Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-20-2017, 07:10 PM

Default latest news story- hunting outrage....Let's tell CBC what we think about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.4459546

Looks like the CBC is trying to create the next cecil the lion.....

They made no effort to speak about cougar populations, hunting as a management tool, etc.

Below is the link to where you can complain to CBC about this story being biased.

http://www.ombudsman.cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/contact-us/

Cheers.
John
Highlanderhunting.wordpress.com
Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 PM

Global jumped on it as well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 PM

Meanwhile around Calgary they can't get enough people to hunt cougars. To meet management objectives.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:00 PM

They have to cover up shiny ponys free vacation. So what else let's slag outdoorsman. Awsome cat! I can't wait to go one day
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM

Sent to CBC Ombudsman:

I regret to say that I’m very disappointed with CBC’s coverage of a supposed news event in which a Canadian hunter legally hunts and kills a mature cougar. The legal hunt and kill of a cougar, done within the very strict parameters of the law, is not news. As a matter of fact, it occurs hundreds of thousands of times throughout the year in Alberta and across Canada.
Having a nationally funded news organization vilify a legal hunter is a black eye for the CBC, and is an example of choosing the easy news story that resonates with the current public appetite against legal consumptive use of renewable resources, in a way that our ancestors have done for generations. Moreover, hunting is being used as a tool for wildlife conservation, with a slew of government biologists on payroll to help determine conservative harvest levels that will help both “game” and “non-game” species thrive.
CBC: congratulations on turning your back upon an important tradition for the benefit of satiating our lust for scandal and retweets. Also, cudos on publishing an ethical and legal hunter’s name for public scrutiny by some members that believe threatening to kill a man is more acceptable than his legal kill of a cougar.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 PM

I applaud you Dave ... well written letter...thank you
Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Sent to CBC Ombudsman:

I regret to say that I’m very disappointed with CBC’s coverage of a supposed news event in which a Canadian hunter legally hunts and kills a mature cougar. The legal hunt and kill of a cougar, done within the very strict parameters of the law, is not news. As a matter of fact, it occurs hundreds of thousands of times throughout the year in Alberta and across Canada.
Having a nationally funded news organization vilify a legal hunter is a black eye for the CBC, and is an example of choosing the easy news story that resonates with the current public appetite against legal consumptive use of renewable resources, in a way that our ancestors have done for generations. Moreover, hunting is being used as a tool for wildlife conservation, with a slew of government biologists on payroll to help determine conservative harvest levels that will help both “game” and “non-game” species thrive.
CBC: congratulations on turning your back upon an important tradition for the benefit of satiating our lust for scandal and retweets. Also, cudos on publishing an ethical and legal hunter’s name for public scrutiny by some members that believe threatening to kill a man is more acceptable than his legal kill of a cougar.

Well said Dave.

Here's mine:
Message: This "news" article seems to be an attempt to fabricate controversy over cougar hunting.
The population of cougars in Alberta is on the rise, there is a healthy population of the species, it's a species that can cause conflict with people if their numbers near cities aren't controlled.
This article, other than mentioning that hunting cougars in Alberta is legal, did nothing to present balanced information on why there is a hunting season for cougars.
I see this as an example of biased reporting and expect a public broadcaster to do a better job of providing information, even if the article was picked up from the Canadian Press.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:00 PM

"The recent story involving Mr Ecklund and his cougar hunt is nothing short of a smear campaign. Cougars are increasing in range and numbers across Alberta according to ALL credible sources, and hunting opportunities have been expanded recently after thorough review by government biologists. This article presented mostly negative emotional reactions by ignorant social media users while leaving a mere footnote at the bottom that confirmed the hunt was legal. This is a misrepresentation of the event, the status of hunting, a blatant attempt at producing a scandal out of nothing, along with an unacceptable attack on a persons legal, ethical actions and character. "

The communist b.s.ing corporation can stuff it, and that ombudsman is gonna wish he never heard of cougar hunting. Keep it going.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Disappointed in Harpers wife's comments....wow I thought she was brighter.

LC
Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

Wait for the "Cougar kills child in Calgary backyard" headline, the comments will change and heads will roll. It's coming if we keep tolerating this crap.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Wait for the "Cougar kills child in Calgary backyard" headline, the comments will change and heads will roll. It's coming if we keep tolerating this crap.
No, it won't change anything. Those idiots are always going on about "well we're on their territory" regardless of the species or situation.

Now if cougar went at it with a more equal...I wonder who the granolas would virtue signal with?

Social engineering at its worst, but then the CBC has been doing that for many years.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Hell, if one snatches a stray cat there will be an uproar
Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Thank you for an excellent letter Dave. There was a time when Canadians could be proud of the CBC as an honest source of unbiased reporting. I do mean WAS.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Default Sent mine. Pretty underhanded they are.

CBC has written a story about a law abiding hunter that legally harvested a male cougar saying that he is bragging which in turn is actually just sharing his good fortune and his appreciation for the animal. The way this story is written makes the said hunter look like a villain. If I were this man I would be suing CBC for slander. This is not journalism at all there are no facts or details from his side of the story. There are only inflammatory paragraphs to trigger people’s emotions which is not what our news broadcasters should be doing.
I am saddened that the war on hunters has integrated into the media and has such a deep routed hatred for hunters. The facts of hunting is to help wildlife populations and without hunting the biologists would not have the information they have today. Take for example how many hunters each year help monitor CWD in deer by submitting the samples needed for scientific research. But you will never see this kind of information on CBC. This article with it’s lack of detail and facts has not only tarnished this mans name but has hurt the entire hunting community in whole. The way this article was written was purposely worded to try to make people angry that are not familiar with how hunting really is and how it is regulated.
The only people that would know any different are the people involved in the hunting community and the rest are now just under informed. The media should rather than misinform people to hate and send death threats to people they don’t even know, maybe try to bring a community together and report news accurately. I can not express enough that this article was written in poor judgment and out of context.
I hope that everyone that sent death threats to this law abiding hunter gets investigated and charged the same as someone sending death treats to our politicians.
I entrust that a rebuttal and apology from CBC will be swift and sincere.
Thank you for your time.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:05 PM

Default Cbc

CBC the Ministry of Misinformation!
Old 12-20-2017, 11:12 PM

This kind hurts all us hunters

Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 PM

So people thought her account was hacked due to her first post? Lol.
Also, what is wrong with stir fry? The dude ate the meat, which is great!

I think his response was great too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tweet.jpg (27.2 KB, 1334 views)
File Type: png response.png (7.9 KB, 1291 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Banned

Meh, just like that Alberta rancher said about the Cecil story......this story will be gone like a fart in the wind. I’m not going to get too worked up about it.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
No she’s obviously as stupid as the rest of the tree hugging morons.

Old Steve should smack some sense into her.

Kidding of course, well sort of... can’t hurt any feelings in this ****** up mess we have going now.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 AM

A look through the Google newspaper archives reveals the trend - 1950s-1960s you will find at least a weekly outdoors section in the paper, highlighting shotgunning championships, target shoots, and hunting results. One memorable article in the Calgary Herald outlined one mans extensive gun collection, complete with address (just off 16th ave near Peters Drive-In)!

Then in the later 1960s it begins in the letters - "The paper should be ashamed of publishing that picture of the poor murdered wolf!". Slowly the outdoors sections, fall guns and ammo ads, and anything related, disappears from the paper, and we find ourselves in a world with .50 BMG rifles in the woods, but the .22 rimfire murderous pistols locked away and out of sight.

How do we reverse the trend? Maybe a paper that has the balls to once again start publishing a weekly feature?

I'm sure Bass Pro took a bunch of flack for circulating their fliers when they first arrived in Canada, but then Wholesale Sports and Cabela's joined in.

It's time to come back out of the closet and be proud of our country and the outdoors pursuits we are so fortunate to enjoy!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Everyone has an opinion just too bad that the news people get to print thier crap to stir the pot to get the reviews, ratings up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2017, 03:35 AM

13 death threats;
there's a good place to start.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 AM

Default Well if it is her she’s not smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

So people thought her account was hacked due to her first post? Lol.
Also, what is wrong with stir fry? The dude ate the meat, which is great!

I think his response was great too.

Like I said under informed because I’m pretty sure he lives in Red Deer ALBERTA. So he would be a resident and not have to fly anywhere, but of coarse that is left out of the article like everything else factual. Then she rants about using every part of an animal and bashes him for eating it.
I’m still not sure it is her but if it is she’s not using her witts.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:25 AM

It's only a story because Mrs. Harper commented on Twitter. Without her it doesn't get published.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:

LC
Agreed.

CBC is government funded media = a Ministry of Propaganda
Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Default I'd give this a pass

There is nothing wrong with the facts as stated by the members but this is not a topic where we have a lot of public support, that's my opinion anyway.

Personally I'd shoot a cat like that if it was near my house in a heartbeat. The difference is I wouldn't call the CBC.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

LC
Just another twit on Twitter....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2017, 08:50 AM

With all due respect to the commentators, all devout cbc fans no doubt. This story was written, owned and distributed by the Canadian Press. The Canadian Press is not owned by the CBC, it s privately held company.

This story has been picked up by dozens of newspapers including the cbc.

Carry on.

Last edited by dmac; 12-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 AM

I don't know why anybody posts harvests on FB...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 AM

I follow Steve on FB and watched this debacle unfold. The majority of the outrage was not from Canadian residents. Mostly the UK. I know of at least one objector that changed their tune once they were presented with a clear, logical presentation of facts instead of the emotional response. There were a significant number of "supporters" that did nothing to help the cause through presenting facts or data, but were intentionally inflammatory which made me cringe.

We should not be ashamed of our hunting traditions, activities, and rights, but I believe that we should also be tactful in our response to attacks on the rights and ethics of hunters. To be inflammatory does nothing but polarize the general public, typically against us.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors