Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 09:03 PM

Default This Old House

Though I would share some pictures of old home stead house on our land. I was told it was made by a Hungarian family around 100 years ago. I don’t think anyone has lived in it from the 1940s. Amazing it’s still standing kind of a testament to the hard work and skill it took to make.
https://imgur.com/a/9JYJY7i?s=sms
Old 04-15-2024, 07:58 AM

Cool but sad. Somebody's dream.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:05 AM

Those are the kind of immigrants Canada needs. Hardworking, industrious, do whatever it takes to make a better life for one's self.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:21 AM

Very cool pictures, but it's kinda hard to make out what the walls were made of? They almost look like straw bales covered in some sort of stucco???
Old 04-15-2024, 09:25 AM

Clay and straw mixed together to make the walls. I had a great uncle as kid who told my dad he remember helping to mix it.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:26 AM

The mud / straw plaster was whitewashed with a touch of blue paint back in the day. Under the plaster are logs which were green cut and the mud drew the moisture out of the logs as it dried out.

This typically was the second home for the family. On arrival the homesteaders would either build a sod hut dug into a hill called a "sawdy", or a mud and log home dug into a hill called a "burdae".

Then the family would plant as a big a garden as possible and the men would go work on the railroad construction to fund later projects such as a barn and livestock.

Over 1/2 of the Europeans who came went back after a few years simply because of the reality that there were No Streets of Gold (Myrna Kostach).

Drewski
Old 04-15-2024, 09:34 AM

Over 1/2 of the Europeans who came went back after a few years simply because of the reality that there were No Streets of Gold (Myrna Kostach).

I'm going to dispute that. Other than the British "Upper Crust" on a sojurn to the Colonies, most immigrants had nothing better to go back to, coming here was a liberation.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tomslake-Histo.../dp/0888390025

Isaiah 5:8