Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
This will be my third year using this setup for ice fishing. The floor is 5/8” plywood screwed to 2*4 sleepers with 1” polystyrene insulation and glued linoleum with door hinges used to keep it all tight. The floor goes on top of 2*3 sleepers that are separate and held in there pattern by a ratchet strap band, you lay these down first to mark your holes, after drilling and shoveling you put the sleepers down and then the tent floor on top (they are cheap insurance against the floor freezing to the ice in case of bad flood water overnight). The tent skirt anchor holes are attached to the floor with machine star bolts and then a rope with a binder keeps the skirt cinched tight around the floor. I run a big buddy heater and a Milwaukee 18V fan in the tent and within 20 minutes of set up you can be fishing in your socks.
The tent is the 6*12 insulated tent from Cabellas. I also set up a Eskimo 949i with a two burner camp chef for cooking, this tent also serves as spot to use the poop bucket as well.
The main tent sleeps 2 people well, 3 is doable and 4 is really tight but possible (all on army cots). All five holes are catch cover holes with sleeves right down to the ice and two of them are late night fishable even with three cots set up. The cots get stored in the Eskimo during the day and we sit on the hard back Costco camping chairs during the day.
This setup is heavy and a bit of work to set up, if or should I say when I build my next setup I think I will use 3/8” plywood with 3/4” plywood strips for sleepers and 1/2” foam on top of 2*3 sleepers to cut down on the weight.
I cannot adequately explain how nice it is to be on a warm dry floor fishing 3” off the ice 4 hrs from home, sipping a whiskey and catching walleye at midnight in -30 conditions wearing pajamas, it’s as close to heaven as I think I will get to in this lifetime.
I’m building almost this exact set up! My floor is going to be fixed 6 ft down the middle with 2 folding wings on hinges to make a 14 x9 base for the new otter monster lodge. 1\2 inch plywood top and bottom with 1 inch strapping and insulation with 3 2x6 skis built into the floor to be able to pull it set up with the tent on it behind a side x side. It will store on the trailer with the side x side parked on top. I just built a diesel heater box that sits outside and connects to the propane ports on the tent. And a bluetti 2048 wh solar generator with a 2500 watt backup champion inverter generator and 2 back up big buddy flex heaters. When I go it’s for 3-4 days so worth the set up and back up equipment.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I don't know enough about generators but my concern has always been the noise. Fish are so sensitive to any kind of noise from above, and I always figure the generator would spook 'em real good.... but are there generators that are next to silent? That might work...
I’ve fished with a generator running all day and night at slave and can say it doesn’t seem to scare the fish. We’ve caught during the day and night when it running. It’s a Honda 2000. Also fishing in 28ft of water. Also seen guys run the generator in the back of there truck to keep the sound and vibration off ice.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I don't think Clayton has the best setup, but then he needs to accommodate a pile of camera gear. You can research setups 'til the cows come home, starting with this thread you bumped last year. While there's more than one way to do it, there is a pretty standard setup depending on whether you use bunks or just cots. Here's a couple of pics of my solo setup in my Resort (the rod case fits under the Disc-O-Bed. I'll probably solo in the Monster Lodge at least once this season...at a lake where I can use my sled/Ranger to haul it out.

If you don't mind me asking, what lights are you using in your tent? Those look great. Thanks
Old 11-29-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what lights are you using in your tent? Those look great. Thanks
I use Otter Lights in the Resort...one on each roof pole...six lights/three kits in total.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Eskimos have always been notorious for their undersized bags. They may have fixed it recently (I doubt it) but many a stiff, frosty Eskimo has been packed off the ice out of it's bag over the years, including my two year old 9416i more than once.

You'll think your Eskimo is fine until you get an Otter.
I spent many a time wrestling t get the Eskimo tent in the bag. No fun at all.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:24 PM

in our hub, we these dual purpose ligh/fan units. They're like an LED circle that has a small fan in the middle. We hang one at each end, and then we have these small battery operated LED "lanterns" that we bought at Canadian Tire for like 5 bucks each and those have been pretty good, too. I personally like as much light as possible in there.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:58 PM

I have been using the LED lanterns as well but it would be nice to go to a USB style and just connect them to my Norsk Lithium battery.