Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Insurance Claim

I was having a conversation with my adjuster today regarding a motor vehicle accident. Just looking for some thoughts on everyone regarding my experience so far. I was t-boned going through a green light. My insurance company has told me I'm at no fault based on the police report and witness statements. Car is going to assessed as a total loss.

1. the accident was a month ago and the car still sits in my driveway. Thoughts?

2. what is a reasonable timeline for me to expect resolution?

3. the adjuster said my insurance is covering everything regardless of fault,
this doesn't seem right. Or is that just how these things are?

4. Anything I need to wary of, or watch for?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:05 PM

What is reasonable can vary widely, in my experience. Who are you insured with? I'm living a 2 year nightmare with Aviva right now, and by their own admission, this is "normal".

I suggest you keep records of every single correspondence and hold their feet to the fire on a regular basis.

I did read that insurance is adopting a no-fault model in Alberta. BS in my opinion. For example, what will happen to your Claims Free Discount now?
Old 07-04-2023, 05:18 PM

Default Could be wrong

With respect to your third question, yes I believe that's how insurance companies are handling claims these days. Not saying I agree with it, but when the change went through (last year IIRC) I called my insurer for an explanation - that's pretty much what he said...your insurer covers your claim regardless of fault.
Old 07-04-2023, 06:52 PM

I had a not at fault accident in 2017. Car was done. Regarding the car I was dealing and negotiating the settlement with the other insurance company. They also covered the chiropractor and massage therapists. My insurance was handling the rental car payments and that’s pretty much it as far as I remember. The other insurance was TD. Car compensation and personal injuries claims were both negotiated with the TD by me personally.
Old 07-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I suggest you keep records of every single correspondence and hold their feet to the fire on a regular basis.

I did read that insurance is adopting a no-fault model in Alberta. BS in my opinion. For example, what will happen to your Claims Free Discount now?
That's sound advice, keep track of dates, time, who you spoke with and a brief footnote about what was said.

When dealing with these crooks I would suggest going one step further yet and downloading a voice recorder app on your cell-tel, I have one on my cell and it's a GREAT way to keep track of EXACTLY what was said.

And agree 100% about this no fault GARBAGE, accidents happen for a reason, cause someone screwed up and likely broke a law and that person and that person alone NEEDS to be held 100% responsible. No fault is TOTAL crap!

OP, a month seems like a bit long in the tooth for an adjuster to come have a look, I'd get on them and start pressing them, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Did they provide you with a loaner?
Old 07-04-2023, 08:59 PM

Default Phone them in the morning.

Tell them to get the heap off of your driveway. Tow lots charge $45 a day to store wrecks. Send them a bill.

Start shopping for your replacement. Tell them you need a cheque.
Remember that you are paying them for a service.

Demand what you have paid for.

Call everyday. Until you get action.

I really hate insurance companies.