Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Default Did you ever enjoy Tonquin Valley / Amethyst Lake? I'm glad I did...opportunities are now gone.

https://jasperlocal.com/peaks-and-va...Wt0vHG9RqGXk6w

As a teacher, I am constantly preaching to students about connection to nature, wild places, conservation, and preservation. About the importance of science, the collection of data, and protecting fragile ecosystems and species at risk.

So, of course, yet reluctantly and with mixed feelings, I am board with this decision; with the caveat that it is a scientifically sound one. If the wolves are using human tracks (ski and snowmobile) as an advantage to hunt caribou, then, I can see the reason behind the policy. Assume for the moment, the decision is a sound one (and that IS a big assumption when it comes to the history of Parks Canada's policy decisions)

But as the article points out (and, to be sure, it has a slant and a bias) the picture is always more complicated.

Regardless, with extreme reluctance, one has to consider what measures - even drastic ones - are needed to protect wildlife.

And so now, a near 100 year old tradition of horseback riding and outfitting has vanished, likely for good.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you ever go to Tonquin valley? I did once, with my dad. Probably some 20 years ago. Didn't catch many fish, but dad did catch his largest ever rainbow. Wish I had a better pic of it.

I have been planning to return, to see the majestic Ramparts, and fish the clear waters of Amethyst lake for its rainbows and brookies, but alas, like my planned trip into Marvel Lake, I waited to long. Now Marvel is closed, and Amethyst - without the horse outfitters - is now largely unaccessible to me and dad. Oh....don't get me wrong...you'll still be able to hike and book backcountry sites, but that's non-discussion with my 85 year old dad and my bad back. lol. Parks Canada has little thought for ableist policies when wildlife populations are at risk. I get it.

What are your favourite memories of Tonquin Valley?

I'll miss it; and so I am glad I went.

-Smitty
Old 10-11-2022, 05:01 PM

Thanks Smitty.

I have never been. Looks incredible just based on the pictures in the article alone. I can imagine how awe inspiring and memory lasting an actual trek in and out to that valley could be...

I'm sure it will be said by many but that elimination horse packing with the few trips quoted is unlikely to change anything. Sounds like the caribou breeding program, if successful, could make the biggest difference.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:48 PM

Thanks for sharing, interesting article. I don't mean to start anything here, but honestly as a backpacker I won't miss the horse ***** scattered on the trail. It's a beautiful trail, I was o it 3 years ago, and will return.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:57 PM

Default Tonquin Valley

The wife and I were fortunate to experience Tonquin Valley pack trips twice with Wald Olson in the late 90’s. Both trips were an awesome experience. The scenery was breathtaking. Wald and his family made the trips an experience of a lifetime. His “cowboy” knowledge was second to none. Trips were well organized, horses were first rate, cabins were rustic and cozy, and the food was excellent.

The fishing for big rainbows was second to none. They hit like a freight train and fought fiercely in the frigid cold water. We always kept some for dinner which were prepared deliciously by Waldo’s daughter. Unfortunately, weren’t able to tie into Amerhyst’s elusive brookies.

Even back then… Wald talked about his battles with parks Canada and the idealist environmentalists. Wald ran a tight outfit, and always respected the environment. A large herd of caribou could often be seen grazing by the lake just before dark. Hope the herd survives and flourishes in the future. Otherwise, the closure will be just another failure.

Such great memories….. sad to see the Tonquin Valley closed to outfitters(:
Old 10-12-2022, 02:08 PM

I have been many times. One of the best advantages was being able to use a boat. My last trip was 2 years ago. I hope to get back one more time but you are right it is a long hike with a back pack and no boat. PARKS messed this up on so many levels. Check out the Jasper local for all the details.

As for Marvel that is another PARKS mess. I still dispute that those are even pure strain cuttie although they now want to argue they are .and by the way birds can transport whirling disease.