Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2022, 11:59 AM

Default auger sharpeners

does anyone know if the strikemaster and Jiffy blades are the same angle? I have a good Jiffy sharpener but I dont want to ruin the SM blades, they are also serrated
https://scheels.scene7.com/is/image/...hei=500&qlt=60

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-12-2022, 12:05 PM

I can't tell you if they are the same angle or not, but I can tell you that purchasing new blades (even with how ridiculously expensive they are), is more effective than sharpening those StrikeMaster blades. I throw a new pair on every season now, and its well worth the money.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:21 PM

ya I will likely buy another pair but we get so much blown sand on the ice around here blades need to be touched up pretty much constantly. be nice if I could use the ridiculously expensive sharpener to touch up ridiculously expensive blades on the lake

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-12-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
ya I will likely buy another pair but we get so much blown sand on the ice around here blades need to be touched up pretty much constantly. be nice if I could use the ridiculously expensive sharpener to touch up ridiculously expensive blades on the lake
I hear you. I keep a set of "southern Alberta" blades in my box when I head down to your neck of the woods.

Canadian Tire in Brooks had these for sale a year ago when I was down there, its what you're after!

https://www.rapala.ca/ca_en/lazer-de...uger-sharpener
Old 11-13-2022, 09:19 PM

YUP me too - it's really hard to get blades sharpened (so they bite well and last a while) when they have the micro serrations.

I literally can sharpen them so sharp you could shave with them, but without the ability to duplicate the micro serrations - it's good for one trip.

I now just buy a new set a year also.

Way less frustrating.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:37 PM

The strikemaster sharpener works. Doesn’t get them like new but keeps them usable. Bought mine for around 10 bucks off Amazon a couple years ago. Says it’s not for the serrated blades but it works. Hope that helps
Old 11-14-2022, 07:58 AM

Been using the Strike Master for yrs now and no one has been able to sharpen them.

I just wait till the boxing day sale at Fshn hole and buy a spare set. Big bucks but work great till you sand off and bam there goes 80 bucks
Old 11-14-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
YUP me too - it's really hard to get blades sharpened (so they bite well and last a while) when they have the micro serrations.

I literally can sharpen them so sharp you could shave with them, but without the ability to duplicate the micro serrations - it's good for one trip.

I now just buy a new set a year also.

Way less frustrating.
What is a micro serration and which blades have them?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-14-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Been using the Strike Master for yrs now and no one has been able to sharpen them.

I just wait till the boxing day sale at Fshn hole and buy a spare set. Big bucks but work great till you sand off and bam there goes 80 bucks
100 bucks a set now
im going to order a new set then I will see if the Jiffy sharpener will do the job on the original blades. I have one of those plastic things somewhere too maybe my descendants will one day find it among my junk, er, treasures

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-14-2022, 02:55 PM

Default Auger Sharpening Service....

Check out Cameron Tait's 'The Razors Edge'
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcNFJ4iHFdH/?hl=en

Even tho you have to mail them to Winnipeg - Cameron is a pro angler and pro chef - he gets it when it comes to knife and auger sharpening. If you have a few blade sets you can send one or two to Cameron per season....

Great guy....
Old 11-14-2022, 05:48 PM

I have use Carbide saw services in Calgary to sharpen my SM blades for years. Last as long as a new pair IMHO
Old 11-14-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I have use Carbide saw services in Calgary to sharpen my SM blades for years. Last as long as a new pair IMHO
my new blades are new. only a few outings since I bought the auger. unfortunately we get blown sand on the ice a lot here and it burns out a blade very quickly. I found the angle for jiffy blades but not for SM so I dont know if its the same, not likely but you never know. I just ordered a new set then I will try the others with the Jiffy sharpener. either it will work or they will suck, they already suck so Im not losing anything

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-14-2022, 06:55 PM

Gritstone Sharpening in Lloydminster can do a good as new job on the strikemaster blades. You can mail them in to in, fast turnaround.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:35 PM

I had my SM blades sharpened last year. They were too sharp at first and the auger did not pull the way it usually does when cutting. It worked good but turned quicker with the blades making ultra-fine ice shavings compared to the factory edge. After a half dozen outings and a bunch of holes cut they dulled a little and the auger cut and felt like it did with new blades. I have two sets, that way I always have a sharp set. They are not the same radius as the jiffy blades according to my friend who sharpened mine.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Gritstone Sharpening in Lloydminster can do a good as new job on the strikemaster blades. You can mail them in to in, fast turnaround.
Not going to give him my auger blades to do. He did a lousy job of my lawnmower blade and it cut worse after he did it than before it was done.