Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Close but not close enough

I have been watching the “stalking game on the prairie” thread closely like dadof5 I am reasonably new to bow hunting and certainly a beginner at spot and stalk on the prairie, and like dadof5 I have been getting reasonably close but not good enough for the bow.

Last week in the morning I spotted a hog of a buck standing on top of a coulee about 500 yards away. When I realize he is looking the opposite direction and the wind is in my favor I decided to cover the ground as fast as possible and still be quite. Keeping an eye on him and only moving when he is looking the opposite direction I managed to close the gap to about 100 yards in short order, and as far as I can tell the buck is not aware of me at all. At this point I notice a smaller buck bedded down 75 yards away between me and the larger buck. I freeze not sure what to do. I stare at the smaller buck for some time and he looks back, eventually he stands up and walks toward the larger buck. At this point I make a plan to get closer; I drop into the coulee and take a ˝ hour to close the gap when I come back on top, to a place I figure will put me about 20-30 yards away from the two bucks they where gone. I glass around and see 6 bucks including the two I was stalking walk in to a patch of bush in the bottom of the coulee about 150 Yards away not in a huge hurry.

After the deer went in to the bush I did not make an attempt on them, thinking if they are not stressed out I might have another chance at them on my next hunt.

How would any of you handle the situation differently?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM

You could have tried putting your 50 yard pin five feet above his back and let her fly....just kidding..lol.

Spot and stalk is what makes bowhunting so much fun. Wait for the right shot and the right opportunity. It will come.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 PM

I am living the same life, struggling working stalks with too many eyes on me, or worse yet a surprise animal popping up!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 PM

"I am living the same life, struggling working stalks with too many eyes on me, or worse yet a surprise animal popping up!"

X2
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 AM

I guess if it was easy it would not be nearly as much fun. After going through the situation in my head for six days now I think the best knowledge I gained is, I now know there escape route when they are pushed into the coulee. If a similar situation happens again I may be able to ambush them on there way to the bush.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Keep trying! Good luck!