Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 06:56 PM

Smile Streams in the Okanagan

Hey everyone, just moved to Penticton from Calgary and am looking for some advice on streams out here within a 1.5 hour drive (one way). I know that there is a lot of great lake fishing, but I was hoping for a great river/ stream. I went out today hunting for spots and got skunked hard. Not looking for anyone's honey pots, but any advice is very appreciated (flies to use, hatches, stream recommendations, etc.)
Old 03-20-2023, 10:51 PM

Probably a little early for the streams due to snow and ice.
The river/stream that connects Skaha lake to Vaseax lake and then connects to Osoyoos lake might be ok to try. There might even be some bass in the stream/river. I used to fish Bear creek about 8 miles NW of Kelowna for very small trout.

This webpage lists all the fishable streams around Penticton.
https://www.hookandbullet.com/c/fishing-penticton-bc/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM

I would recommend the Similkameen River. Plenty of information on the river, as to access spots and flyfishing (google is your friend).
Old 03-22-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Probably a little early for the streams due to snow and ice.
The river/stream that connects Skaha lake to Vaseax lake and then connects to Osoyoos lake might be ok to try. There might even be some bass in the stream/river. I used to fish Bear creek about 8 miles NW of Kelowna for very small trout.

This webpage lists all the fishable streams around Penticton.
https://www.hookandbullet.com/c/fishing-penticton-bc/

Back in the mid 80's to 90's
I used to often fish right below the dam at Skaha.
Caught some great Rainbows there up to about 8 pounds.
Further down held few trout, mostly bass and other warm water fish.
Recent river reclamation has probably made the trout fishing better.

Similkameen just didn't have many fish in it when I tried. A few small rainbows, a few mountain whitefish. I suspect this River is still effected by all the old gold mines, arsenic leaching. Bug life was minimal.

Had fun in outlet creeks from many local small lakes. Small fish, but so many.

Learning how to fly fish Skaha Lake from a canoe turned into a dream.
So many different techniques were effective and beautiful fish.

For a spell the Kokanee in there were getting Huge, 4-6 pound average.
Catching chrome Kokanee on the fly distracted me from bothering with the creeks very much. Except for the Lagoons in the spring for Crappie.

Best thing about the South OK and flyfishing is that there is an incredible variety of fishing to be had with a little exploring and an open mind.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-22-2023, 11:50 AM

Okanagan River below the Skaha dam. Used to fish at the dam outflow and further down (including below Vaseaux Lake) in the late 60's for nice rainbows. Used a Spruce streamer or a modified Spruce streamer with white marabou wings.

Caveat: Be sure to check the regulations since there now appear to be closures at various times of the year!

The Similkameen River in the Keremeos area can be good for whitefish in March, e.g. right now! If you're not adverse to bait fishing find some hellgramites (sp.?} under the rocks and bounce along the bottom with a bent nail for weight.

Later in the summer the Ashnola River used to have tons of small rainbows eager to take a dry fly.

For lakes don't forget Yellow Lake right beside the highway. Easy access at both ends for nice 'bows.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Back in the mid 80's to 90's
I used to often fish right below the dam at Skaha.
Caught some great Rainbows there up to about 8 pounds.
Further down held few trout, mostly bass and other warm water fish.
Recent river reclamation has probably made the trout fishing better.

Similkameen just didn't have many fish in it when I tried. A few small rainbows, a few mountain whitefish. I suspect this River is still effected by all the old gold mines, arsenic leaching. Bug life was minimal.

Had fun in outlet creeks from many local small lakes. Small fish, but so many.

Learning how to fly fish Skaha Lake from a canoe turned into a dream.
So many different techniques were effective and beautiful fish.

For a spell the Kokanee in there were getting Huge, 4-6 pound average.
Catching chrome Kokanee on the fly distracted me from bothering with the creeks very much. Except for the Lagoons in the spring for Crappie.

Best thing about the South OK and flyfishing is that there is an incredible variety of fishing to be had with a little exploring and an open mind.
I caught a few kokes up to 4lbs in Skaha in 2016. So much fun. Still the odd giant bow in there too.

Tags
okanagan streams, penticon fly fishing