Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Default 3/8 water line Edmonton area source?

I am building a water ram pump and looking for a supplier of 3/8" hose that will be outside for the spring, summer and fall. I need 600'.

I am hoping someone will know where to buy this at a good price.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 AM

try bartle&gibson or sinclair supply in edmonton
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 AM

I've seen some ram pump installs on YouTube and they look pretty interesting. My question is why choose 3/8"? You'd get better flow out of 1/2" or 3/4" and wouldn't be stuck trying to adapt to a less common size. Also, for a ram pump you'll not want to use hose as it would absorb/dampen some of the pressure pulse and negatively effect the pumps efficiency (if not negate it entirely).
Old 05-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've seen some ram pump installs on YouTube and they look pretty interesting. My question is why choose 3/8"? You'd get better flow out of 1/2" or 3/4" and wouldn't be stuck trying to adapt to a less common size. Also, for a ram pump you'll not want to use hose as it would absorb/dampen some of the pressure pulse and negatively effect the pumps efficiency (if not negate it entirely).
I should have clarified.

The intake for the pump and components are 1" (check valves, fittings ect.) which I already have built and tested it with a garden hose and it works.

The 3/8" pipe would be for piping the water to where it needs to go. From what I have read only 10% of the water going into the pump is actually pumped so I figured 3/8" would be the way to go. Do you think 1/2" would also work?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Having too small a diameter tubing downstream of the pump will reduce output as a long piece of 3/8" would be quite restrictive, I would personally go with 3/4".
Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Having too small a diameter tubing downstream of the pump will reduce output as a long piece of 3/8" would be quite restrictive, I would personally go with 3/4".
I totally agree with caber, you'd be much better off with 3/4" especially for the length your wanting to use. But then again two plumbers might not know what we're talking about
Old 05-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Another possibility would be to use the ram pump to fill an elevated tank which then would provide head pressure to the system it's feeding. Having the elevated tank situated close to the ram pump would negate pressure loss of a long downstream pipe and increase the ultimate flow rate. For every cycle of the ram pump the more downstream mass there is to move the less effective it will be so far as flow rate goes. If a guy could build a small tower with a 50 gallon drum or 1000l tote on it they'd have a lot of options in what to do with it.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'll go with 3/4".
Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Another possibility would be to use the ram pump to fill an elevated tank which then would provide head pressure to the system it's feeding. Having the elevated tank situated close to the ram pump would negate pressure loss of a long downstream pipe and increase the ultimate flow rate. For every cycle of the ram pump the more downstream mass there is to move the less effective it will be so far as flow rate goes. If a guy could build a small tower with a 50 gallon drum or 1000l tote on it they'd have a lot of options in what to do with it.
My plan is to put elevated barrels tied together in between the garden and the chicken run so I can supply with spring water. I have a spring fed pond that has an overflow that drops about 6'. The pond is about 500' away and about 20' lower than where I want to put the barrels.

Lots of possibilities for sure and this is all new to me. Main goal was to get different water than what comes from the well as the garden doesn't like my well water and the water ram pump seems like a good idea as no power is required.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Corix Water Products

When I installed an underground irrigation system I found these guys to have good prices on pipe and fittings.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Green Line Hose and Fitting has everything and will custom cut and fit whatever ends on you need. Can't vouch for price or retail service; I just know they exist and I go there for work stuff a few times each year.