Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 11:45 PM

There’s so many things that go into a windmill footprint that most don’t even think of. I took a pavement design course where they showed the impact of constructing a wind farm on the local roads. All those pieces of equipment and materials that were already mentioned have to be hauled to site. The transportation itself creates a large footprint. Most times the roads aren’t considered in the equation. You take a road with a 20 or 25 year design life and haul all those loads over it and you’re reducing the life down to 1-2 years. Rebuild the road 20 years early X ##km and you have a huge footprint that didn’t get factored in to just how environmentally friendly these windmills are.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
WHOOMMMMP,WHOOOMMMP,,,,WHHHOOOOOMMMP Hour after hour after hour. Research is your friend.
I guess if you lived underneath one it could make you go crazy
Old 04-09-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
There’s so many things that go into a windmill footprint that most don’t even think of. I took a pavement design course where they showed the impact of constructing a wind farm on the local roads. All those pieces of equipment and materials that were already mentioned have to be hauled to site. The transportation itself creates a large footprint. Most times the roads aren’t considered in the equation. You take a road with a 20 or 25 year design life and haul all those loads over it and you’re reducing the life down to
1-2 years. Rebuild the road 20 years early X ##km and
you have a huge footprint that didn’t get factored in to
just how environmentally friendly these windmills are.
Exactly, people with no clue as to all factors involved in larger projects , completely overlook all of the emissions created building and maintaining the project, or resulting from the project. They look at windmills in the field, see no emissions while it operates, with no thought as to how those windmills got there, or how they are maintained. It's that ignorance, that makes it easy for them to buy into the green propaganda.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It will take more serious outages to get some people to come to their senses, and some of the real green fanatics will never listen.
None of them do anyway because reality, and the law of cause and effect, don't apply to them.
Must be nice to be "special".
Old 04-09-2024, 08:35 AM

Not everyone is a fan of wind turbines

https://www.windconcernsontario.ca/

Besides the noise, there is also evidence that suggest the vibration can damage aquifers and contaminate (or completely block) water wells.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Not everyone is a fan of wind turbines
Notably birds
Old 04-09-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
The problem is storing it not making it until find a way to store it wind will not work
Alberta uses up to 12,000MW per hour. The cost of 12,000 MWs of batteries are 12 billion dollars. Per hour. So 288 billion per day. Lets just say 5 days. That is nearly 1.5 trillion dollars. Now after 5 days of no wind or extreme cold on the 6th day you better hope that the wind and solar not only magically supply 12,000MW per hour, but an additional 12,000MW to start charging all those $1,500,000,000,000 worth of discharged batteries that are freezing and failing.

Yeah, storing wind isn’t gonna work that well either.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:37 PM

Carbon tax is a farce. Until China cleans up its act nothing will change. We and the rest of the world need to concentrate on forcing them to clean up. All the trillions that are spent giving little to basically no effect are simply wasted virtue signal dollars we can't afford to spend.

Last number I saw was at least 400 new mines (and not dinky little mines) around the world will be required to supply the minerals and metals to build batteries, to supply copper for the grid, etc will be enormous. The resources just to create these mines is huge, The chemical wastes from these mines, the real estate this will gobble up just to get these finite and rare raw materials to be shipped and manufactured into final product is rediculous.

50-100 years from now we will probably look back and wonder what were we thinking. We tore up half the earth sourcing petroleum products and now have torn up the other half sourcing materials to change to electricity that hasn't solved the problem and caused others that will no doubt rear their ugly head. We'll probably be saying to ourselves why didn't we simply refine and advance technologies to make our reliable petroleum more efficient and cleaner, we were on the verge back then and walked away only to make another mess electrifing everything. By that time China will be still using coal, technology improvements will make it impressively clean energy by then and they will be laughing at the rest of the world going broke suffering from brown outs and constant power shortages.

In the end electrification will not be the panacea we envision. It will be another filthy business controlled by a handful of giant corporations with a lot of dirty little secrets. The green corporate and gov't machine pushing this agenda are not telling us the whole story... only telling us what we want to hear and what they want us to hear. It has become a quasi religion to a large segent of the population.

Why so many people have so much faith in these 'green' govt's and 'green' corporations blows my mind. They have never and never will represent the interest of the people and environment. They are all about money. People need to take their green colored glasses off and look at the long term big picture.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Sorry Urban, I don't think you are correct. These charts come from government of Canada website regarding the port of Vancouver. I think about half this coal originates it the US and goes to Vancouver by rail. West coast ports in the US refuse to ship it for environmental reasons, so they ship it by rail to "environmentally friendly" canukistan and out the back door it goes!!

Sorry for the poor quality, but I think they are readable.
Good catch! And the report you posted doesn't include the shipments from the Prince Rupert terminal. The information I found from both private and public sources is wildly conflicting and in may cases it is out of date.
Although I couldn't find the original source again, it is possible that the "no thermal coal exports" may have come from a Teck Resources report that I took out of context.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-11-2024, 07:52 PM

This article from the Canadian Press says it’s Thermal Coal being burned to make electricity primarily in China. And it’s only going to be increasing.

It would seem that it doesn’t cause GloBULL warming when CHINA Burns it. Only when we do. 😡

https://calgarysun.com/business/ener...b-895876e850ee
Old 04-11-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
There’s so many things that go into a windmill footprint that most don’t even think of. I took a pavement design course where they showed the impact of constructing a wind farm on the local roads. All those pieces of equipment and materials that were already mentioned have to be hauled to site. The transportation itself creates a large footprint. Most times the roads aren’t considered in the equation. You take a road with a 20 or 25 year design life and haul all those loads over it and you’re reducing the life down to 1-2 years. Rebuild the road 20 years early X ##km and you have a huge footprint that didn’t get factored in to just how environmentally friendly these windmills are.
After Lethbridge county approved a gazillion wind mills east of Barron's and champion the dirty buggers said the feedlots needed to pay for road maintenance and they came up with a permanent per cow cow tax on every cow in Lethbridge county.
They did this to build up the roads for windmill construction and I bet that tax will remain in place long after those windmills are abandoned