Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Truckers are the bad guy's pulling two 53' trailers...road hazards..ETC.....LOL yet most of you jump in your 1/2 ton chevie....Haul a 50 foot trailer with the wife, five kids, a quad and a boat or two strapped to the roof and a jet ski behind the trailer and are horribly over loaded. Yet NEVER have to pull into a scale, can drive 25 hours without a break don't have to take a medical every 2-5 years, your trucks are not governed and most chip their Chevies so it can pull the load....... yet grumble about the big rigs on the road...hypocrites
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Truckers are the bad guy's pulling two 53' trailers...road hazards..ETC.....LOL yet most of you jump in your 1/2 ton chevie....Haul a 50 foot trailer with the wife, five kids, a quad and a boat or two strapped to the roof and a jet ski behind the trailer and are horribly over loaded. Yet NEVER have to pull into a scale, can drive 25 hours without a break don't have to take a medical every 2-5 years, your trucks are not governed and most chip their Chevies so it can pull the load....... yet grumble about the big rigs on the road...hypocrites

50' trailer behind a half ton would be interesting.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I think that's where the overall change to a system like I mentioned would improve it. Right now, it's cheap to be able to drive. If you start hitting people in the pocket books, and use that money in the proper place (like straight to traffic enforcement), and you do a ticket blitz for like 2-3 years.
But it's that initial cost that no one wants, and that's where the retesting comes in.

Ex. you didn't signal, ticket.
you picked up your phone, ticket
you're eating while driving, ticket.
tailgating, ticket
speeding, ticket (although this is pretty much the only thing they ticket for now)
you didn't merge properly, ticket. (I can dream right? lol).
driving in the left lane for no reason, ticket.
no mudflaps, ticket.
illegal HID's/lights, ticket.

Ticket EVERY little thing. People would get the hint REAL fast. Attitudes would change.

Driving is so bad it's ridiculous.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
50' trailer behind a half ton would be interesting.
It happens.

I wonder how long this setup is?

How'd ya like ta try passing this bunch of buddies?

I've had 100 times as many problems with four wheel drivers as I've ever had with Trained Professionals driving transport trucks.

Not saying the big rig drivers don't make mistakes or that all of them are saints.
But on average I'd much rather share the road with a hundred transports then one wanna be "Need For Speed" champeen

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Never seen a "keep right except to Pass" sign in Alberta but seen hundreds of "Slower traffic Keep Right" In Alberta both lanes are driving lanes depending on speed.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've had 100 times as many problems with four wheel drivers as I've ever had with Trained Professionals driving transport trucks.

Not saying the big rig drivers don't make mistakes or that all of them are saints.
But on average I'd much rather share the road with a hundred transports then one wanna be "Need For Speed" champeen
No offense at all, but 99% of them are NOT "trained", All that is required is a written test, a road test & air brake course. Done. Some companies may go above and beyond with more training.

If that makes you a "trained professional" then every one who has a Class 5 is a "trained professional". Think about that for a sec.

On average, I'd say YES, they are more observant drivers, but when carrying 10x-20x the weight of a reg car, mistakes are ALOT more dangerous.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM

I know of one company that does not allow their trucks in the left lane on Deerfoot. One passed the owner of the company on Deerfoot, in the left lane, he called the driver, talked to him for a minute about the traffic, then asked if he was in that lane, the guy said no. Owner told him to take the truck back to the shop, park it and go home and don't ever come back.
Most of the bigger fleets govern their trucks, owner-ops, no.
Now that dash cams are available, it is amazing how many examples you can find of stupid drivers cutting off trucks, some of them get hit, some cause indirect accidents. And there are also truck drivers that think they can stop when tailgating someone at speed, seem to think like they are driving their car instead. But, more often than not, it is a car jumping in front of them and slowing down to get into an exit lane.
Alberta was talking about allowing triple 53ft units as an experiment on the QE2 for Walmart and AG foods and etc. Would have to setup a yard outside the city to drop the third trailer. Haven't heard if they tried it yet. Strikes me as they have enough problems controlling the second trailer, alone the third.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
After spending a lot of time in the past couple of years on the Island, the land of the nearly dead, I fully agree that after a certain age, people need to be retested on a regular basis. I would hope that if I ever end up driving with my fists clutched to the steering wheel at a 1000lb psi with my seat straight up and only 3 inches from the steering wheel hitting my brakes every 30 seconds, someone would take me off the road.

These drivers are terrified on the highway, they practice some really scary driving, pulling out in front of highway traffic, unsafe turns, switching lanes without checking and driving 20 kms or slower under the posted limits. They're a danger not only to themselves but everyone else around them.
Bahahaha! So true. Up until 9 years ago I lived my whole life on the island. I don’t know if it’s gotten worse or I just didn’t notice before but your observation is spot-on! The land of the Q-tips...
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
You have a good point but in the area of the Coq that the regs are changing it says 33 out of 35 of the extended closures were commercial trucks. That's an overwhelming percentage. I've been stuck myself a few times in that area because of trucks .
Old 11-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
While I believe that to be true in your neck of the woods. I guarantee a few months driving in and around Calgary would temper that sentiment somewhat. You have to experience it to believe it.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM

I travel to Kelowna a lot pulling my 38ft fiver, I stay right and maintain a 100 km min. These trucks cause way more academy’s than any other driver on the road! I’ve seen six in my last 8 years. I’ve seen one at 120 km driving with his feet while texting in the winter! If I had my way they would have there own separate lanes. I get time is money for these guys but it should not be at peoples lives as a expense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You have a good point but in the area of the Coq that the regs are changing it says 33 out of 35 of the extended closures were commercial trucks. That's an overwhelming percentage. I've been stuck myself a few times in that area because of trucks .
Biggest mistake the Government ever made was allowing trucking outfits to do in house safeties all it did was allow companies to nickle and dime the trucks to death.

EG: worked for a company, the general manager called a meeting said no more repairs on the trucks this month (about the 15th.)....reason...there were 3 pay periods in the month.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:03 AM

FACT, 90% of the Truck, Car accidents are attributed to the Car. 90% of all Truck involved accidents means a death. So what is the answer?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
No offense at all, but 99% of them are NOT "trained", All that is required is a written test, a road test & air brake course. Done. Some companies may go above and beyond with more training.

If that makes you a "trained professional" then every one who has a Class 5 is a "trained professional". Think about that for a sec.

On average, I'd say YES, they are more observant drivers, but when carrying 10x-20x the weight of a reg car, mistakes are ALOT more dangerous.

Not so long ago, getting the license was just the first step. It used to be that a license with no experience would get you nothing more then a swamper position. Unfortunately what you say is becoming the norm with some companies.

The rest still do it old school. It's called on the job training. There are not a lot of Canadian born truck owners who want to risk the liability or a $200,000.00 machine to the hands of a novice.

Of course there are exceptions.Sadly, those exceptions are become a lot more common.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 AM

When I got my licence, a long time ago, the difference was 1 block. Let me explain, 1 block and you got your drivers licence, 2 blocks and you got your chaffer licence.So long ago I can't spell, drove for 4 years with out a licence, have been on the rigs for 60 years and in that time, never had a, at fault, accident, never killed anyone, although I have wanted to. At the MTO office I got into a heated verbal altercation on my 65 birthday saying that since I turned 65 I had to be tested every year, and this was the FULL TEST, and I came back saying that Joe Blow could kill X number of people, and he did not have to take the test. It was interesting to say the least. But times have changed, now you only have to take the test every five years, and I do not know if Joe Blow has to take the test.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
When I got my licence, a long time ago, the difference was 1 block. Let me explain, 1 block and you got your drivers licence, 2 blocks and you got your chaffer licence.So long ago I can't spell, drove for 4 years with out a licence, have been on the rigs for 60 years and in that time, never had a, at fault, accident, never killed anyone, although I have wanted to. At the MTO office I got into a heated verbal altercation on my 65 birthday saying that since I turned 65 I had to be tested every year, and this was the FULL TEST, and I came back saying that Joe Blow could kill X number of people, and he did not have to take the test. It was interesting to say the least. But times have changed, now you only have to take the test every five years, and I do not know if Joe Blow has to take the test.
Which province does did this occur in ?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Ontario!!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Truck bans in the left lane have been in effect for as long as I can remember on parts of many Interstates and work just fine, provided that we are talking 6-lane divided and not 4-lane divided.

Also, all jurisdictions where I've seen this actually enforce the "Keep Right Except to Pass" rule for all traffic (not the silly "Slower Traffic" rule which is meaningless). Imagine trying having to deal with some QE2 bozo doing 105 kph beside a truck doing 106 kph without access to the third lane. (Oh wait. You don't have to imagine it. Just travel any part of QE2 that's still 4-lane-divided on any given day and time).

I drove for years for a company that suspended anyone caught not driving in the right lane, except to exit, pass or allow merging traffic. There is a certain comfort level that goes with watching traffic on one side instead of both. To this day, I follow that rule even in the four-wheeler, often passing slower center lane traffic (also not legal in many other places).

As for B.C. and especially the Coq, a big problem arises in the winter when lighter trucks try to pass slower or spun-out ones, then spin-out in a passing lane. Once all 3 lanes are blocked, the road is effectively closed. Nobody wants to stop while climbing a hill like "the Smasher" because you might not have the traction to get started again. But common sense should dictate that trying the third lane might not be the smartest move either. Too bad common sense in less common these days, so I can see why B.C. would be considering this move.

A couple of other comments: 1) As a "lapsed" -- but still licensed and occasionally active -- professional driver, I think a lot of the pride and professionalism has been diminished in the industry since I entered it 40 years ago. Given the current rates/wages and demands of the job, I guess it's not a surprise. But there's still a lot of real pros out there you hardly ever notice. 2) For each extended length double some people want to ban, you would add one more full tractor trailer to the current traffic pattern. That's a lot more trucks and drivers! 3) Eliminate trucks on weekends? Hahaha. (It was a joke, right)? Any idea how much road tax this industry pays through registration and fuel tax? Didn't think so. Any idea how much stuff gets shipped on Fridays? Like going to the store and buying what you want when you want it? Can you think of anything you own that did not travel by truck? [Edit: one more] Do you think truckers like mixing with "tourists" on long weekends? Hardly. But it's part of the job.

Last edited by Fifth Wheel; 11-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.