Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Default I don’t get it - California fire

Was just watching CNN news and the reporters are standing in areas with green trees all around them however vehicles and buildings burned?
What’s up with that?

Don
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 AM

The trees have deeper roots and still had good water content, not exactly easy to light that on fire. Grass and shrubs dry up much more easily.

Neil Young's house burnt down. Anyone care to bet that he'll not be replacing it with an eco-friendly tiny house on wheels?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Neil Young's house burnt down. Anyone care to bet that he'll not be replacing it with an eco-friendly tiny house on wheels?
Well that's a shame.

But I'm sure you're right, a hypocrite like Young won't be living in an eco friendly house.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM

The ground cover in the California hills is thick thick thick. Alot of it is a very hard sappy wood as well.

Every fall the Santa Anna winds start, which are hot dry winds blowing inland. If a fire starts, it runs up the hills through the brush, which is very dry after the summer heat.

This year is worse than others. A wet spring had lots of growth in the scrub brush in the hills.

Alot of the pines that people have in their yards can take fire on their bark, but the branches up high will not get burned. Alot of the trees are in the middle of lawns so no ground fire.

But the shower of sparks and cinders falling sets every building on fire much like what happened in Slave Lake.

Sorry to see the loss and destruction, but this has happened for decades down there. But no one learns not to build in the hills.

Drewski
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM

When you drive through AZ and CA you see huge piles of dead brush everywhere one spark with a wind behind it spells disaster the fire moves so fast only the tinder dry trees catch fire leaving behind the green plants to grow ..natures plan...?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
The trees have deeper roots and still had good water content, not exactly easy to light that on fire. Grass and shrubs dry up much more easily.

Alberta tar sands burnt down his house I bet. Watch for the documentary him and Leo come out with.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Was just watching CNN news and the reporters are standing in areas with green trees all around them however vehicles and buildings burned?
What’s up with that?

Don
Same BS in Loon lake, Slave lake and Fort Mac fires, but don't worry the tv has plenty of rediculous explanation's to placate the fluoride water drinkers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dQitRLQwI&t=1s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqaeNWkSDg&t=135s

Last edited by ReconWilly; 11-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:

This will probably get me kicked off the site but **** Neil Young.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
This will probably get me kicked off the site but **** Neil Young.
I'll repeat **** Neil Young.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM

As much as I dislike the man's politics, I can't bring myself to cheer the destruction of his home. What he does with the rebuild is fair game for commentary though as his walk should parallel his talk in terms of not consuming much.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:42 PM

You guys are too generous.
I'd only give Neil young one star.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
As much as I dislike the man's politics, I can't bring myself to cheer the destruction of his home. What he does with the rebuild is fair game for commentary though as his walk should parallel his talk in terms of not consuming much.
That's the problem. Rebuild in the same place, gonna burn again in all probability. California is full of people building their Dream Home, where they have no business.

Grizz
Old 11-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Trump was on CNN blaming California for their own fires, saying if they do not get them under control there would be no more Federal money for them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM

There was enough rich and famous Hollywood elite that got burned out this time that something will be done now. They need to clean out the huge amount of underbrush tinder dry fuel in all the canyons that has been building up for decades. Hard to believe that after decades of these fires that they have ignored it. These fires have been going on for eons in California. Historically those canyons burned frequently almost nothing more than simple grass and tumblewood fires every few decades. It's a different story now, some of those canyons haven't burned for a hundred years, normally they probably would have burned several times over the last couple centuries but they kept putting them out when people started settling there. It has come to the point there is so much fuel lying around that when they do catch fire it can't be put out especially when the Santa Anna winds are blowing.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Never mind...
speedy recovery and a rebuild to those affected.
God Bless the Firefighters.
Rob
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
There was enough rich and famous Hollywood elite that got burned out this time that something will be done now. They need to clean out the huge amount of underbrush tinder dry fuel in all the canyons that has been building up for decades. Hard to believe that after decades of these fires that they have ignored it. These fires have been going on for eons in California. Historically those canyons burned frequently almost nothing more than simple grass and tumblewood fires every few decades. It's a different story now, some of those canyons haven't burned for a hundred years, normally they probably would have burned several times over the last couple centuries but they kept putting them out when people started settling there. It has come to the point there is so much fuel lying around that when they do catch fire it can't be put out especially when the Santa Anna winds are blowing.
Forest service has tried for years to get the brush and overgrowth cleared, to get sustainable logging practices going, other stuff... but the environmentalists block them every time with law suits and protests.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 AM

Horrible situation, just watched a video where a guy was going around filming all the burned out cars with people still in them. I won't post it but it's labeled something like Camp fire fires.

Just read that Pacific Gas & Electric could be responsible for this fire due to faulty equipment and it wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...221535305.html
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, he is the enemy of every man woman and child in this province, what he did up north was inexcusable, he deserves worse!
You don't stab people from your own country in the back like he did.
There are way bigger problems in the world than the tar sands.
To all the good people who lost their homes in the fire, condolences.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Sorry, he is the enemy of every man woman and child in this province, what he did up north was inexcusable, he deserves worse!
Thank you wildbill. What you wrote is exactly what I was trying to find the words for. But yours has much less swearing.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Thank you wildbill. What you wrote is exactly what I was trying to find the words for. But yours has much less swearing.

I guess there's a certain irony in him suffering from environmental mismanagement.

Grizz
Old 11-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I guess there's a certain irony in him suffering from environmental mismanagement.

Grizz
I bet he's gonna spin it into "caused by global warming" thing, and make millions.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I agree.
But we get worse abuse from those we elect in this country and we pay them to do it to us.

Wildbill did you ever lose your home and everything that you valued to fire?

I have and I do t wish that feeling on anyone even a numbnuts like n Neil Young.

Karma works in mysterious ways!

BW
Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Old 11-15-2018, 01:04 AM

I'm a downstream patch guy these days. Been laid off most of '18.

While I have no love for a washed up marginal rocker, let's not get lost in the fact that over 50 people and many more missing have lost their damn lives in this event!

Show some class.

Tree
Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 AM

What people don't know and media doesn't report is, Most of California used to be desert like and over the years more and more people have built in this desert. They say global warming made the dry conditions like they have now. BS ! You build in a desert, build water canals and bring water in, plant grass and trees and water lots, of course it's gonna look like it was green all the time. There is still tall dry grasses and bushes all around and one spark will set it off. As well as the houses are built closer and closer together the fire will spread and destroy all them houses when the winds pick up as they have.

I wish the media would report all the real facts sometimes.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
What people don't know and media doesn't report is, Most of California used to be desert like and over the years more and more people have built in this desert. They say global warming made the dry conditions like they have now. BS ! You build in a desert, build water canals and bring water in, plant grass and trees and water lots, of course it's gonna look like it was green all the time. There is still tall dry grasses and bushes all around and one spark will set it off. As well as the houses are built closer and closer together the fire will spread and destroy all them houses when the winds pick up as they have.

I wish the media would report all the real facts sometimes.

This is true, watch any documentary about the building of the Hoover Dam or the aqueduct that provides LA with its water, the region was much less populated prior to having these important pieces of infrastructure. But don’t dare tell a leftist with an agenda that, you don’t dare want to throw logic into the discussion.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
This is true, watch any documentary about the building of the Hoover Dam or the aqueduct that provides LA with its water, the region was much less populated prior to having these important pieces of infrastructure. But don’t dare tell a leftist with an agenda that, you don’t dare want to throw logic into the discussion.
These days, by the time the Colorado River reaches the Gulf of California, it's just a trickle, that's how much water is siphoned off along it's route. Californians are looking longingly at diverting some of our water resources south. That's how bad it is.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
These days, by the time the Colorado River reaches the Gulf of California, it's just a trickle, that's how much water is siphoned off along it's route. Californians are looking longingly at diverting some of our water resources south. That's how bad it is.

Grizz
They should build a dozen massive desalination plants. Israel did, as did other middle eastern nations. Capetown needs one desperately. Make them wind or solar powered for all I care, just build them. I've seen footage of the outflow of the Colorado and its shameful. Wasteful, greedy Californians
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM

In BC this past summer, with all of the fires, the environazi's were all screaming climate change, meanwhile, everyone in forest management was trying to scream a little louder, that the lack of proper forest management from BC in the recent past has contributed greatly to the mega fires.

Thankfully, the BC government has taken notice and is now discussing changes to how they manage the forests to help reduce the severity of the fires in upcoming seasons.

That takes away from the climate change propaganda and I'm sure they'll start protesting forest management like they did in the past. These fools would rather see people lose homes and wild life displaced on a massive level rather than give up on their agenda. If BC can manage to reduce the severity of fires due to proper forest management and preventive measures, the envirofreaks won't be able to use the fires as an example for their climate change hype.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
They should build a dozen massive desalination plants. Israel did, as did other middle eastern nations. Capetown needs one desperately. Make them wind or solar powered for all I care, just build them. I've seen footage of the outflow of the Colorado and its shameful. Wasteful, greedy Californians
Or a couple 48” pipelines....of the H2O kind from major rivers in Washington or Oregon.