Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2022, 12:11 PM

Default School me on electric augers

I spent last season using an auger in my Milwaukee drill. Worked pretty good, but I've wrecked my drill now and looking to upgrade

I'm eyeing up an Ion. Don't really know much about them, so I'm hoping someone can weigh in with their experience?
Old 10-29-2022, 12:24 PM

Which drill model # did you wreck? Only spwcific models should be used and which leg did you use? Different blade types cut different as well. There is a new Ion just out that is supposedly pretty nive and the Strikemaster is raved by most that own them.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:27 PM

I have a 10" Ion, used it for one season. I'm not nearly as heavy a user as some here but it's been great. My wife was pregnant last season and she had no problems handling it and drilling multiple holes in a day.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:16 PM

Strike Master.

You will never go wrong. Depends how much fishn you do. If you are only chasing big pike ect maybe a 10" is good but they are a fair amount heavier than a 8"

I have not yet caught a fish that I couldn't get through an 8" hole. That being said I sure hope that day comes some time.

I have the Strike Master 24V 8 inch. It is light and drills over 30 holes on a single charge. Most I have drilled in a day is around 2 0 but the Calgary fishn hole took one out to Eagle Lake and drilled 30 before it started to peter out. BTW they were all around 24 inch holes.

What sold me on the 24volt was I am a huge fan of Strike Master having owned a few gas ones and I saw an older guy like myself using one last winter and he was kind enough to let me try it out. Sold me and I picked one up at fishn hole next day.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:55 PM

Most everything in this post I made last year still applies. I don't think StrikeMaster has changed anything this season. Ion has discontinued all their old models and replaced them with the new Alpha and Alpha Plus models. There isn't a lot of info out on them yet, but I can't see them not being strong in the market. Any G2 is a great auger if you find one used, as it was the best of the best last season. The R1 from last season was also a good auger, but earlier ones were not as good.

The 24V StrikeMaster is a good option if you are sure you aren't drilling too many holes...it's lighter and cheaper than the 40V units. But if was to have only one auger, it would be a 40V and know it's gonna get me through the day. I'd also get a 10" for sure if I knew I wasn't going ice trolling and punching a lot of holes.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:56 PM

Default Auger

I have a 10 inch Ion. Have had it for 5 years. No issues. I absolutely love it and would never consider going to a 8 inch because I sight fish mostly. No fumes, quiet and lite.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:31 PM

So, basically all votes are for Strikemaster or Ion. Safe to say they're both pretty much on point with each other? I would probably go a 40V in 10inch because....why not?

Any input on getting an extra battery or 2 for either one?
Old 10-29-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Most everything in this post I made last year still applies. I don't think StrikeMaster has changed anything this season. Ion has discontinued all their old models and replaced them with the new Alpha and Alpha Plus models. There isn't a lot of info out on them yet, but I can't see them not being strong in the market. Any G2 is a great auger if you find one used, as it was the best of the best last season. The R1 from last season was also a good auger, but earlier ones were not as good.

The 24V StrikeMaster is a good option if you are sure you aren't drilling too many holes...it's lighter and cheaper than the 40V units. But if was to have only one auger, it would be a 40V and know it's gonna get me through the day. I'd also get a 10" for sure if I knew I wasn't going ice trolling and punching a lot of holes.
Just read that post. Very informative. I'll probably just wait for either one to go on sale and pull the trigger

Thanks everyone for the input
Old 10-29-2022, 06:58 PM

I think the StrikeMaster with the steel flite has already been on sale at Cabela's this year.

Just stay away from Jiffy and you're good to go. If it's yellow let it mellow...on the shelf at the retailer.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I think the StrikeMaster with the steel flite has already been on sale at Cabela's this year.

Just stay away from Jiffy and you're good to go. If it's yellow let it mellow...on the shelf at the retailer.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:01 AM

SM 40V gets my vote. I have the 10 inch but not because of size of fish but for viewability as I do a lot of sight fishing for fish like whitefish.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:39 AM

I was going to stay with Jiffy after owning several gas and propane versions but I couldnt get any feedback on their electric so I grabbed a strikemaster and Ive been very happy with it.
hole size, I had a white lightning model in 9 inch, and it cost me a fish or two so I went full 10 with my propane. I like to sightfish as well, and most places I ice fish have pike too big for a small hole if Im so lucky. I dont go fishing for exercise, I prefer to set up in the right location and be comfortable while Im waiting for Moby to show up. probably cut less than 7 or 8 holes an outing so the weight savings is huge for me, especially early season when its all carry and drag out the gear, this old man likes it easy nowadays that 65 pound propane is just a lot of extra weight.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2022, 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the input
Old 10-30-2022, 06:32 PM

Just remember for electrics that 1 downside is the chipper blade types. Jiffy and K Drill as examples. They are much harder on batteries. Saying that if you drill in sandy/dirty ice the blades are better.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:20 PM

So we just bought the new SM40v "Lite" with the composite flite instead of steel. Anyone have experience with this? I love how light it is, but am curious about the composite breaking in the cold. Just thought I'd check and see what folks thought. Thanks in advance!

*edit*

Also are the blades good to go right outta the box or should I take them in to get sharpened before I use them for the first time?

This is again!
Old 10-30-2022, 08:45 PM

It's a great auger and the composite will never give you any problems. You shouldn't touch the blades...they are good to go right out of the box and will never cut better than when brand new.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
It's a great auger and the composite will never give you any problems. You shouldn't touch the blades...they are good to go right out of the box and will never cut better than when brand new.
Woo hoo! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks a million!