Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2022, 07:40 PM

Default Anyone fish from shore along the Varadero strip?

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has fished along the strip of land that makes up the Varadero, Cuba hotel road.

Looks like lots of sand and a Little Rock along the ocean side and a green lagoon on the inland side.

Curious if it’s worth fishing along there in the morning before people start flooding to the beach.

Any ideas? Any cheap boat rentals to fish off shore or just in deeper water?

Fly rod or spin casting or both?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-16-2022, 08:34 AM

Default Varadero

I was there a few years ago, there was a lady that lived there that fished off the rocks every morning. She caught a quite a few using chicken sitting on bottom.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:34 AM

The evening works just as well .
Old 11-19-2022, 10:18 AM

From what I have watched, Cayo Coco and Santa Marta are better for shore fishing. But the non stops from calgary to Varadero are more appealing instead of the 12 plus hours needed to connect in toronto for a one week trip. I think you can rent a catameran to get out a little farther. Ladybass, a young woman from Ontario has posted a few Varadero fishing videos on youtube. I would think a spin fishing outfit would be more useful with more distance and cover more water. I was hoping to do a two week trip now but my wife came down with a medical condition so it maybe next year.
I'm sure any fishing efforts will be more enjoyable than ice fishing here.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:48 AM

If you decide on Cayo Coco I found this guy you can contact. Yordan Fg on facebook. He does inshore trips for $230 cdn plus tips as well as shore fishing. You can see these trips on Shaun Rickards youtube channel. These trips seem worthwhile and you could post on trip advisor if your looking for someone to split it with. There is a guy looking to share a trip till Dec 13 right now.
Yorden also does bonefishing trips so you could do both. You would have to confirm the details of transportation as it seems you have to pay a taxi to get everyone around.

Last edited by thedonald; 11-20-2022 at 07:57 AM.