Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2022, 09:25 AM

Default Ice shack built on trailer frame?

Hi everyone,

In the process of tearing up a trailer and thinking about building an ice shack on the trailer. Not sure if this is a good idea or if I’m better off just rebuilding the trailer and loading a shack onto it instead. One of my concerns would be the shack sitting to high off the ice if built on it.

Curious if anyones built an ice shack on a trailer frame? If so, any tips/suggestions? Did you have a wood stove inside?
If keeping on the ice for the season, do you set the tires on something so that it isn’t sitting directly on the ice.

I’ve searched some info online but would like some locals experience if possible.
Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2022, 09:36 AM

My fishing partner did that a few years ago. Built a wood floor and used old insulated garage door panels for walls and roof. Add some windows, small wood stove, lights, benches and works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10 View Post
Hi everyone,

In the process of tearing up a trailer and thinking about building an ice shack on the trailer. Not sure if this is a good idea or if I’m better off just rebuilding the trailer and loading a shack onto it instead. One of my concerns would be the shack sitting to high off the ice if built on it.

Curious if anyones built an ice shack on a trailer frame? If so, any tips/suggestions? Did you have a wood stove inside?
If keeping on the ice for the season, do you set the tires on something so that it isn’t sitting directly on the ice.

I’ve searched some info online but would like some locals experience if possible.
Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2022, 09:22 AM

I turned an old 14 ft enclosed work trailer into a shack, worked great for me. I remove the tires if i want it a little closer to the ice.

I use a cheap chinese diesel heater and it works great. Had wood stoves in previous ones and will never go back.

I built from the frame up and insulated everything including the floor. Hole sleeves are required to keep cold air from coming up and your holes freezing.

PM if you have any questions, this one worked out so well, I will be selling it to make a bigger one.

Interior shot, before holes were put in the floor.

Last edited by fishn_palmer; 10-24-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:32 AM

Do you drill the ice holes from inside the trailer or drill first and drag the trailer over the holes?
Old 10-24-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Do you drill the ice holes from inside the trailer or drill first and drag the trailer over the holes?
I drill them from the inside. An extension becomes a must early in the season though due to the extra height of the trailer.

It is next to impossible to drill outside and pull trailer over top, if you want them to line up perfectly.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:45 AM

We have drilled both ways. We have got better at drilling first and driving back over but sometimes we drill fist and just leave the door open for a bit and de gas the place. Hoping to go to electric drill/auger this season so that may not be an issue any longer.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:04 PM

This shack was initially built on a 6.5×10' utility trailer (sorry no before pics). We took the axle off and built an aluminum skid...redid the inside and gave it a fresh coat of paint. 2x4 frame insulated...wired for 12v with solar panels on the roof that flip up....perfect for 2 people.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2022, 02:03 PM
Banned

Wow great looking shacks a lot of thought went into them .
Old 10-28-2022, 10:49 PM

Very cool! I’ve seen the ice castles before in the Midwest but honestly building one yourself doesn’t look that hard if your a little handy plus you get the satisfaction from your own work. I always wanted one but my lake has so much over flow anything left out over night ends up froze solid. We always end up with several pop up shelters froze in 4-6” of ice each year. People destroy them trying to get them free.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:48 AM

Old truck camper on a flat deck. Metal clad insulation all around. Finished with barn wood and roof and walk out porch. Bunk is for gear and sleeping. Used an Amazon kerosene heater 23000 btu. Super toasty. The trailer is 18 inches off the ice, I use the catch over sleeves. When landing a fish the jaw grabbers come in super handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk