leave structures in a public area for months. Can you store your boat trailer in a public parking area at the boat ramp for months? Use an icefishing tent, take it down when you leave. Just a thought....
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
1. Is this really a big problem?

2. If it is, maybe folks shouldn't be able to leave structures in a public area for months. Can you store your boat trailer in a public parking area at the boat ramp for months? Use an icefishing tent, take it down when you leave. Just a thought....
No but you can leave your boat moored off shore............

Sorry answered 2 first

! YES
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
I agree with the registration of the ice huts, but one thing always leads to another.

Starts out as a free registration, then the governments sees that they are losing money on the whole thing and charge a minimal fee of $10. After that the government makes a little profit and see the potential for more profit and charge $30-$50. The government is now happy and in the money, but the residents around the lake find that the huts don't look nice from the deck. The home owners in an effort to get the huts removed lobby the government to raise the fees to $200-$500. And so on, and so on.

Best bet is if you have a hut find out who owns the huts around you. If they don't remove the huts report them and they will be charged for the removal.
The government wouldn't lose money with a registration, they would save money with one by knowing who owns the shack and charging them for the cost for removal. Right now they have to remove them with no way of knowing who they belong to and they can't charge anyone for doing it. There'd be more money to put towards other things.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
No but you can leave your boat moored off shore............

Sorry answered 2 first

! YES
Arrrrggghhhhh Threre's always one in the crowd.... LOL
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Will all the great portable huts there should be a law that you are not allowed to have them big perminat shacks for ice fishing anymore
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_hunter View Post
Will all the great portable huts there should be a law that you are not allowed to have them big perminat shacks for ice fishing anymore
classic case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.

i agree with a label required on the shack with information to who owns it...much like a bear bait.

dont ban them cause a few misuse them....thats the wrong direction all together and a VERY slippery slope....maybe we can ban plastic baits as well....and live bait...what about fishing line as it may break and leave strands in the water that could tangle a baby duck?

ban everything! ban ban ban!

FWIW....i dont use a shack...i like to move around and use a portable tent....but i know a few locals around home that have shacks out and have put them out every year as long as i can remember....now a few of their sons continue to put them out and bring their kids to fish out of them...Hate to see these guys lose their right because somebody did something stupid and an uppity do gooder decided a new law was needed.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_hunter View Post
Some of those shacks are pretty comfortable.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Cool

yep a few s heads wreck it for every one, I would guess that the community of permanent shacks would police them selves. seeing how they have the most to lose.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

who posted no and why?##@!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM

BrainTan, leeaspell, SCRUB, just curious why you voted NO?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

why did u vote "no"
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Default I voted no

I don't like the way the province has regulated other aspects of fishing (slot limits, walleye tags, closed waters etc) and I don't have faith in them to do a good job regulating ice huts. There I said it. Cars going through the ice are far more environmentally damaging than someone's old ice hut (not that they should be leaving them out there either). Good poll, good topic but if we want MORE regulation and legislation something else like proper fish handling or ice safety in vehicles would be better.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
BrainTan, leeaspell, SCRUB, just curious why you voted NO?
is there no privacy on here? polls are ussually discreet. just sayin.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
*******, *******, *****, just curious why you voted NO?
Rocky, I think that you may have spilled the beans. The poll is anonymous for us.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
is there no privacy on here? polls are ussually discreet. just sayin.
I think that it was accidental.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that it was accidental.
figured so, hope so.