Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default Milk River Country

Hello all...

Its been at least 10 years since I hunted down in the Milk River country for either Pronghorns or Antlered Mule deer. Can anyone provide a sense of how antelope and mule deer populations are currently doing down in WMU 102 and does anyone know why the number of draw tags for antlered mule deer is so high in 102...

Many thanks

Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Same reason the Antlered Mule Deer tags are so high in 118/119. I ask you 700+ tags in 119 alone??????????? WTH, there ain't 700 male deer in the zone. Double doe tags?????????. I am convinced the goverment is trying to kill off every deer this side of the sask border. I have hunted 118/119 for 25 years and last year I had trouble getting permission from people I have know that long account of the number of tags the Goverment is giving out. Not sure if it involved with the CWD threat or not, (foolishness anyway, why kill off a whole population for a couple of sick deer.). But Thats the way I see it. Maybe someone else here can enlighten us on this situation.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM

I was drawn in 102 for mule deer 2 years ago and only had a 3 day window i was able to hunt it. I saw lots of antleope but i wasn't super impressed with the mule deer. I ended up with a gross 164 7x5. I'm sure if i had more time I could have gotten something bigger but i was happy. It all depends on how much time you have to hunt and what your looking for. There were lots of deer but lots of hunters aswell. there is a huge section of public land there that was just crawling with guys so i would try and get permission from some land owners. But its a fun place to hunt mule deer!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM

Go east in 108 for bigger mulies.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 AM

i think darrel f hit the nail on the head.

102 and the sones around the park have been pounded the last few years. Zones like 108 and 104 have stuck to more traditional tag numbers and the hunting there is still a much better quality.

I think our government is really missing the boat in these southeastern zones.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Bulletproof ;you'll be surprised about this year in 108!! They are going to be giving out triple doe mule tags per draw. Also they are giving 25% more buck tags this year too!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Feathers Game View Post
Bulletproof ;you'll be surprised about this year in 108!! They are going to be giving out triple doe mule tags per draw. Also they are giving 25% more buck tags this year too!
I am sure glad to hear about the triple doe tags in 108.....they need to reduce some does big time!

The buck tag although I'm not surprised, I'm a bit disappointed. It would be nice to hammer a bunch of does and get the ratio looking a little bit better out that way....
Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Couldn't agree more with you Rackmastr!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with you Rackmastr!
That right there is almost worth quoting in my signature line, as it doesnt appear TOO often....lol

As a side note, I cant wait to get out with some friends and shoot a bunch of does out on the prairies!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
haha well i guess it was just a matter of time. I do agree with getting buck-doe ratios in check but increasing buck tags has really hurt alot of the other zones for trophy quality.