Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Default beyond frustrated

I've been looking in on the forums for a while now trying to get some good information to get me pointed in the right direction. Not only am I relatively new to Alberta, I'm also brand new to ice fishing. So I'm starting from zero both in terms of where to go and what the heck to do once I get there. I've had stacks of questions that I would love to ask, but every now and again I see someone like me asking the same questions that I'd like the answer to but the responses they get can range from elusive to down right ignorant. While I understand that the whole "lake x" routine is you protecting your favorite spot but for God's sake, how the hell does someone new to town get started?
I've asked the staff at all the fishing stores and picked up a few names of lakes from here but today I was at Chickakoo and drilled dozens of holes from one end to the other and back again. I used 5 different baits at all different depths with a dozen different lure/jig combinations. Not an effin' nibble....
Are there just no good lakes in the Edmonton area? I've tried at least 10 different lakes and the results are iffy at best. Could someone please at least give me an estimated drive time to Lake X? I'd really like to find it.
Anyhow, that's just my rant. Feel free to impart some wisdom if you have some. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

Use the fishing request/buddy thread at the top of the page and go fishin with a local or find the weednesday wing night thread, go meet some board members, shoot the chit and arrange a meet and greet on the ice,, from there you'll be set.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM

First need to know what you want to fish for....are you catching to keep? Or release?

You know that there are trout in Chickakoo right? How big we're the jigs you were using?

LC
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

Contact "BGSH", He goes out all the time, I'm sure he'd be more then willing to help you out.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinboldt View Post
I've been looking in on the forums for a while now trying to get some good information to get me pointed in the right direction. Not only am I relatively new to Alberta, I'm also brand new to ice fishing. So I'm starting from zero both in terms of where to go and what the heck to do once I get there. I've had stacks of questions that I would love to ask, but every now and again I see someone like me asking the same questions that I'd like the answer to but the responses they get can range from elusive to down right ignorant. While I understand that the whole "lake x" routine is you protecting your favorite spot but for God's sake, how the hell does someone new to town get started?
I've asked the staff at all the fishing stores and picked up a few names of lakes from here but today I was at Chickakoo and drilled dozens of holes from one end to the other and back again. I used 5 different baits at all different depths with a dozen different lure/jig combinations. Not an effin' nibble....
Are there just no good lakes in the Edmonton area? I've tried at least 10 different lakes and the results are iffy at best. Could someone please at least give me an estimated drive time to Lake X? I'd really like to find it.
Anyhow, that's just my rant. Feel free to impart some wisdom if you have some. Thanks.

Hahahaha....I'm not laughin at ya my friend.
I recently moved here too and took me a while to get to know the lay of the land and the fish.Also...I just did my first ice fishing trip yesterday with a work buddy and I luv it.

Do some reading on line about ice fishing.
Just keep tryin and talkin to people....it'll come to ya.
Good luck
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM

ha welcome to AO! i often get hate mail. wab is always good for c&r. i heard from a few folks that chikakoo was dead/nearly dead. personally ive found fishing slow last week or so
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Go to Nakamun Lake and catch perch all day to get rid of your frustration. Then you'll have more patience to sit on a trout lake where you might catch 2 or 3 trout per day. That's what I do.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Send me a PM and Ill help you as best that I can. Ill give you accurate info to places I fish myself, let you know what I like to use, how I present it. In exchange all I ask if that you limit your keep and not keep your limit unless you are certain all fish will be eaten.

Let me know where you live as well and Ill point you in the right direction.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Here are a couple pieces of advice - please understand these are not necessarily my opinions, but rather my observations ..........

1) If you are new member with very few posts you are less likely to get help. This is because many members have done hard time to scout lakes, develop techniques etc.... and there are some tendencies to be wary around folks who have "not earned their stripes".

2) Sometimes people will post a lakes name, (lets call it lake "B"), as a red hering newbie bait. Meanwhile they are over at lake x and enjoy driving by lake B on their way back from X with a full limit of trout, after posting their pics from lake X which were allegedly from lake B.

This is amusing when a once casual lake gets overrun days after a fresh and sexy post.

What's even funnier is that lake B has zero fish and was winter killed.

Some people are sick.

FYI - There are a few lakes on this forum that are bait for newbies. I think it Ok just to say ....... sorry I'm not telling you which lake that was ..........

ON THE OTHER HAND .......

stay patient, contribute what you can, get out there and do your time. send a few PM's. respect the advice and confidentiality of information and spots others give you.

I responded to a PM once, was very open about a honey hole, asked for confidentiality, only to find, a few days later, pics on the forum and the spot was soon overrun with guys. Weird thing was - I had never, in years, ever seen anyone out there, and in the space of a month ................ history ........ shoulder to shoulder spin casters and spoon chuckers.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 PM

I should answer one of your other questions - lake X is in the south by Brooks, and over by Lloydminster, and over by Athabasca ........... the point is .......... there quite a few lake X's - a good clue is to look an see where a member is from ....... chances are his home lake is a few hours around him.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Your starting the way most of us have. Just keep at it and enjoy your time outdoors.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Just a thought.

Read these forums, there are many threads started about specific lakes...then use google to see where they are, or even ask in the thread.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhome View Post
Just a thought.

Read these forums, there are many threads started about specific lakes...then use google to see where they are, or even ask in the thread.
This is what I have done quite a bit
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Alberta fishing guide

Check out your nearest fishing store or Canadian Tire and pick up Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing guide. Shows the vast majority of lakes, streams, etc in |Alberta. BEL
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Head over to Iceshanty.com and start reading. Tonnes of info over there to help your out...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM

PM sent
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much for all of your help. I've received some genuinely helpful responses particularly through pm's. I really appreciate it. I grew up in Saskatchewan with a fishing rod in my hand but as I said, ice fishing is new. Someone asked what I want to catch etc... I've always fished for pike and walleye but moving here has sort of challenged me to try for species that I've never gone for in the past. I am technically wanting to take some food home to feed my family - and justify the time away to my wife...but a great day of C+R is fine too. I've never focused on trout, or perch before and I've never even seen a burbot but would love to give it a try. I guess I'm mostly looking for new experiences. I'll definitely be at wing night this wednesday. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM

Wing night is the place to meet fellow AO-lers. Might be able to line yourself up with a fishing expert for a lesson or two. Experts on wings! LMAO.
Seriously, Great bunch of people meet there and are vary knowlegable of fishing too.
I just wish that place was close enough to home to walk home. One beer is just not enough! If you know what I mean. 2 and I'm probly over the limit.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default kevin...

[hey buddy just p.m. me I go fishing alone a lot you're more than welcome to come

Mike

QUOTE=kevinboldt;1787326]Thanks so much for all of your help. I've received some genuinely helpful responses particularly through pm's. I really appreciate it. I grew up in Saskatchewan with a fishing rod in my hand but as I said, ice fishing is new. Someone asked what I want to catch etc... I've always fished for pike and walleye but moving here has sort of challenged me to try for species that I've never gone for in the past. I am technically wanting to take some food home to feed my family - and justify the time away to my wife...but a great day of C+R is fine too. I've never focused on trout, or perch before and I've never even seen a burbot but would love to give it a try. I guess I'm mostly looking for new experiences. I'll definitely be at wing night this wednesday. Thanks again everyone.[/QUOTE]