Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Tobin lake

Has anyone here been to tobin recently. I am heading there Thursday and would like to know if I need to bring my snowmobile or can a person drive around. All input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 AM

Watch the forecast. Dad says they are supposed to get 10-20 cm.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Im working just south of Tobin right now and the weather is ugly. There was enough snow up there a few weeks ago to make driving off the plowed areas difficult, so I would take the sled.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Working just south of Tobin , 10 inch auger , ?????? Sounds like I need a new job.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Saskatchewan is getting hammered with snow today just like Alberta did yesterday. Better bring the sled.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Just talked to dad , no snow yet but lots of wind.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 PM

I was there a couple weekends ago. Easy to get around this year. We got lots of snow south of there east of saskatoon with lots blowing too, not sure up there. Fishing has been slow but can be good if you know where to go and have some patience.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Default Tobin Lake

Hello everyone,

I am a new member of outdoorsmen forum. This is a terrific site. I was wondering if anyone has being to Tobin Lake recently. I have never being and looking forward to heading that way on Thursday. Where is the flats located and how do you get there? I have talked with cabin owner today and he said not much for snow? Anyone know the thickness of the ice?

I appreciate any help
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellsy View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a new member of outdoorsmen forum. This is a terrific site. I was wondering if anyone has being to Tobin Lake recently. I have never being and looking forward to heading that way on Thursday. Where is the flats located and how do you get there? I have talked with cabin owner today and he said not much for snow? Anyone know the thickness of the ice?

I appreciate any help
the flats are located at the very end of tobin lake, (west end). you get on the flats on the south end of the lake, not sure of the gravel road you take to it thou. My bro always drives and i follow. lol. Ice is plenty thick. you shouldn't need an extension for your auger, but if you got it, dosn't hurt to take it. As for snow, there was enough 2 weeks ago that if you didn't have chains, you would get stuck if you made your own path. so bring a shovel. A good 4X4 should be fine thou.
Here is how we did 2 weeks ago. Weather was awesome when we were out and we were able to cook deer sausage and potatoes on the tailgate and run to our flags, while drinking a cold one.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123826
Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellsy View Post
Hello everyone,

I appreciate any help
The Flats would be the most eastern and largest section of the lake. Are you staying at the resort? The owners there should give you some directions on how to get there. Access to the Flats. I would bring the extension if I were you with the combination of thick ice and a decent amount of snow.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM

Sorry As big schnizz said, the east end. lol. My compass is all screwed up. hahaha.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Thanks for your help fishinggeek. As a rookie to Tobin this is alot of help. Beautiful pics and nice work on the catch and release, and also very slick live well. I might have to borrow that idea. I am staying out at Macsweenys cabins????? Doint know if this sounds familiar
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Schnizz View Post
The Flats would be the most eastern and largest section of the lake. Are you staying at the resort? The owners there should give you some directions on how to get there. Access to the Flats. I would bring the extension if I were you with the combination of thick ice and a decent amount of snow.
Big schnizz thanks for everything that is fantastic. You might have saved alot of bs and driving in circles. How far of a drive from the town tobin lake??? ever heard of macsweenys cabins??
Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Those cabins are in town ( Nipawin) near the regional park. From there you are an hour to the flats if roads are good.