Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Awesome pics!!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Some great looking shots Wayne. Thanx for posting.
stan
Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Great pics Wayne. Wonder if someone has ever had a rod come out of a holder and go down a hole. I know a few people it's happened to.

I have to admit..It happened at newell last month...Never did I think my rod would go down the hole. Did not have a back up so I drove into Brooks quick and bought a new one and back out..Learned a valueable lesson
Somewhere a 20lber is swimming around with my rod...LOL. I am going to try to steal it back this weekend..HAHA!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM

great pictures Wayne.. Never thought there were mink in this area...Learn something new everyday...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
great pictures Wayne.. Never thought there were mink in this area...Learn something new everyday...
I see quite a few in the summer, especially if someone cleans a fish and leaves the guts. see quite a few beavers too, unfortunately the furbearing kind

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
Just a heads up to the guys talking about rod holders...wayne has one like this...it locks into place if a fish hits it and prevents it from going down the hole.

the ones like these...

are junk and will eventually get pulled down the hole by a fish (as other posters have already mentioned!)
I like the rodlockers very much, I just believe in overkill and like to use an anchor with mine, just in case. same reason I drill double holes, just in case, learned my lesson the hard way. Ken I hate those other holders, even if the fish cant get them its a beach trying to get the rod out when theres a nice fish at the bait. not a big fan of fighting a fish with a rod holder in my hand.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Default It is the setup

I use them because my spin caster and reel doesnt sit as well in the other holder. I have bent my spot where the handle fits in so I can grab it out in a second . I will show you Saturday.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Wicked pics Wayne, love the mink!

As for the tipup/rod debate, both have their place, but more often than not I gravitate to using rods. For holders I've got one of the ones that screw in to the ice and if I have a second rod going I use my drill to make a hole in the ice and then use one of my summer rod holders. Works just as well as when I have it stuck in the river bank during open water

I haven't lost a rod yet, but I did have a couple close calls last year with that cheap red holder...had to go elbow deep to save it one time

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Gone Hunting

LOL why mount them to anything? The bail should be open on a reel or it will end up down a hole LOL. Slip bobbers work,, counter weight it out with split shot so bobber is nearly neutral bouyant. Fish hits and can go with little to no resistance, pick up rod, close bail and drive er home. Surprised at how many guys loose rods down holes and cannot make simple setup impovision LOLOL

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
LOL why mount them to anything? The bail should be open on a reel or it will end up down a hole LOL. Slip bobbers work,, counter weight it out with split shot so bobber is nearly neutral bouyant. Fish hits and can go with little to no resistance, pick up rod, close bail and drive er home. Surprised at how many guys loose rods down holes and cannot make simple setup impovision LOLOL
thanks for the tips. I like to use my baitcasters usually, so the fish can run until I trip it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I do keep my bail open, and like Wayne have moved over to using a baitcaster setup so it's easier to leave the bail open with the clicker on.

That being said, I've had the bail on a spinning reel somehow snap shut on its own at a very inopportune time (while I was fighting a fish on the other rod) and the rod bent in half with the tip down into the water and started pulling against the drag before I was able to reach down and pop it back open. If it wasn't in a solid rod holder it would have been gone for sure.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams