Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Really folks were going to do this again

you dont like the topic, move on. have value to add or wish to contribute, please do. have nothing of value to contribute and decide to post, spin the dice. no more warnings offered folks, getting tiresome already. no threats, just a fact
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post

you dont like the topic, move on. have value to add or wish to contribute, please do. have nothing of value to contribute and decide to post, spin the dice. no more warnings offered folks, getting tiresome already. no threats, just a fact
Sorry shooter but if they call me an ass I don't back down and never will No threat just fact
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Did Marty McSorley join AO ?....not sure anyone has as many suspensions as him.....well maybe one guy

(Sorry I had to......)

LC
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Did Marty McSorley join AO ?....not sure anyone has as many suspensions as him.....well maybe one guy

(Sorry I had to......)

LC
It's because people don't like he truth sometimes. Besides, everyone knows Marty provided a valuable role was Semenko was done.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

I bonk most legal fish with in my limit .

if I catch an illegal fish , too small , bull trout , etc , I handle the fish with the utmost of care and do'nt take it out of the water for a grip and grin. ( i don't really take any pic' s)

I like to look at the pic 's , but don t get all miffed if someone calls you out for improper handling with a specie you HAVE to release . Laying it in the grass , gravel, mud , snow , gill hold, all because you wanna take a crappy pic to show off is unacceptable !

hats off for those of you that display proper fish handling , holding fish over the water for a quick pic if you must .
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude17 View Post
Straight from the horses a**
Once again, no threats just fact . Thanks for the post, its always nice to see someone concerned about fish handling, regardless of the loud mouths who think they own this forum.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 AM

Interesting read, thanks for posting!

Strange that some were offended. There are some REALLY sensitive people around here.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
It amazes me it's always the one that have posted no pics or even posted a fishing thread or post. That whine the most about the guys that do. Maybe a little more fishing and a few fish post and people will take you serious. Untill then you got nothing I want to hear.
....and it amazes me how some people seem to think that high post counts and the size of their photobucket album is some kind of validation of outdoors experience?Some of us " lurkers" actually get out there to fish and/or hunt as opposed to just being glued to a keyboard typing about it all the time,yet apparently unless you have a 4 figure+ forum post count,you couldn't possibly have anything of value to add,know anything worth repeating nor be taken seriously,and obviously must have very little outdoor experience.Wutever.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
...... regardless of the loud mouths who think they own this forum.
......hehehe
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredneck View Post
This is a simply a reminder of the proper way to handle a fish which is to be released.
I'm sure even the most experienced fisherman still has room for improvement IF he/she is open to new information.
Fish are too valuable to be caught only once.

**Please note the "Handle with Care" section**

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...hHandling.aspx
Really..With all the crap that went on the other post and was closed by the mods, you want to open this can of worms again. Stop beating this and move on
Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Really..With all the crap that went on the other post and was closed by the mods, you want to open this can of worms again. Stop beating this and move on
It wasn't the post that caused the mods to close it.....it was the the "postees"....

LC
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It wasn't the post that caused the mods to close it.....it was the the "postees"....

LC
True
That is what I meant
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post

On a board this size there are a wide range of folks from new to veteran. It is always important to set an example about the benefit to doing things right. We anglers are the real custodians of the resource and we should as a lobby group be setting the heights high and trying to improve not on in catching fish but also in handling fish we are not retaining.

By our own behavoir we can lead by example or give a wrong impression to new fishermen just by the way we disrespect each other on the board as well as how we disrespect the fish we love through either not learning to release them properly or by giving the impression to others it is not important.

I know how to catch and release and I don't presume you were targetting me with the post.

Keep setting the bar high.

Cheers

Sun
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
heres a link for safe handling of catfish. may pertain to pike too, I dont know. ask one of the new guys they have all the answers
http://www.catfishingtipstoday.com/catfish-noodling/
Last fall I had to grab a 17lb pike that flopped out of a shallow net...does that count as noodling?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Don't sweat the disheartening comments Shredneck, thanks for the reminder on handling fish. Everyone could use a good refresher.

Unfortunately, it's almost always the people that are making the most mistakes that are the ones that don't think they need to fix anything.

Perhaps guys like WayneChristie and Horsetrader that have nothing useful to add to this thread have just licked the powerbait off of their fingers one too many times? It does say, "not for human consumption" on the label, but whatever, they're experts, who am I to suggest something to them?

Perhaps it's just the powerbait talking?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM

I don't know what the budget of Alberta Outdoorsmen is, but maybe we should look into getting Dr. Phil to mod the fishing forum.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Last fall I had to grab a 17lb pike that flopped out of a shallow net...does that count as noodling?
Noodling pike....I would pay top dollar to see that
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Cool

I hate being told what to do when it comes to fishing but not so much as to close my mind to good ideas and info. Informative read!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Perhaps there is an oppportunity for the forum to impose rules on posting pics. Many other fishing forums have rules on what can and can't be posted.

These rules have items like;

no fish on the ground. (dry ground removes protective slime and can damage scales)

No excesive bleeders

No fingers in gills

No sqeezing.

Rules like these help because those that will post pics with infractions soon learn what is acceptable and what isn't hopefully educating and conditioning them into more appropiate fish handling techniques.

Good on you Shredneck
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Default Hey Guys

I used to be a lurker but just joined today so I can contribute and chat with others.

I am one that does not agree with fingers in the gills and the whole "bull trout are mouth bleeders" deal.

The OP just made a post to help or remind everyone how to handle the fish that give us such enjoyment.

Another thing, are we in kindergarten? Iv heard enough of the "I post pics and don't believe you if you don't" crew. I fish alone 95% of the time, I am more focused on catching and releasing the fish without adding the added stress of fumbling around with a camera just to take a picture. Now, I do take pictures when I have a friend with me and in all my pictures there is no blood and I NEVER hold a fish by the gills.

Lets just try and keep the battles through pm and act like grownups.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Well im bored and have nothing better to do, other wise this isnt worth my time.

I posted we had to pop the jaws on the fish. The 2 fish had ground down on the front jig hook so that first penetratation had pierced the tongue bridge, then the hook, lock jawwed them by piercing the roof of the mouth to the bend. In that case the jaws of life cant open their mouths and pulling on the line will only brain the fish. So get ready ALL YOU CRITICS AND ARM CHAIR WANNABEES. My fishing partner opens up the gill flap to allow me to extract the hook via the gill opening with forceps.On larger fish a pair of wire cutters can snip the hook but getting sidecutters into the gill opening on smaller fish puts too much contact onto the gills. Sadly this cant be done if the fish lays on the ice as it will not calm down, niether does the upside down trick. When the fish is calm the extraction can be done carefully without damaging the gills in a very short time. Yes there is 2 options...1- cut the line and hope a jaw locked fish survives...2- do as ive choosen to do, as i feel a jaw locked fish has little chance of survival. Ive done this many times on crankbait hooked bulls that were tagged and have proof it has success.
This trip was some what different as ive never seen them hit so hard and so often, i stopped counting at 20 landed fish. The stingers came off early. We released as many as possible without even touching the fish. Do I care if anybody believes me how they mouth bleed in this lake-- lol not in the least.
In fact we left early as we had our share of fun and didnt want to deal with any more jaw locked fish.
Im at the tying bench now designing a new jig with a tighter gap to try prevent the issue from happening anymore.

Call me what you want. The fact remains I hold little value in arm chair critics who lack the experience of even being there.

Have a great fishing season
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Chub nobody in this thread accused you of anything or called you anything. Labelling people armchair critics isn't helping your cause and if you really don't care about other's opinions, why respond at all? You're just fueling the fire.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Chub nobody in this thread accused you of anything or called you anything. Labelling people armchair critics isn't helping your cause and if you really don't care about other's opinions, why respond at all? You're just fueling the fire.
This thread was born from my thread, dont need CSI to compute that. Fair enough, like i said i had nothing better to do. Your right i wont respond anymore. Good constructive critisim.. thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
This thread was born from my thread, dont need CSI to compute that. Fair enough, like i said i had nothing better to do. Your right i wont respond anymore. Good constructive critisim.. thanks
No problem
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM

come on people lets all relax and take a deep breath. i enjoyed the article alot and it was knowledgeable. wayne christie,horsetrader and especially chubbdarter are very good anglers and knowledgeable people that share alot off info....now as far as chubbs is concerned hes a stand up guy and does alot for AO and its members.txs for the pics chubbs i no what your saying.

Its all good and fun to argue a little bit but to knock a guy down and then kick him in the teeth thats not right.

AO is changing alot and hate to say not for the better.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post

perhaps a probationary period is in order of 1 year. 3 strikes within a year and your bye bye........( I wouldnt have made the cut..... lol.)
Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
I agree that the fishing section has changed but I don't think that it's all bad. It all depends on who is doing the posting and how many posters add the x2, x3, etc and how many people will allow themselves to be intimidated by it. When I started frequenting this section a couple of years ago it seemed to me like people wouldn't mention anything about keeping a fish to eat for fear of being called a fish killer who goes around bonking fish. The pendulum seemed that it had swung all of the way to one side, that being C&R.

If someone posted a picture that indicated that something was improper then everyone agreed on it and there was no conflict. Now, not so much. My perception of the posts now is that there is more of a balance of opinions in the fishing section. With that comes more disagreements.......whattayagonnado?

Anyone else that's been reading the threads for a couple of years see what I described or am I just out to lunch?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Chubbdarter, no one is calling you anything, but you are correct in assuming this thread spawned from your thread although probably not in the way that you think. The astonishing part of your thread to me was the overwhelming amount of defensive responses. The "don't tell me what to do, I'm an expert" type responses. I don't believe that you or anyone else should be attacked for sharing his angling experience, that's what these forums are all about....sharing experience, knowledge, ideas, etc. As you stated, you don't care if anyone believes you but I believe you did what you had to do with fish's best interest in mind which is in fact the whole point of proper fish handling....doing whats best for the fish.
So this thread was inspired by your thread but not aimed at you personally, it was aimed at anyone who has outdated fish handling skills. I know a lot of things have changed since my dad taught me to literally throw the fish back. It shouldn't be so offensive to offer some information from a governing body of our natural resource. These tips are meant to improve our fisheries therefore improve our fishing, which is what we all love to do and the reason we are on this forum in the first place.

Thanks for the positive responses, and honestly I don't see how anyone can be offended by this thread.

Happy Angling
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM

^^^^^

Well said.....

People need to stop MAKING personal attacks and stop TAKING everything as a personal attack....

LC
Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
perhaps a probationary period is in order of 1 year. 3 strikes within a year and your bye bye........( I wouldnt have made the cut..... lol.)
guilty, I think? year seems a bit harsh. but sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
guilty, I think? year seems a bit harsh. but sure.
ok....... 3 months or something......