Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2022, 03:43 PM

Default How to celebrate an 8yr birthday in Edm?

Ok so we are hicks from the north but we happen to have to be in Edm next week for some tests and it happens that we have to drive home on the day my 4th son turns 8( fri).. we will have most of a day free ( thursday) and are trying to figure out what we can do with him while there... He is one of 6, and I have been out of work for almost two years so we can't blow a wad on it but we want to celebrate. Kids range from 13-4 so we would like something we can all participate in. He loves hunting, shooting, video games lol.. We gotta eat anyways so i thought about a nice meal ( costco is our go to if we get stuck in town at meal time lol) but dont know where to start.....looking for ideas things to do? Places to eat? Ect
Thanks
Old 10-14-2022, 04:02 PM

Back in the day, I used to book 4 lanes at Trophy Book archery in Spruce Grove. Had birthday parties there for my son and daughter. I blew up 3 garbage bags full of balloons and filled the backstop. Beginner recurves were available and the kids had a blast. The owner was always gracious and loved the youth getting involved.
Perhaps put in a call to Jimbows and see if they would accommodate a family event for you.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:21 PM

Our kids enjoy going to the indoor trampoline parks in Edmonton.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:27 PM

Hawrelak Park

Costs nothing. Bring a picnic. Kids can feed ducks and geese.

Bowling at Gateway lanes doesnt cost a ton.

Park at my place and take the trail to the river. I have enough fishing rods for each kid. And they dont need a license.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-14-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:50 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Hawrelak Park

Costs nothing. Bring a picnic. Kids can feed ducks and geese.

Bowling at Gateway lanes doesnt cost a ton.

Park at my place and take the trail to the river. I have enough fishing rods for each kid. And they dont need a license.
Bowling and kids is always a hit!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-14-2022, 05:40 PM

If you go to hawrelak park, go to the picnic shelter/bathrooms at the back of the loop.
There are a few oak trees there, and if there are still acorns, you might see some flying squirrels (closer to dark).
Or pack a canoe and have your picnic on the island.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
Our kids enjoy going to the indoor trampoline parks in Edmonton.
If it is anything like Flying Squirrel in Calgary (or elsewhere), kids would have a blast, I am fairly sure. I believe the Edmonton place(s) are a bit cheaper than the Flying Squirrel, about $16/hour, I believe? Not sure and we haven’t been there. The Calgary place is definitely a lot of fun for kids. While Edmonton is cheaper, neither is cheap though.

If it’s your thing, Zoo is about $10/person. Maybe they have some family deal as well? Royal Alberta Museum is pretty cool and they have $50/family, I believe. Again though, if that’s your thing. Parking is free at the zoo. The neighbourhood around the museum is pretty sketchy, so you may have to pay for parking as well.

Huntinstuff’s idea is pretty good too.

I’ll try to think of what else is there. We always do something with kids when we hit either of the cities.

That “waterpark” at the West Edmonton mall? Never been inside, but from the outside, it looked like it could be fun for the kids. No idea on the cost either.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:52 PM

Big Al's aquarium shop is on 99 st around 34 Ave.
There are lots of fish to look at for free.
They have a shark tank in the back.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:56 PM

^ Yep, that place is really cool if a guy likes fish. But we have an aquarium, so we stop there once in a while when we are in the city.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:26 PM

Laser tag can be fun.

B.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Laser tag can be fun.

B.
Yep. My kids liked doing escape rooms at that age too.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:11 PM

Have a look at Clip and Climb it’s in the south end. My kids 14 and 11 love it. Rock and Wall climbing place. Not super expensive $20 per kid for an hour. Check out their website.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:19 PM

Since Bulwinkles isn’t around anymore, I’ve hired a face painter and/or ballon artist, throw in a sundae bar where kids can make their own sundae, and it’s a birthday party to remember! Any single one of those is great!
Old 10-14-2022, 09:37 PM

All stars on south end another one to check. My kids have enjoyed going there.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:03 PM

Telus World of Science has some interesting things for 8 year olds. The laser shows are good and the imax might have something good playing. Halloween spooktacular shows too.

https://telusworldofscienceedmonton....ces/halloween/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-14-2022, 11:05 PM

Check out fort edmonton park .
Old 10-15-2022, 08:18 AM

+++ by fort edm is the john janzen natural area... indoor beehive play area and hands on exhibits..out side nature area.. and right next to fort edm... right around the corner by snow valley is the outdoor jungle gym ... my kids liked big Al's as well... all these are close to each other
Old 10-15-2022, 08:36 AM

Cruising West Edmonton Mall might be worth it for the kids, depending on how often you visit there. Having a few $$$ in the pocket for the arcade, roller coaster, or a specialty store for the birthday boy would help. Depends on the budget. A full day in the water park or amusement centre isn’t the cheapest fun.

Indoor rock climbing is a good idea with a few climbing gyms to choose from.

Telus World of Science is cool. Option to add on an IMAX show if you time it right.

Edmonton Valley Zoo is good for some walking outdoors, great rates. Elephant, giant snakes, tigers, sea lions, zebras, poisonous frogs. The bird-related exhibits are closed right now.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:51 AM

I know it’s not Edmonton but Canadian Brewhouse in St Albert has a few 5 pin bowling lanes built in it that you and your kids could enjoy as you have a meal there. There’s also a movie theatre right next door. My kids enjoyed it there.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:18 AM

We drove up from Airdire for my oldest 6th birthday at west Ed. They aw last night just walking the mall was great.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:57 AM

Amazone, it’s a great indoor playground/arcade
Old 10-15-2022, 11:05 AM

I agree on West Ed… shame the water park is so stupid expensive. Kids would have an absolute freaking blast. Wasn’t anything better when I was a kid!
Old 10-15-2022, 11:40 AM

WEM is a nightmare for adults but its fun for kids.

Everything from Arcade,amusement park, waterpark, sealife cavern to see sharks,turtles,penguins, Sea lion show.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-15-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I agree on West Ed… shame the water park is so stupid expensive. Kids would have an absolute freaking blast. Wasn’t anything better when I was a kid!
No kidding! Damn… Just looked and it is $50-60 per person. No wonder we’ve never been, lol.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:31 PM

Over the years we have done WEM and the water park ( once....it was pricy) we have a tramp in the yard the kids jump on daily so it kinda goes against the grain to pay 160$ ( 8x20) to jump for an hour...lol. the older boys have played lazer tag a couple times but we 3 who would be too young for it... I like the duck feeding idea... except for our two oldest i dont think any of them have done that....and he is the kind of kid that would get a kick out of that kind of thing..i love the bow idea but he has his own bow and shoots it often so I'm not sure how original that would be...lots of good ideas...keep em coming. We wont be in the city until wed so still time to decide.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:01 PM

Bronx or Bonnie Doon bowling for a big family. 5 pin, so the younger kids can deliver the ball as well. Either book a party and let them feed you, or go bowling and have a bite somewhere else. Probably a lot more affordable than Gateway or other 10 pin lanes, plus easier to handle for the smaller kids.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:15 PM

Chuck E. Cheese in South Common
Old 10-19-2022, 12:50 PM

Not sure if your kids would be interested...
The University of Alberta has a few different museums that might be interesting. They would be free to go look at. Easy parking too. Here's a list and link. Everything from fossils to rocks to amphibians and meteorites.

https://search.museums.ualberta.ca/browse

Also, there is a dinosaur bone bed along Whitemud creek in south Edmonton that your kids might like. It is a short walk into a valley by the Anthony Henday Freeway. Free parking on 119 street and a walk down an old coal mine road/trail into the valley . I don't think they would find many bones on the surface anymore as the University digs there. Along the creek might be some bone fragments to be found. A close friend found the bonebed 30 years ago and now archeologists go dig there every year. It is called the Danek bonebed. I could send you co-ordinates if you are interested.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-19-2022, 04:39 PM

Roller coaster at west Edmonton mall !
He will never forget it .