Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default Are elk nocturnal?

Went on a three day trip up to the Grande Cache area for elk and found lots of signs that elk are there. I was actually surprised how they walk on such steep areas where I had a hard time climbing and getting down! We found about 18 beddings (melted snow) and poop, tracks and urine all over. I even took a video to show my other hunting buddies who were too lazy to follow me haha. I am not sure if we spooked the elk and they ran off, or if they sleep during the day and only move at night. I tried to track them over 5km and lost them at the creek.

Any tips what I can fix for next year? I have tried to shoot an elk since August and we see them on our scouting trips, they show up on cameras but as soon as the season comes in, they disappear. I did manage to shoot a nice whitetail but was upset to find out that this year many areas where I was able to use a supplemental tag, have changed to general only.

We did not call as I thought it would scare the cows and put them on high alert, rut is over and bulls are quiet and resting.

Please help!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:41 PM

To the best of my understanding it is illegal to shoot before one half hour prior to sunrise and one half hour after sun set.

People post dead elk here all the time so I would have to say diurnal.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 PM

Yep, that sounds like elk hunting. Check out Randy Newbergs youtube page, there is endless amounts of information in his video's, which are mostly elk hunting on public land, and its not douchey like most hunting shows.

Start practicing your bugle and cow call and be ready for the rut next year. Best time to figure out where they're hanging out during the rut. Elk hunting gets tougher after the rut, the older bulls take off on their own and hide in some nasty places
Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM

The elk I hunt leave their feeding area just before daylight. We catch them in the thick bush between feeding and bedding areas. That's where year round scouting becomes crucial. You have to learn their pattern, for each every seasons. Learn every trails they like to use, when and why. If you hunt far from home and just wing it, you'll have to count on luck only.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
To the best of my understanding it is illegal to shoot before one half hour prior to sunrise and one half hour after sun set.

Yup. Every elk I’ve shot has been during daylight hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

Haha yea I know. But I have seen more elk at night than during the day. Seems like it is the only time they can be free and not worry about human hunters lol. I have seen them during the day in the towns and stuff but I feel like they go nocturnal like the 7 point buck I am trying to shoot.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Haha yea I know. But I have seen more elk at night than during the day. Seems like it is the only time they can be free and not worry about human hunters lol. I have seen them during the day in the towns and stuff but I feel like they go nocturnal like the 7 point buck I am trying to shoot.
On full moon nights, you're guaranteed to find them feeding.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM

When we hunted 429 for elk in Nov, an hour before dark was when we seen the ghosts. Coming out to the grassy cut blocks to feed. They were ghosts up until the snow fell and they had to find easier access to food. I think most herds have been pushed around for a while now and have gone to hiding out during the day.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:38 PM

They are deep in hiding. Thought I heard some talking when I cut there tracks this morning. I won’t tell where. They need a rest. Seen about 5 a few miles away chewing on bales around 10:30 pm the other night. Yup they can work the system really well at night.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 PM

They only become nocturnal, through negative interactions imposed on them.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy coffee View Post
They are deep in hiding. Thought I heard some talking when I cut there tracks this morning. I won’t tell where. They need a rest. Seen about 5 a few miles away chewing on bales around 10:30 pm the other night. Yup they can work the system really well at night.
Must have a good FLIR system.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Must have a good FLIR system.
Sounds like a poacher to me.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM

Haha, wow,first time I have ever been called a poacher. My family thinks you both have very small testicles hiding behind your posts. My wife and I were coming home from town. We do see animals at night when we do drive in the dark. I guess living in the country means I’m a poacher. No permission at all this year.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Have to find a way to intercept them between were they feed and we’re they bed down. Were they come out to feed they will probably leave to early and come out to lat but some times they make mistakes and hang around to long.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy coffee View Post
Haha, wow,first time I have ever been called a poacher. My family thinks you both have very small testicles hiding behind your posts. My wife and I were coming home from town. We do see animals at night when we do drive in the dark. I guess living in the country means I’m a poacher. No permission at all this year.
I will let my wife know how you feel and I will ask her to go and compare my testicles to all the guys she meets. Now I’m googling testicle enlargement surgeries.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Have to find a way to intercept them between were they feed and we’re they bed down. Were they come out to feed they will probably leave to early and come out to lat but some times they make mistakes and hang around to long.
Exactly this and remember elk can easily travel 5-15 miles from bedding area to feed source. I’ve killed elk in the same patch of bush in late season as they travel back and forth. Once I know there feeding in a certain place I get to my spot in the early morning and wait sometimes a half hour sometimes a few hours.

Keep putting boots on the ground in the same area you’ll find it.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Here is my take on the whole nocturnal elk/deer/moose issue. Even if they are they are still in the bush they don’t go to sleep in a house and lock the door so they can still be hunted

Often what the real issue is the lack of movement in feeding areas during daylight hrs. So there is a shorter window of movement in daylight. So like others have said you need to cut them off closer to bedding areas then feeding area

In the end the animals are still there they always are 24/7 you just have to figure them out
Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 AM

They may not be nocturnal, but when November rolls around your not going to see them standing in a field by the road during legal light.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM

I try two strategies-
1. Sneak into their feeding field or just off it where they exit in the predawn darkness. This requires utmost stealth and playing the wind 100%. We shot two bulls on Monday doing this. In 4 days we saw 130ish elk at legal light, hanging around where they were feeding for sometimes half hour after legal. Don't blow them out though or they sometimes won't be back for a few days.
2.find a skinny cut line somewhere in the bush a mile or two past where they feed and filter out of their dining rooms. They wander much slower in the bush at times. If I miss them in the dining room I'll rip around and try to cut them off a couple miles away. That gives you two bona fide chances at them instead of just sitting one spot.

I've become a lot more mobile hunting these beasts. They can sure eat up the miles in a day.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Yes Nocturnal

I am Rail Traffic Controller and trains report wildlife strikes to us. 1 night after hunting season closed in BC just east of Fort Steele a train called to report hitting and killing a bull elk. The time was 0300 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 AM

I guess I should have been more general:

1. Elk arrive in the evening/night to their feeding grounds.
2. They feed and bed all night usually in 1 place. They dont move a whole lot if they arent pressured in the kitchen
3. They leave to bed usually exiting the open places right at daylight or just after.

So yes, in a sense they are nocturnal feeders. Where most catch them is coming to and from midday bedding grounds.

and

just when you think you have them figured out, they throw you a curveball. And that's why I love hunting elk waaaay over any other species in Alberta
Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM

Very simple, find their fresh tracks and carefully trail them to their bedding area, then chutum when they stand up to leave, all during daylight hours. Yes the are nocturnal but will stay late in feeding areas when very cold.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Banned

Yes, elk are nocturnal.

Hunt deer instead.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Yep, that sounds like elk hunting. Check out Randy Newbergs youtube page, there is endless amounts of information in his video's, which are mostly elk hunting on public land, and its not douchey like most hunting shows.

Start practicing your bugle and cow call and be ready for the rut next year. Best time to figure out where they're hanging out during the rut. Elk hunting gets tougher after the rut, the older bulls take off on their own and hide in some nasty places
Ha ha douchey shows pretty much sums it up.

Saving this guys name for later to watch them. Thanks.