Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's just too bad for those people, but sometimes a few have to suffer for the benefit of the majority. If it was me, I would buy my non resident fishing license, while my legal address was still outside of Alberta.
Exactly.....you are never in limbo. You are either a resident or a nonresident.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM

So if we say to the criminals "DON'T" the problem will be solved. Surprising someone hasn't come up with that before.

They already know what they are doing is illegal. I know it is hard to imagine but criminals do not follow rules and regulations.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
So if we say to the criminals "DON'T" the problem will be solved. Surprising someone hasn't come up with that before.

They already know what they are doing is illegal. I know it is hard to imagine but criminals do not follow rules and regulations.
They know that what they are doing is not legal, but they also know that it is extremely unlikely that they will get caught, since no real effort is being made to enforce the rules. We need the provincial authorities to work together to catch the people buying resident licenses in multiple provinces, but I seriously doubt that the provinces will ever work together in this matter.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
And here lies the problem, so why make this another bigoted eastern bashing thread like was the intent of the OP.

There is many resident Newfoundlanders waiting for draws that are just as angry when residents of Alberta are snapping up tags just because they were raised in Newfoundland.

I would bet money there is more Saskatewan farm boys going home to hunt Whitetails as a resident then there are Newfies doing the same.

I would also bet BC would be a close second with Ontario right in the mix as well.

We have an enforcement problem in Alberta. I have never been asked for a hunting license and don't ever expect to be. We need to lobby the government or take it on ourselves to pay higher fees for better law enforcement.
you have never been checked in the field or on the road?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, that situation is not at all unrealistic where I live. Many people working in our area purchase resident tags in Alberta, and apply for our draws, then return to their home provinces, and hunt with resident tags in that province as well. Many people do this every year, and the system doesn't seem to be able to detect that this is even happening.

What I would like to see happen, is for Alberta to require a person to be a resident for six months prior to being able to purchase a win card, and then a person must reside in Alberta for at least six months of each year. As well, I would like to see all of the provinces and territories link their systems, so that a person can only qualify as a resident in one location at a time, and any person that purchases a resident license in more than one location at the same time, is suspended from holding a license in any province, or from taking part in the draws in any province for at least three years.

Thank you EH 11 for your post.

This sort of nonsense is getting to be ridiculous.

Where are all the green freeks when stuff like this is happening? There are enough of them right here on the AO forum.

What is the current premier doing?

Nothing, other than preparing for another job on the backs of Albertans.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
They know that what they are doing is not legal, but they also know that it is extremely unlikely that they will get caught, since no real effort is being made to enforce the rules. We need the provincial authorities to work together to catch the people buying resident licenses in multiple provinces, but I seriously doubt that the provinces will ever work together in this matter.
So how will making more regulations like you suggest make any difference?

If a person is honestly relocating to another area he should be able to hunt as a resident. Punishing him or her because of someone else's criminal activity makes no sense.

Like I mentioned before, this is not an Alberta thing. You can tell by the recent changes in the Saskatchewan regs that they feel Albertans are put too much strain on their resources. There is no doubt a lot of dual licence holders between the two provinces.

We need enforcement and meaningful punishment for offenders not more paperwork.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Default wonderful

Fantastic.we resident albertas born an raised dream an wait yr after yr for that wonderful word "drawn" in front of that 438 sheep aplocation,one of the nose covered tags this province has to offer and an put of province guy that probly has zero clue at all about sheep let alone where the F'n zone is gets drawn..this system needs to change.wish we were like sask so all these out of province guys couldn't apply for our tags.an I smpend plenty of time workin in fort Mac an know the mentality level of most of the out of province people that come here an hunt.wandering river an grassland area used to be phenomenal whitetail areas now there shot to hell thanks to all the "east coasters" from fort Mac.i have friends that don't even hunt there anymore cause of the gong show.and my friends that outfit for waterfowl having newfies burn across their feild for the morning shooting at geese off of quads.F&W took good care of those clowns by the way.enough of my rant ive stated my opinion.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I have been asked for a fishing license but only at places like the local trout pond or the marina here at the lake. I have never been asked for a hunting license.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I think a "born in Alberta", priority pool should Be created and get first crack at all draws.... JJ

in the mean time,ship the outfitters up to the crown land where they F'in belong and let them guide for whitetail and bear......that should free up alot of draw wait time!!!
x2
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
So how will making more regulations like you suggest make any difference?
With the current laws, some out of province people are legally hunting as Alberta residents, even if they are only living in Alberta for a few months at a time. They move here, so this becomes their primary residence for as long as they are here. If we add a six month residency clause, at least we take away the legal means for some of these people to gain resident status.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
With the current laws, some out of province people are legally hunting as Alberta residents, even if they are only living in Alberta for a few months at a time. They move here, so this becomes their primary residence for as long as they are here. If we add a six month residency clause, at least we take away the legal means for some of these people to gain resident status.
I know what you are saying but it is unenforceable. We haven't got enough guys on the ground to combat blatant poaching let alone do background checks for proof of residency.

If a guy says to a license vender that he has been staying here for 6 months where do we get the funding to investigate? If we did have the funding wouldn't it be better spent enforcing the laws we have that seem to be no more than a suggestion to a lot of hunters, resident or not.

There is seldom a night goes by in season that you don't hear shots well past legal shooting hours. There is as many people fishing with bait in restricted areas that are fishing legally. Ducks and geese are slaughtered with no one honoring the spirit of the possession limits. Owning a smoker or giving 100 geese away a season was not the intention of the law nor was having a limit for every member of the household in the freezer, etc,etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
It's just too bad for those people, but sometimes a few have to suffer for the benefit of the majority. If it was me, I would buy my non resident fishing license, while my legal address was still outside of Alberta.
But that would be illegal would it not?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs29 View Post
But that would be illegal would it not?
No....if you are not a resident in Alberta, you are a nonresident.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 PM

oops
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 PM

the 3 month vacation on ei annoys me more than the sheep tag .save your money if you want a holiday.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Want to know the part that $^&$%#@^ me off the most is he said work to get enough hours then go back EAST and sit on EI for a 3 month holiday. I hope you get caught frauding the system!!

I never even read the full posting, just made my comments.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have been asked for a fishing license but only at places like the local trout pond or the marina here at the lake. I have never been asked for a hunting license.
That's amazing, most of us have been checked many times. Anybody else out there never been checked?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That's amazing, most of us have been checked many times. Anybody else out there never been checked?
Me. Although the likelihood would be higher if I fished as much as I used to.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM

I have never been checked by F&W in the field in Alberta, although I have been checked a couple of times by the RCMP and F&W, at roadside check stops just out of Fort McMurray. I have been checked several times in Saskatchewan, but it usually just ended up being a chance to catch up with an officer that we have known for many years. Since he retired, I haven't been checked in Saskatchewan either.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM

That's what east coaster do they come here to work,get enough hrs an then bugger off an live on EI.deal with it all the time,them cryin for layoffs cause they have enough hrs an wanna go home when a week before they were cryin cause they couldn't work the weekend.90% are as good as usless
Old 07-13-2013, 11:35 AM

We check at my shop.. i wont sell a resident win with out an alberta drivers licence or Id. if you are a resident you will have I.D to prove it. we do the same with hunters education. show me proof and ill set you up. Problem is most issuers dont bother asking. Box stores are really bad.
Rob
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've been checked while out hunting over the past 17 years. I average many, many days afield per year too. I've been checked countless times fishing, but not hunting.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 PM

also never been checked for fishing license or hunting license.

Enforcing it is possible, but responsibility of issuing the Win Cards would most likely have to be handed over to F&W offices, not Walmart and Cantire. these stores could still issue licenses but adding the extra barrier to entry of having to go the F&W offices during operating hours with a valid piece of identification showing you are a resident to obtain a WIN would help discourage the lawbreakers.

non-residents could be able to purchase licenses (or fishing licenses) with out a win but the purchase price would be that of the non-resident tag...

there would obviously have to be other more complex discrepancies such as proof of hunter host or guide and what not....just an idea
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefisher2885 View Post
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've been checked while out hunting over the past 17 years. I average many, many days afield per year too. I've been checked countless times fishing, but not hunting.
I'm the opposite. I get checked while hunting pretty much every year. Often more than a few times. Fishing, only 3 or 4 times.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

1 year wait before being able to hunt with proof of 1 full year residency including an Alberta drivers lic and Ins. At 1 year only hunt general tags other than Bighorns and apply for certain low demand draws. After 5 years of full residency then you can put in all draws and hunt the high priority animals such as Bighorns.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Should be at least a years wait and a Hunter Ed program with proof before you buy license. I could have got my kid a Win card this year and applied for Draws but he didn't finish his Hunter Ed manual and write the test in time. I could have lied and applied for draws and then finished the course but told him that wouldn't be right. Yes , it is not allowed but I know for a fact I could have gotten away with it. Seen it happen with a few others that never did have a course.
I believe the NWT makes you wait 2 years.

I think 6 months with an address in the province is fine.

No point in treating everyone like a jerk or a nube... pardon the pun.

As for hunters ed proof.
Good luck with that... I wrote mine in 1978 in BC.
That paper is long gone and so are the records.
The best I could have done would have been an expired license... if I still had one or my hunters number.

Now if my father decided to move back here and get at it... he wrote his the first year ( I believe) that it was required in Alberta.

Its just not paractical.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
In past dozen years living in AB -checked twice for fishing, never while hunting

Hunted in SK as a non-resident a couple years ago and never even saw a CO

One year living in BC - fishing once, hunting 0

5 years living in MB - fishing at least three times, hunting at least twice

15 years in ON - too many times to count/remember. Of course, back then all the provinces still valued their F&G resource and had the funds available to enforce regulations.

instead of whining about other Canadians hunting here in AB, why not go out and join a F&G club and/or write some MP's and try and make the powers that be stand up and take notice.

What we need is more enforcement if we're going to have problems like we all see in the field these days, and I suspect it's not just an Alberta phenomenon.

However, any area with a higher than average transient population is going to have a harder time recruiting volunteers and F&G club members....it's up to the folks that join these clubs to have a voice for hunters. Your local club will (or should) provide you born'n'raised types numerous opportunities to voice opinions, influence regulation changes, etc, etc, etc...our in GP does.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Kris "only or primary residence here" are the key words. If you work in a camp and maintain a residence and family in another province you should not qualify for resident tags.
It's not "should not", such an individual does not. Seems black and white to me. Now, I am by no means anti new Albertan. I moved to Alberta from another province myself but I did so 100%. Been here too long now to consider myself a new Albertan anymore and wish I'd have stayed the first time I ever came out... Anyhow, congrats to the OP on his draw IF he's legal. That would be, has his primary address here. Someone with an actual physical address in Alberta who is present here throughout the majority of the year and does not hunt as a resident elsewhere in Canada sounds good to go in my book.