Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Default Earth quake on slave

Call me quack if you want but I am sure that we felt the earth quake on slave lake this afternoon. About 2:00 to 2:30 a wave went through the narrows moved the truck and could be felt when standing on the ice. Of course my fishing partner figured it was the one that just got away : I've been ice fishing for years mostly on Pegion or Gull and heard lots of ice noises but this one was different. Anyway, Didnt think much of it till we got home and watched the news and started wondering if that may have been the earth quake in Chiille. As reported the largest quake in history! Anybody else on the ice at different lakes feel anything wiered or was it just the big water?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 AM

OK...you are a quack!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM

That's cool, if that's what it was....

Unfortunatly we didn't feel anything of the sort over here in Town.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 AM

Parents were in Cuba when the Haiti quake hit. They were almost within sight of the island but the only way they knew was from the news. Ice makes the scariest sounds know to man !
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Maybe the EX was jumping up and down on the far shore , THAt would do it!!!( hehehe)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM

i was on pigeon once when a huge fissure opened up; everything shook for a second along with one heck of a loud CRACK!!! we had to drive to another exit point because there was a chack about a foot wide that opened up between us and where we drove on. when it happened i was just sittin there, gazing at the always exciting wire worm waitin for a white - all of a sudden it wasnt under the hole anymore!
cheers
Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Earthquake

Happened to us to but we were fishing in Manitoba was visiting family down there a few years ago now. Three of us were in tents so didn't see what happened but felt the ice shift big time, but my nephew was sitting in the truck at the time. Said the truck moved and water was shooting out of cracks in the ice 4' high, well everything settled down so back to fishing. On the way home where we had crossed a pressure ridge about a foot high, there was now a opening a couple feet wide and we had to find a new spot to cross. the nephew never said anything on the way home but there was a sh...y smell in the truck ( he was about 11 at the time). To this day he says it wasn't him and who knows maybe it wasn't. Biggest scare I've had on a lake. I think the lake size had a lot to do with it.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Default earthquake

You definatly could have felt the earthquake. Its happened to me and my dad we went out on the river ice to retrieve our fence that was fozen in. I started chopping the ice to get the posts out and all of a sudden it sounded like thunder coming down the river and you could feel it under your feet you could also hear it carry on down the river it was crazy. As soon as we walked in the house my mom tells us that my uncled phoned and there was an earthquake somewhere by Grand Prairie it shook his house a little.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Lots of rock blasting going on up there , mines , could have been that.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 AM

You are no quack Hick. This happened to us on Slave in January. We were about a KM off the North shore, my wife, daughter an yours truly. It was just after dark and my daughter was very annoyed we were out on the lake so late. While in the shack we felt it move, I got out to see what was up and then the big one, the ice lifted at least 2 feet, buckled my knees and then I got run over by the girls bolting out of the shack. This was followed by a very loud boom. Bizarre! Unfortunately that was the last time my daughter has been hard water fishing with me. That lake shifts, snaps and cracks a lot and when it heaves the entire lake moves.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Default Gerry

Tried to send a message back but says 0 sent don't know what went wrong so here it is. Born an raised in Onoway, third generation farmer until the BSE.
My mother was from Grand Beach and my wife was raised in St. Rose du Lac. try to get back when we can.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Chile had a 9.2 quake in 1960. Prompting better building codes. Probably saved thousands!!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Default gerry

Don't know if you are getting the messages or reading it here, still says 0 sent messages
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Have you ever heard the ice crack right underneath your feet. I can be F***** Loud, Amd you can feel it sometimes depending how much it opens up with the water and Air rushing up through the crack. also if you get that large cracked off pan of ice to shift it can start to buckle and crack more. and you'll really feel it and tends to be really loud, it has been known to create a wave moving the water allowing more air to ecscape from below the ice make a large booming sound. Especially common on large lakes,

Last edited by ice; 02-28-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Fishgut

I'm getting the messages even though it's telling you I'm not
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up Full Moon

There is lots of stress relief in the ice on full moon. A number of years ago I did a trip to lac la nonne and when I was ice fishing on full moon the ice cracked so loud it sounded like thunder rumbling.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Was on Spray on Sat, and it sounds like someone has a loud bass drum going off, all day. felt them a few times but it was listening to it that was the scary part.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!