Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Matthew's New "Monster"

Alright Gent's I have to do it what do you all think of the new Matthews Monster and Monster XLR8.

I am really thinking hard about selling my Bowtech and going back to Matthews as This bow is fast and accurate.

I would like your opinion good or bad.

Thanks in advance

Cheers David
Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Sure it's fast but is it any more accurate than most bows on the market like your bowtech? They are a heck of a lot of money and I find them a tad funny looking. If it feels right on you then go for it.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 AM

G' Day David,

I shot a 70# Monster a month or so back and I really liked it, I currently shoot a Switchback (my second Mathews) I shot a Reezen as well and I prefered the Monster which surprised me, for a super fast bow I expected a fair amount of trade off in regards to feel, smoothness, vibration and of course noise.

As I said I liked it, I still want to try the XLR8 in an 80# before I decide.

Quote:
Jeromeo Sure it's fast but is it any more accurate than most bows on the market like your bowtech? They are a heck of a lot of money and I find them a tad funny looking. If it feels right on you then go for it.
Jeromeo is right, most if not all top line bows now are capable of better accuracy than most Archers/Bowhunters are capable of using (myself included).

As for price, over here (or down here ) Bowtech and Mathews are almost identical in price anyway although the accessories are far more expensive from Mathews (but well and truely worth it IMHO), and I was like Jeromeo, I thought they were similar to the X-Force and was really not to interested,,,,,,,,,,,,until I shot it, that really did it for me, for a super fast bow they really do deliver all that Mathews stand for, so yeah I will be getting one.

And besides the look of them does grow on you after a little while

By the way did I mention that I like Mathews Bows, so I am biased but if it is good than it is good.

As always though it really comes down to what you want in a bow and how it feels for you.

Lets us know how you go.

Cheers Noel
Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 AM

I'm in the same boat,

Currently shoot a Mathews MQ32 which I do love, I shoot it well but would like a bit more speed.

I shot the Monster and the Reezen and found that I actually shot the Monster better. (which as mentioned above I too was suprised.) Then yesterday I went out to Sherwood Park Archery and shot the Alpha Max. I found it very close to the Reezen. I'm now more confused than ever and will probably just hold on to my old MQ32.

Best of luck to you in trying to find a new dance partner.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM

I am kinda swinging the other way. Bad parts include, heavy, akwardly top heavy balance, heavy feeling draw that felt very peeked at the end, short valley, small brace, and those big heavy harmonic dampners. On the upside, I like the split limb, that split to a ring harness should stay tuned easy, the speed factor, and its good looks. I'm not a big fan of mathews, but from what I've seen, that dxt is pretty hard to beat.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=cuz;321215]I am kinda swinging the other way. Bad parts include, heavy, akwardly top heavy balance,

Its designed for top heavy balance , it enhances your follow thru , I love it , shoot a Drenalin now and look forward to da Monster !!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Default Monster

Shot the Moster last night, sure is fast but not to my liking. Found the 28" draw length to be very long like alomst 29" long. Has anyone else noticed that? Shot the Bowtech Air Raid also, liked it better, should be a good sellar also.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Seen the new PSE add lately???? refering to the monster......lmao.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Wasn't fond of it, it had quite a bit of hand shock in comparison to the APA and the PSE X-Force LD. It was smoother than the PSE though. I'd by an APA Mamba MX1 over the Mathews Monster (oh wait, I did).
I like my Bowtechs though, and if I buy a bow specifically for 3D it will likely be a Bowtech Captain, or Diamond Iceman.
I still miss my '07 Guardian
The best bow in the Matthews Line up right now is still the DXT for a hunter IMO.